My band only just started recording, and now that I'm actually listening to myself recorded, it just seems like my playing is so sloppy with leads. Lots of unwanted string noise and the like. I've been playing since about March 07, and have been self taught all the way, but am now thinking about getting a teacher. Can anybody offer me some general tips to help me get on the road to being a much cleaner player?
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
1. Turn down the gain, it hides your mistakes.
2. Practice until you can play parts cleanly and flawlessly, don't settle with playing something only good enough to slightly resemble the original.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Mute the strings you don't play, practice your pick attack in general.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Since March 07, isn't a really long time, I mean you play clean if you've played long enough

Nobody can teach you how to play cleanly, its a practice thing, just carry on trying
Quote by Zoso1994
1. Turn down the gain, it hides your mistakes.
2. Practice until you can play parts cleanly and flawlessly, don't settle with playing something only good enough to slightly resemble the original.

I've actually only had my amp's gain on 5. That's not too bad, right?
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
Quote by voodoochild23
Since March 07, isn't a really long time, I mean you play clean if you've played long enough

Nobody can teach you how to play cleanly, its a practice thing, just carry on trying

That at least comforts me that I'm not failing to be kept up to a certain standard, then!
Quote by LukeElliff

Quote by pantallica95
Quote by TonyIommi2557
I've actually only had my amp's gain on 5. That's not too bad, right?

how would we know..idk what amp you have.. plus its personal preference

recording yourself play and listening to it is a good way to critique yourself.
Yep all down to practice.
Recently I've started playing with no volume on at all.
that way I can really here what's being played.
Just try taking what you've already learned and strengthening that by playing it slow and clean to a metronome.
It won't be that long before you hear the difference for yourself.
Quote by TonyIommi2557
That at least comforts me that I'm not failing to be kept up to a certain standard, then!

People learn at different rates too.
I've played 3 years, a lot of people are better than me, and a lot of people suck
Playing clean won't help you that much.

IMO if you play with gain the mistakes and your sloppiness are heard much more.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Honestly, practise it slow for a while. It's better to play the same thing a thousand times at half the speed and get it done cleanly than to practise it 10 times at the full pace and have it sloppy. It's a perfectly natural error to make and it will go away with practise, just keep at it
I gotta say playing clean or acoustically really helped me be more articulate. When you have distortion those "mistakes" can actually sound pretty musical. Try practicing clean/acoustically and see how it works out for you.

With that being said what works for me may not work for you, but good luck
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Record your practice sessions and listen back

You can correct many errors by doing this
constant practice will do it. and just don't drown a good clean sound in tonnes of gain, it will sound even worse.
You do it one bit at a time dude:

First play a piece of music you think you are playing sloppily - and LISTEN to it as you play. Work out the bits you aren't quite playing properly and practise them again and again till it's clean and smooth.
Gradually the techniques you learn doing this will spread to the rest of your playing, and hopefully eventually you'll find it becomes natural
Quote by JesusCrisp
Playing clean won't help you that much.

IMO if you play with gain the mistakes and your sloppiness are heard much more.

Depends which mistakes.

Playing clean will bring out tonal and volume inconsistencies in your playing and you'll hear any dead notes etc more.

Playing with gain means you'll hear things like muting issues much more. For really good and well rounded technique you should practice both clean and distorted.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
By playing cleanly I assume you mean playing with more clarity/less mistakes > just playing through a clean channel.

If you want to play clean, play through a clean channel. If you want to play with more control and accuracy then practice practice practice! (with a metronome)

NB. when you're practicing it's ok to have a bit of gain on, but you don't want to swamp out your tone with drive so that you can't clearly demarcate notes and sounds etc. Tbh i would recommend either practicing clean or with a very moderate amount of gain.