what's the diff between a 22 fret guitar and a 24 one .
besides the number of frets of course .
does it affect the sound of the guitar ?
Maybe guitars ain't my thing . I'll try the cello .
The pickup placement for the neck pickup is different, due to there being 2 more frets on a 24 fret. Therefore the sound will be different. I don't think it really matters too much, considering some people that had the best neck pickup tone used a 24 fret (Shawn Lane in particular).
Well, obviously it affects the sound, it'll make the guitar be able to reach higher pitches. If you mean like you had a 22 fret and 24 fret guitar that was exactly the same, and you ran them through the same amp, I doubt you would notice much of a difference, as long as you didn't use the extra 2 frets (enabling higher pitches).
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
It gives you a few extra fretted notes at your disposal. That's all. It doesn't affect the sound at all, and it has nothing to do with the scale length. You could have a longer scale with a 22-fret guitar than with a 24-fret guitar. It would just change the spacing between the frets by a few millimeters. The extra fretted notes are nice to have, though.
I read somewhere about why Ibanez didn't make any 24 fret S-series... The 22 fret has some kind of sweet spot for pinch harmonics (like satch squeals?). Don't trust me on this, I have no idea, but I do remember reading that somewhere.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Nov 26, 2009,
oh thanks for the info guys .
cos a friend of mine just bought a guitar with 24 frets .
another had one with 22 frets so i just wanted to know the diff .
thanks ...
Maybe guitars ain't my thing . I'll try the cello .
Quote by BlisteringDDj
I read somewhere about why Ibanez didn't make any 24 fret S-series... The 22 fret has some kind of sweet spot for pinch harmonics (like satch squeals?). Don't trust me on this, I have no idea, but I do remember reading that somewhere.

It definitely affects harmonics when using the neck pickup, and I personally like the neck harmonics on the neck placement of a 24 fret guitar more.
usually a 24 fret will have a 25.5" scale and a 22 fret will have a 24.75" scale. shorter scale means more of rhythm, longer scale means more treble, and usually more of a lead tone. let me know if im wrong but thats usually how i've seen it...
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I don´t think that scale length and number of frets correlate - if they did then it´s a independent factor from fret number that only by chance happens to correlate. I actually see myself more short scale guitars that have 24.
Quote by flanders_91
usually a 24 fret will have a 25.5" scale and a 22 fret will have a 24.75" scale. shorter scale means more of rhythm, longer scale means more treble, and usually more of a lead tone. let me know if im wrong but thats usually how i've seen it...

Like Vlasco stated no. of frets and scale length don't really have anything to do with each other after all you could have like 30 frets and have 24.5" scale but the gap between the frets high up on the fretboard would be next to useless.
I wouldn't recommend buying a guitar based on the number of frets it has. In all honesty, unless you are into thrash or shred you will very very rarely go past about the 20th fret. My guitar is a 22-fret, and the only time I've wished for more frets is the solo to Metallica's "Master of Puppets" uses it just a little bit. I've played my friend Peter's Yamaha with 24 frets and the top frets are really really hard to use because they are so small.

Then again, whatever works for you. If you want 24 frets I'd look into Ibanez.
I prefer the harmonics of a 22 fret but 24 frets is nice to have too. I rarely go past 22 on my Diablo, but it's cool to know those extra two are there.

TS - I'd recommend trying both types of guitar and making your own conclusions.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
The number of frets also doesn't have to do with pickup placement. A guitar with 24 frets needs to have the neck pickup pushed back a little, but a guitar with 22 frets doesn't always have the pickup right on the edge of the fretboard. Just look at Strats and SGs. But the neck pickup location does affect tone.

A guitar with 24 frets usually has better fret access than one with 22 especially with bolt-ons.

The number of frets has nothing to do with scale length. There are 25.5" guitars with 22 frets and there are 24.75" guitars with 24 frets.

I do think there's a tonal difference guitars that have 22 and 24 frets. But there's no way to prove the differences since they don't really make identical guitars with both number of frets. The number of frets affects where the body and neck meet on a lot of guitars, especially bolt-ons. There is a lot more body wood between the neck and bridge on a 22 fret guitar so it would probably resonate differently. The spot where the body meets the neck on a 22-fretter gets stronger vibration than on a 24-fretter. There should theoretically be a difference in tone, but it's not like we can say one is better than another or even explain the differences factually since they don't make models of the same guitar with varying number of frets. Adding the 2 extra frets usually isn't as simple as just extending the fretboard. The neck itself is usually longer and the area from the joint to the bridge is shorter to make those two frets actually playable.
Quote by Vlasco
I don´t think that scale length and number of frets correlate - if they did then it´s a independent factor from fret number that only by chance happens to correlate. I actually see myself more short scale guitars that have 24.

oh okay. i know the LTD ec-1000 is 24.75" and 24 frets. thats the only one i've seen but i dont pay a whole lot of attention.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
the only difference between the two (like has already been said) would be the placement of the neck pickup. i don't think i'd ever be able to hear a difference, but i've heard some people claim that they can.

anyway, i prefer a 24 fret guitar just because i play some music that will use those upper frets, but it's definitely not a requirement of mine. actually i'm getting ready to sell my only 24 fret guitar i own at the moment haha so i guess it really isn't important to me at all
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Well, you can reach higher notes on a 24-fret guitar.
Also, the neck pickup tends to be lower, affecting its sound marginally.

I myself have a 24-fret guitar, and I use the last 2 frets in certain occasions to muck around.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Nov 26, 2009,
Harmonics are most prominent at the 12th and 24th fret. I think the pickup is placed where the 24th fret would be; hence you get a richer tone from placing the pickup there. Also; along the neck you get a more mellow tone the further you move away from the bridge.