Okay, say I was going to make a 3-piece maple neck, would I get the 3 pieces of maple big enough so that I can cut out the head stock attached, or would it be better to do a more economical thing and do some sort of scarf joint for the head stock? Would a scarf joint affect stability, and is it any easier? I want to waste the least wood, so I can spend less, but I also don't want my headstock to snap off.

EDIT:
A pic to help explain, if it is a little confusing.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Last edited by MonkeyLink07 at Nov 26, 2009,
One of the problems with that is he is building a non-angled Strat neck and I'm building just a standard Gibson neck. I checked on stewmac and they don't have the right size maple electric neck blanks, they are not thick enough. So would I get 3 of them and laminate them together sideways then cut it like the first picture?

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
One of the problems with that is he is building a non-angled Strat neck and I'm building just a standard Gibson neck. I checked on stewmac and they don't have the right size maple electric neck blanks, they are not thick enough. So would I get 3 of them and laminate them together sideways then cut it like the first picture?

You are far better off doing a scarf joint...far better. Yes, laminating and cutting from the full block would work, but I doubt it would be as strong as a scarf. You will also use less material.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
You can do it either way.

I prefer the look of a neck out of one piece of wood, also if you use one big block of wood you can get more than one neck out of it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
You can do it either way.

I prefer the look of a neck out of one piece of wood, also if you use one big block of wood you can get more than one neck out of it.

This would be good, but I am saving every single penny I have just trying to get the parts for this guitar, the wood would most likely never get used. Although, how exactly would I get more than one neck? would it be a one piece and a scarf joint?

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
This would be good, but I am saving every single penny I have just trying to get the parts for this guitar, the wood would most likely never get used. Although, how exactly would I get more than one neck? would it be a one piece and a scarf joint?

Absent is right. But I am not too sure how much strength the sideways lamination would have, as it still relies on the grain structure at the bend; compared to a scarf joint.
You could always add a "Volute", which is like a bump at the back of the bend and adds thickness to that area.

To get two angled necks from one bit of wood, you mark out two necks, in opposite directions on the lump of wood.

That was one lump of wood.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Nov 27, 2009,
hmmm... well I can see how that would work, but I didn't think mine would be big enough to get 2 out of. I don't care much about how it looks because i'm planning on rock maple and maybe black over it.
The problem now is that I don't know where I would get the wood. I checked on stewmac, cause they seem pretty cheap and all the neck blanks that are big enough are mahogany. I was planning on getting their maple neck blank, which is only 13/16" thick, so one wouldn't be enough for an angled headstock, but if I had 3 I could laminate them together then make a neck without a scarf joint. if I have enough wood for 2 necks, then I could cut the other one out as well.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
hmmm... well I can see how that would work, but I didn't think mine would be big enough to get 2 out of. I don't care much about how it looks because i'm planning on rock maple and maybe black over it.
The problem now is that I don't know where I would get the wood. I checked on stewmac, cause they seem pretty cheap and all the neck blanks that are big enough are mahogany. I was planning on getting their maple neck blank, which is only 13/16" thick, so one wouldn't be enough for an angled headstock, but if I had 3 I could laminate them together then make a neck without a scarf joint. if I have enough wood for 2 necks, then I could cut the other one out as well.

Well. Seeing as you are about {.......} that far from Canada, may I suggest this dude?

FineWoods Ebay

He does good stuff at great prices. Stewmac will bend you over.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Thanks, although $47 shipping on a $20 piece of wood seems a little much, also, I think I might feel bad covering up that really nice maple with paint... But i'll keep my eye on him.

EDIT:
That is canadian dollars, using an exchange rate calculator, I got it to be $63 which is still more than what I would have to pay for the 3 pieces of maple from stewmac.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Last edited by MonkeyLink07 at Nov 27, 2009,
Quote by MonkeyLink07
Thanks, although $47 shipping on a $20 piece of wood seems a little much, also, I think I might feel bad covering up that really nice maple with paint... But i'll keep my eye on him.

I think that is teh International price. Probably be cheaper by land...dunno though.

And yes, you would feel bad painting it...and so you should.

Point is, if you can get that sort of wood real cheap then no need to paint it. Of course, a painted neck may be what you are after.

If you want to use rock maple, then buy it from a timber merchant...not screwmac.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
ya, I just found it on the American Ebay, and it is only like $40 with shipping included. Also my uncle is a woodworker so he might be able to get me some discounts somewhere. The only reason I wanted rock maple is so that I wouldn't feel bad painting over it. Something with a figure like that should be shown, but I don't think that a wood that light would look good on what I am planning.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
ya, I just found it on the American Ebay, and it is only like $40 with shipping included. Also my uncle is a woodworker so he might be able to get me some discounts somewhere. The only reason I wanted rock maple is so that I wouldn't feel bad painting over it. Something with a figure like that should be shown, but I don't think that a wood that light would look good on what I am planning.

Obviously don't use it of you are going to paint it, but he is a good source for pretty wood.

Go to a timber merchant, they will likely plane it all up for you as well if you ask and be much cheaper than screwmac.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Last edited by Skeet UK at Nov 27, 2009,
Go to a local lumber yard or something and pick up some hard maple, you should be able to find it cheaper than online.

Here is one way of doing it, now please note this requires a large lump of wood and the desire to make at least 3 guitars with identical necks

Thats a side on view (obviously) and if you dont have a scarf joint, you should have a volute (lump of wood under the nut) otherwise your necks will break as much as Gibsons. Also I always make laminate necks of at least 3 pieces, so that means taking 3 slabs of wood and gluing them together to form a block and then cutting the necks out.

Now you dont have to use a block big enough to get a middle neck out of it like in that pic, but if you do have a huge block, thats quite an efficient way of cutting it.

You can always remove the middle neck and just have the two necks with volutes cut from one smaller piece.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Okay, that is probably what I will end up doing. Now as for the volute, do you have a real picture of what that would look like, or would it just be easier for me to cut then re-glue the wood together as a scarf joint?

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Google image search guitar volute or headstock volute

http://alembic.com/club/messages/402/10183.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/voodoo_child777/Ibanez%202009/104.jpg

It's up to you which way you do it, personally I prefer no scarf and volute down to aesthetics, but from a economic view go for a scarf.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976