Well.. about 3 months ago i decided i'd start learning guitar, I fell at the first hurdle of finding a way to learn, and promptly decided I'd get a few simple tabs and stuff.. I can play some easy songs, But I don't seem to get much better at all, and I practice every day for about 30 mins-1 hour...

Basically, I would like to know if paying for a guitar teacher is REALLY that much better, because being 15 and all, i'd like to know if my small income is worth putting into it.

P.S

Any advice for a practice amp? Mine is 30W i think and it is VERY tempermental, and volume controls dont always work.

My Guitar is a Yamaha RGX-110 (which i got from my aunt for free =D)

thanks ^^
Last edited by Doomlaw at Nov 26, 2009,
check out some on line sites that teach guitar. jamplay.com is good. a lot of different teachers and can learn a bunch of genres. learning songs doesnt mean you are learning to play guitar. there is a lot more to it than that. pick up books on how to play even. there are a bunch of ways to go about it.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Hi,

I think there are many of us who have learned by themselves to play the guitar, or whatever instrument. I think the most important thing (int he beginning) is to play things that are fun so you will getter better and better as the time goes. But if you are aiming to be a godlike player in say, one year then a teacher would be better to get it quicker!

Just keep it going, and taking a break time after time isn't that bad as you might think!
i learned everything i know about how to play guitar and anything related to guitars via this website...i have been playing for 10 months now all self-taught...in some ways teachers are better but you can learn what a guitar teacher teaches you through youtube like scales and fret tapping etc. so i wouldnt go and get a teacher. instead take the money you would pay for the teacher and get a new amp
Quote by The_Rooster
Dude its a guitar, not an nuclear weapon...... unless your Chuck Norris.

Quote by RapeStove
That's what she said.

Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavy 25w
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss BF-3
A good teacher can help immensely - they can present stuff to you in a logical order, save you a lot of time trawling the net to find stuff out, give you regular feedback and pick up on your weaknesses and help you work on them before they become an issue. Its also good for motivation knowing that there's someone there at the end of the week that is interested in your progress. The tricky part is finding a good teacher.

Failing that I'd find a website with a structured course that you can follow to guide you through the basics.
my advice would be learn some chords, and try to listen to songs and figure out how to play from there. This is known as learning by ear, and is very difficult at first but should help you in the long run. if not, there is a site justinguitar.com that gives free lessons for the guitar, as well as how to play some songs free. The entire site is free, so check it out.
I've been playing for 2 years now, and I've learned it all by myself, with some help from my friends and internet.
Everybody sais I'm good, and if I keep playing like this, I'll be a 'guitar hero' in no-time.
That's what they say, though, don't believe it myself to be honest.
i had a tutor at my old primary school for 3 month but i was just learning little songs like twinkle twinkle little star and crap like that lol but as soon as i learnt how to read tablature and play barre chords i was set now i have a tutor though because my soloing and improv sounds crap i have had my proper private guitar tutor for about 8 month and my playing feels miles better than ever before its good to learn yourself but its best to invest in a tutor mate btw i only pay £10 for half an hour tutition bloody bargain
It's always useful to have a guide to teach you about theory and picking patterns and simple licks for different songs, but that doesnt always mean it's really necessary, I had a teacher for 2 years, quit started teaching myself a bit, but then got bored so went on to another teacher.

BTW Guy above me, I get 1 hour for £10.
My name is Jack.
It depends on what you want to learn. Make sure that your teacher is going to teach you what you want to learn. If you want to learn technique and theory, you don't want a teacher who will just show you how to play songs and vice versa.
Its helps to have some one musical to let you know how you are getting on. My wife does this for me as to her my playing is either good or bad with nothing inbetween which I find a great help. If she says it is bad then I need to improve.

Appart from that I practice myself on anything that interests me or I want to improve on.
Bad teacher = complete waste of money and pretty common.

Good teacher = really helpful, and you will pick up stuff quicker, better for learning technique and find out your weaknesses quicker BUT they are a commodity and a pricey one at that.

Self-teaching/Internet = helpful, you can go at your own pace and whenever you want, don't have to go through the problems of finding a good teacher etc BUT ultimately I don't think you'll learn as efficiently as if you have a good teacher.

On balance I'd say unless you can go on a recommendation then it may be worth self-teaching. What you have to make sure you do though is to practice > play and try and see whether you're picking up bad habits or not.
Quote by RavenCake
I've been playing for 2 years now, and I've learned it all by myself, with some help from my friends and internet.
Everybody says I'm good, and if I keep playing like this, I'll be a 'guitar hero' in no-time.
That's what they say, though, don't believe it myself to be honest.

Hate to put you down, but non-guitar players and beginners tend to be impressed very easily. This being said, they like what you can do, so I'd use that to keep getting better.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Doomlaw
Well.. about 3 months ago i decided i'd start learning guitar, I fell at the first hurdle of finding a way to learn, and promptly decided I'd get a few simple tabs and stuff.. I can play some easy songs, But I don't seem to get much better at all, and I practice every day for about 30 mins-1 hour...

Basically, I would like to know if paying for a guitar teacher is REALLY that much better, because being 15 and all, i'd like to know if my small income is worth putting into it.

P.S

Any advice for a practice amp? Mine is 30W i think and it is VERY tempermental, and volume controls dont always work.

thanks ^^

Man, get a teacher. Seriously, don't waste your time. A guy who is already a musicians can show you the correct way to play your guitar and explain you a lot of useful thing. Be careful when you search for a teacher, a guy who don't know how to play guitar correctly could be a problem for you.
Thanks to everyone... We have two places I can go to... so I'm torn about who to pick. but I guess I can just try both... For now I'll DEFINATELY keep to learning myself, until I have bought christmas presents and stuff. I may save up for a new amp... I've tried a couple of my friends ones (all of my friends play an instrument, seriously) and a new amp is a must.

I dont know about a being a guitar god by the way... I'd just like to learn the stuff I like... ^__^

Thanks again!
Quote by Doomlaw

P.S

thanks ^^

Don't pay unless you're rolling in dough... hook up with a friend who can play better and likes the same kind of music you do... if you don't have a guitar friend close by maybe make one... go on youtube (hint) and check out the lessons... tabs are great to learn for all the songs you will want to learn... and try to improvise using backing tracks that you can download (do not underestimate the importance of this).

Don't sweat it Doomlaw, 3 months at 30 minutes a day will get you the main riffs to Iron Man, Smoke on the water, and Cheech and Chongs: na na na... na na na... na.. na.. na! So as long as your making progress it will come to you.
~JP~
fact is a teacher will show you where you are going wrong...youtube wont
Quote by '93
fact is a teacher will show you where you are going wrong...youtube wont

Really, because I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong on a song just the other day and I went and found a clip on youtube that explained it perfectly.

Idk, I think if your really good and trying to learn some fairly complicated techniques then a "good" teacher can show you how and might be money well spent, but I think it's kind of expensive and impractical for beginners learning the basics... I find friends are perfect teachers for that and there's plenty of other ways to become at least an intermediate player for free before shelling out the cash.

Of course, if you've got money to burn who cares...
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by Jammy Pige
Really, because I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong on a song just the other day and I went and found a clip on youtube that explained it perfectly.

Idk, I think if your really good and trying to learn some faily complicated techniques then a "good" teacher can show you how and might be money well spent, but I think it's kind of expensive and impractical for beginners learning the basics... I find friends are perfect teachers for that and there's plenty of other ways to become at least an intermediate player for free before shelling out the cash.

Of course, if you've got money to burn who cares...

I disgree unless your friends have a full understanding of music theory and the guitar. A teacher is a great way to go neegardless if you can learn on your own or not. Unless yo have a book or an in depth website that's free that shows you scales and all that jazz it's not something youcan just pick up on really. If you have a good teacher you'll not only learn faster but they can show you different ways to fret chords to make chord changes easier along with better techniques for shit. Lime I said before jamplay.com is a good way to go. It's all video stuff but it shows you what you need to do and easy ways to do it and there is so much shit on that site. Good refresher or just good to start from scratch with.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Teachers are expensive though guys. Seriously for some people they may really not be worth it. Also TS, 30mins-1hr a day isn't really enough to expect massive results. You also need to make sure you're practicing 'properly' as in metronome, exercises, focusing on specific areas you want to work on blah blah blah.

I think that while having a good teacher is obviously better, you can also learn to play guitar well teaching yourself. It may be slightly slower, require more focus and commitment in having the motivation to self teach but it can be done; and done well at that. Keep going with the self-teaching and save yourself the money, if then you feel like you're not going anywhere then consider getting a teacher; who may be able to tell you where you're going wrong.
It varies from person to person as to what suits them best. As a 15 year old kid though without a lot of money, self teaching seems like the logical option.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Duv
Teachers are expensive though guys. Seriously for some people they may really not be worth it. Also TS, 30mins-1hr a day isn't really enough to expect massive results. You also need to make sure you're practicing 'properly' as in metronome, exercises, focusing on specific areas you want to work on blah blah blah.

I just try to go over everything quickly really... i usually just play something like smells like teen spirit with as a warm up, and with the amp off so my family don't have to put up with it every day, then go-over everything else I know...

But recently I found an accoustic guitar book, so I'm trying out chords and stuff. I dont have a metronome... the book has a CD with it that does the beats for me anyways.. But for now I'm focusing on what the book says, which is just the basic chords. (A, C, D, E, G, Minor Variants of chords, and 7th types, If you'd like to know what I'm now practising)

The only thing i had before was a chord book, so i knew the chords, but not what kinda exercises to practice them with

what with school and stuff, I Don't actually practice as often as I'd like.

(random fact: Tom Morello used to practice for up to 8 hours a day)

^___^
Last edited by Doomlaw at Nov 27, 2009,
Sign up for a few sessions here and there, but always keep working on things yourself. A teacher will never hurt...even if it's the worst teacher possible, you'll know what not to do.
Quote by Crohny
check out some on line sites that teach guitar. jamplay.com is good. a lot of different teachers and can learn a bunch of genres. learning songs doesnt mean you are learning to play guitar. there is a lot more to it than that. pick up books on how to play even. there are a bunch of ways to go about it.
Thanks for the recommendation. Yea a lot of people's primary interest is learning songs. That's fine and dandy but its easy to get discouraged when you try to jump right into a song from your favorite band and don't have a solid foundation. We strive to provide everything you need to learn. You can hop right into songs or start slow with some basic lessons.
ive been playing steady for about 3-4 years or you could say ive been playing on/off for about 6 years and am self taught, my friend taught me the "smoke on the water" and "iron man" intro riffs and after that ive learned everything by myself its hard but you gotta keep goin and if you can afford a teacher then get one i am poor as balls and in between gettin my liscence soon and upgrading gear i have nothing to spare for lessons i will gt them someday but i can play pretty well as of now so yeah if you can self teach then do it up. but get used to feeling like everyones better then you cause thats how i always thought not always true but yeah!