I was fiddling around with chords and made this progression:

Em7-Am7-D7-Gmaj7-Em7-Am7-D7-C13-Em7-Am7-D7-Gmaj7-C7-F#m7b5-B7-B7sus4-B7

I'm not going to write out a tab since the people who are able to answer this will know how it sounds anyway.

Now I was wondering, is this like some standard progression in jazz? Because it seems very familiar to me...
looking at it quickly without an instrument I'd say it sounds familiar because you are using ii-V-I as the ending of a couple phrases (for one of which you seem to comp IV) Also, you're going down in 5ths, which is a common thing to do.

Oh and the ii-V-I is probably the most commonly used progression in jazz, not sure if you already knew that but just to be safe
It's just a little progression in the key of G, with a lot of dominant chords some of which are secondary dominants.
When analyzing harmony in jazz, I suggest looking at the chords separate relationship with each other. Many jazz melodies are harmonized simply by stringing together a series of dominant cadences.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
That B7 at the end of the progression leading to the Em7 is a secondary dominant. It's a dominant chord 'borrowed' from the following chords key, making for a smoother more consonant cadence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_dominant
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

- John Coltrane
i - v - iv - v - i - v - iv - v - bVI7
I'm not sure how to explain that Bb13, but the rest is just pretty straightforward.
Quote by thsrayas

- John Coltrane
Last edited by 7even at Nov 26, 2009,