After talking this over on the GB&C ive decided to buy a cab and put new speakers in them....

...what i havent decided is which!

I have heard good things of having a V30 and G12T-75 together in a 212 Cab and liked the sound of having a cab with complimented speakers.

That said i also like emminence's The Governor and Man o War which was why i was wondering if 75w and 120w speakers worked together.

I have decided on getting a Marshall DSL50 or TSL60 if i get one cheap enough so i want a nice british sounding amp. Should i get a cab with v30s and simply put a G12t-75 in it or get a okish bilt but cheap cab like harley bentons/laneys with crummy speakers?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Why pay full price for a cab, when your just gonna pull the speakers out and replace them. Look on E-bay for a used cab with no speakers. If you don't find anything on E-bay, there are places that sell empty cabs.

Edit: Yes you can mix and match the speakers. The Wattage rating doesn't have to be the same. But make sure the sensitivity rating is close, or one speaker will be louder than the other.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by Matt420740
Why pay full price for a cab, when your just gonna pull the speakers out and replace them. Look on E-bay for a used cab with no speakers. If you don't find anything on E-bay, there are places that sell empty cabs.

Edit: Yes you can mix and match the speakers. The Wattage rating doesn't have to be the same. But make sure the sensitivity rating is close, or one speaker will be louder than the other.

Unloaded zilla cabs?

Will this mean ill have to get all the electrics for inside the cab as well?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies

Will this mean ill have to get all the electrics for inside the cab as well?

What do you mean "all the electrics"? There should be nothing in there but speaker wire, an input jack, and of course your speakers.

Here's a great deal on an empty 2x12 Avatar cab on E-bay - http://cgi.ebay.com/AVATAR-MARSHALL-CAB-CABINET-212-2X12-OPEN-BACK-EMPTY_W0QQitemZ260509738909QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca797279d

Get something like that, buy your speakers and your good to go.
Quote by Matt420740
What do you mean "all the electrics"? There should be nothing in there but speaker wire, an input jack, and of course your speakers.

Here's a great deal on an empty 2x12 Avatar cab on E-bay - http://cgi.ebay.com/AVATAR-MARSHALL-CAB-CABINET-212-2X12-OPEN-BACK-EMPTY_W0QQitemZ260509738909QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca797279d

Get something like that, buy your speakers and your good to go.

id love that cab but i dont think avatars are shipped to the UK .

By all the electrics i meant wire and jacks, yes. Do they come included with unloaded cabs? If not, where could i get them.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
id love that cab but i dont think avatars are shipped to the UK .

By all the electrics i meant wire and jacks, yes. Do they come included with unloaded cabs? If not, where could i get them.

Sorry I didn't realize you were in the UK until after I posted that link. You should be able to get speaker wire and a 1/4" input jack at any electronics store.
Quote by Matt420740
Sorry I didn't realize you were in the UK until after I posted that link. You should be able to get speaker wire and a 1/4" input jack at any electronics store.

thanks a lot man ill see if ill be able to get this soon.

Will the MOW and govenor be a decent cab speaker configuration?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies

Yes they would work well together. Both have the same sensitivity rating.
$150 is a very high starting price for an unloaded cab :/ Unloaded cabs seem to be almost never good value for me. You're best off going with a cab with damaged speakers or something being sold off locally.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
$150 is a very high starting price for an unloaded cab :/

Depends how good it is and anyway im not getting that im from the UK
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
$150 is a very high starting price for an unloaded cab

Have you looked at the price of 2x12 cabs lately? Sure you could buy some shit plywood cab for cheap, but a good quality cabinet is expensive. The Avatars sell for about $300 new with no speakers, and up to $600 with speakers.

TS if you have any friends or family into woodworking, or carpentry work, maybe you could get them to build you your own cab. Just a thought.
Last edited by Matt420740 at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by Matt420740
Have you looked at the price of 2x12 cabs lately? Sure you could buy some shit plywood cab for cheap, but a good quality cabinet is expensive. The Avatars sell for about $300 new with no speakers, and up to $600 with speakers.

TS if you have any friends or family into woodworking, or carpentry work, maybe you could get them to build you your own cab. Just a thought.

i'd love to but i dont really know anyone into it with a lot of wood and i dont trust myself in messing up the tolexing etc. ill just have to see what i can find
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by Matt420740

$600 is a shitload for a 2x12 cab. Even Oranges don't cost that much and they're fairly pricey. $600 would grab you an a pretty good loaded 4x12. I've seen used 2x12 AC30s go for around that, when you look at where your money is going it's hard to justify that much.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
$600 is a shitload for a 2x12 cab. Even Oranges don't cost that much and they're fairly pricey.

An Orange 2x12 cost around $600, so I don't know what your talking about.
Quote by Matt420740
An Orange 2x12 cost around $600, so I don't know what your talking about.

The more expensive one is a bit under $600, and they have another one that's a good bit cheaper than that.

Still, Orange cabs are generally pricey. If you don't have loads of money it's not a horrible idea to go a bit cheaper on the cab. While it's an important part of the signal chain, there's only so much wood is going to effect your signal and you can get "professional quality" speakers for around $40(Weber, Eminence).
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
The more expensive one is a bit under $600, and they have another one that's a good bit cheaper than that.

Still, Orange cabs are generally pricey. If you don't have loads of money it's not a horrible idea to go a bit cheaper on the cab. While it's an important part of the signal chain, there's only so much wood is going to effect your signal and you can get "professional quality" speakers for around $40(Weber, Eminence).

wood does make a difference because of the size and build quality, the sound will change. if its closed back and is over sized it will seemingly have more bass. But i agree with the speakers being amazing but cheap.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
The cure to all your problems.

Harley Benton G212 Vintage
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

Cheap, set with V30's. I would just try having the 2 V30's and see how you like the sound. Then if you don't like it, you can swap one V30 out, sell it, and use that cash to buy yourself a replacement speaker.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by riflesndaisies

you have to know that the governor is very very gritty. it sounds almost like The Wizard if you need a reference.

I'm pairing mine with a Cannabis Rex and.... it doesn't pair up well. Right now, even though it's a 2x12 cab, i'm using the speakers individually.

The governor covers most of my leads (it works damn good for leads) while the Rex covers my clean and medium gain rythmn playing.

just sharing my experience with The Governor there. hope it's useful to you.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
The cure to all your problems.

Harley Benton G212 Vintage
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

Cheap, set with V30's. I would just try having the 2 V30's and see how you like the sound. Then if you don't like it, you can swap one V30 out, sell it, and use that cash to buy yourself a replacement speaker.

I'd already seen that but i was wary of ordering on thomann, ive heard dodgy things.
How would i change the cab speakers is it front loaded or rear loaded?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by sharp__edge
you have to know that the governor is very very gritty. it sounds almost like The Wizard if you need a reference.

I'm pairing mine with a Cannabis Rex and.... it doesn't pair up well. Right now, even though it's a 2x12 cab, i'm using the speakers individually.

The governor covers most of my leads (it works damn good for leads) while the Rex covers my clean and medium gain rythmn playing.

just sharing my experience with The Governor there. hope it's useful to you.

Isnt that because the canabis rex is a USA blue speaker and the Governor's a UK sounding red one?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Still havent decided on a cab to use....

Ive discovered that on thomann the Valveking 4x12 is the most popular, is this because people buy it and customize it?

Should i get the 4x12 and put a few different speakers in it?

or

Get the marshall MR1936 2x12?

The speakers going in the valveking would be 2 G12-75s and 2 V30s (x patteren)
or 2 Man-o-war and 2 Governors.

Help pls.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
I'm not reading this whole thread as I'm wanting to get to bed, but I will say: Give the Eminence Wizard a listen. There are one or two good comparisons with the V30 on YouTube which make the Wizard out to be a very good sounding speaker. I actually wanna get my hands on an empty 2x12 to load up and take out with me.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
I'm not reading this whole thread as I'm wanting to get to bed, but I will say: Give the Eminence Wizard a listen. There are one or two good comparisons with the V30 on YouTube which make the Wizard out to be a very good sounding speaker. I actually wanna get my hands on an empty 2x12 to load up and take out with me.

sounds great man,

Should i put these with a Man-o-war or a governor. or should i get 4/2 of these in a cab?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
I'd STRONGLY suggest against combining 2 different speakers in a single cab... There are too many parameters to guess how they'll sound together. Just because it sounds good in someone elses cab doesn't mean it'll sound good in yours (unless your cab is the exact same construction, size, baffle thickness and being driven by the same amp maybe) I've tried way too many speaker combinations that have ended up "fighting" in the mid range and you're left with this thin warbling mess that I can't find a single use for..

And I'd personally avoid the 75s because they don't sound good to me. G12H-30s are the most versatile celestion in my experience. (that's equivelent to the emi wizard fwiw)
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by riflesndaisies
sounds great man,

Should i put these with a Man-o-war or a governor. or should i get 4/2 of these in a cab?
I'd just load up a cab full of em.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
will it matter if i put in speakers that are suited for playing with british voiced amps (or so the companies say) but using an american voiced amp instead?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
will it matter if i put in speakers that are suited for playing with british voiced amps (or so the companies say) but using an american voiced amp instead?

It wll make a difference; but will it be a positive or negative thing? That's debatable..

Some people like yank speakers in a poms amp (eg EV in a JCM800) and conversely some like pom speakers in a yanks amp (eg a blue in a tweed champ.) That being said some things probably wouldn't work; I don't think Jensen P12s would sound good with a jcm900 ploughing through them and I don't think a fane would sound too good with a blackface... But of course I've never tried those hypothetical combinations.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by power freak
It wll make a difference; but will it be a positive or negative thing? That's debatable..

Some people like yank speakers in a poms amp (eg EV in a JCM800) and conversely some like pom speakers in a yanks amp (eg a blue in a tweed champ.) That being said some things probably wouldn't work; I don't think Jensen P12s would sound good with a jcm900 ploughing through them and I don't think a fane would sound too good with a blackface... But of course I've never tried those hypothetical combinations.

But will eminences or celestions sound good with a Valveking or a Bugera?

Which also brings me to another question.

Should i get a Marshall JCM2000, a NEW bugera 333xl(the 1s that are soldered now) or a Peavey Valveking100 Head????
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies

Should i get a Marshall JCM2000, a NEW bugera 333xl(the 1s that are soldered now) or a Peavey Valveking100 Head????

^ or maybe a blackheart hothead if its hot enough.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by riflesndaisies
I have heard good things of having a V30 and G12T-75 together in a 212 Cab and liked the sound of having a cab with complimented speakers.

Super good combo. That is by far the best I've ever heard. G12K-100 is very good too for metal in a relatively large 412 cab.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by riflesndaisies

EDIT: or a blackheart BH100H hot head?

^^^
I think i may well by a v30s cab and swap out 1 v30
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50