okay so heres the deal...im looking to record mainly acoustics so i really only need 2 mic inputs so i can record stereo....i want firewire and not usb cause ive heard they are generally better....im looking to spend no more than 300 bucks and the presonus firebox is outta the picture cause i hear it has crappy preamps for dynamics....please help! thanks =]
Quote by gibson4589
...i want firewire and not usb cause ive heard they are generally better...

Don't believe MOST of what you hear in forums. So many people pass on what they've heard and eventually it becomes MISINFORMATION. There is NO DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY between firewire and USB - just "throughput". I have a firewire interface and a USB 1.1 interface and I use my USB interface 100% of the time. The differences to look for are in the converters, The PRE's, the bitrates, etc. For what you're doing a simple USB interface world work fine.

I recommend the Line 6 UX-2 or the EMU-0404 - they're both rated great and not as expensive as firewire normally. Firewire is best if you're doing MULTIPLE inputs at one time but for 1 or 2 USB works great.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINPSUX2

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=15185&nav=features
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by gibson4589
okay so heres the deal...im looking to record mainly acoustics so i really only need 2 mic inputs so i can record stereo....i want firewire and not usb cause ive heard they are generally better....im looking to spend no more than 300 bucks and the presonus firebox is outta the picture cause i hear it has crappy preamps for dynamics....please help! thanks =]

Strangedogs is on the money, theres no tonal difference between USB and Firewire, just Firewire is more stable due to the way it works when a large amount of inputs are running at once.

If you've only got a 2 channel interface then I wouldn't worry about the whole Firewire v USB thing.

presonus firebox is outta the picture cause i hear it has crappy preamps for dynamics

I believe someone said this about the audiobox recently, you mean "dynamic mics" btw, "dynamics" on its own can be misconstrued as something else entirely, I have my doubts that Presonus would put out an interface that doesnt have enough gain on it for half the microphones out there though. Wherever this statement initially came from sounds like total bullshit.

I'd go with one of Strangedogs recommendations, or perhaps something like an M-Audio Fast Track.