Page 1 of 2
I mean, I play bass and I LOVE the rumbly feelng of a great bassline. My main influences were always Jeff Ament, John Entwistle, Macca, and yes, Gene Simmons, which is probably where I got my love of walking basslines. I don't care for the flashy slapping and poppy over odd time signatures.

However.........

Sometimes, I can't help but feel that bassists are seen as failed guitarists. I mean, not even girls like us!!

Is it just me, or does it seem like bass is alot more fun than guitar in a band context, whereas guitar is alot more fun to play alone??

Anyway, I'm just all up in arms over this lol.
I play both, but i would never consider myself a guitar player. I'm a bass player first. The instrument is only as awesome as you make it. And it seems that i attract more girls than other members of my band.
However yes i would agree with you that bass is alot more fun in a band while guitar is more fun alone.
Quote by twdavis13

Is it just me, or does it seem like bass is alot more fun than guitar in a band context, whereas guitar is alot more fun to play alone??

I'd agree with this. With bass it feels much better for me to have some music to work with and around. Where as on guitar I just wanna do 7 hour long solos.

Essentially a lot of people do think bassists are people who can't play guitar, but these are usually the same morons who think percussion instruments aren't real instruments. So they're opinions aren't massively valid in regards to the subject.
Quote by nesveikuolis
There is a big 'ol thread about this. No need for a new one.

I had no idea.

Sorry.
i play both, and only play bass on my own, not in a band context, but hell, i class myself as a bassist, because thats how i think, in terms of writing.

i started out on bass maybe 6 or 7 years ago, and quit to focus on guitar more, but now im getting back into bass, with the lack of bassists to jam with, and i enjoy so much more than guitar.

in terms of money, bass has cost me a lot more than guitar though, as the instrument itself is often more expensive, if thats what you meant.

people who look down on any musician should take a step back, and view the band/ensemble as a bigger picture, take away anything and it just wont work, rather than looking at a personal level. every instrument has its job, and when all the little parts come together, it sounds killer.
Quote by twdavis13
I had no idea.

Sorry.

Happens to everyone every once in a while And I understand ya.
People should sticky that thread
I love guitar, I like bass as well, but I used ot think bass players just follow the rhythm guitarist, but that isn't the case. A good bass player is more rare than a good guitar player. Guitarists are a dime a dozen, but if your a bassist you shouldn't have a problem finding a band.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I would say yes.

It is a rubbish instrument.

D:

Disclaimer: I do not believe the above post. I just wanted to get in on this before a mod closes it
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Don't let your retarded metalhead friends let you think that your instrument is somehow inferior.

...Unless you play in a metal band. Then it kind of is in most cases, especially teenage bands.
Bass plays root notes, guitarist does awful solo etc.
Quote by twdavis13
not even girls like us!!

Speak for yourself. Maybe you're just ugly.
Ya, i must i admit bass sucks a bit, quite alot actually, but i play double bass and that just pulls the women in.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
bass is more expensive then guitar in almost everyway

strings cost alot more

amps cost alot more

and the ladies will show up once they see how fast you can move your right hand
Quote by lucas1wj
bass is more expensive then guitar in almost everyway

strings cost alot more

amps cost alot more

and the ladies will show up once they see how fast you can move your right hand

mmmhmmmm

$75+ Australian a pop.

As opposed to $15 at most for guitar strings.
I am me. Live with it.
If people are thinking you're a failed guitarist you're playing wrong (not your bass lines mind you but your actual posture, movement, etc. have fun with it ).

and bass and guitar should be equally fun in a band or solo context. If guitar isn't as fun in a band context it means you need to practice your jamming abilities, being able to keep a rhythm with the drums and bass. If you think bass isnt as fun in a solo envorinment then try playing more melodic/soloish lines when you're by yourself. Try noodling and playing fast since your responsiblities for groove keeping are temoporarily lifted.
no sig for joo
Bassists control whether or not there are inversions. Also, they can partially hold the role of a drummer, for the groove. Not even going into leading into the next chord to make a song flow more, I'd say that a bassist is not only important, but it has a different role than the guitarist, making it something different to learn, which is around the same difficulty to attain.

Failed guitarists are not necessarily guitarists that couldn't do it, they're people without the tenacity to get good. My (HS) choir teacher had a singer come up to him at the end of his sophomore year that told him that he wanted to play bass. The next day, he said that he's made a mistake, that he wanted to sing bass. Then, being refuted, he went and learned how to play bass. In two years, he got so good, he got a full ride at Indiana State, (or IU, I'm not sure) and now travels the country to play for people that are able to afford him. Tenacity. It takes work to get good at anything. Malcolm Gladwell said that it takes approximately 10,000 hours to master any particular skill set. Usually 10 years, but some do it faster.
want to impress people with bass and not have to learn anything past octaves? learn how to slap and pop
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
bassists are the supportive members of the band who hold everything together, they provide the excitement but no-one notices, I'm sorry but your the one they want to marry not a one night stand.
i wouldnt say bassists are failed guitarists at all. I mainly play bass, but guitar seems easier to me to play.... But I'd rather have a nice fat bassline anyday..
I know alot of so-called bassists who I know for a fact would rather be playing mad shred solos but don't have the talent or patients to learn how.
These are the guys that give the rest of us a bad name.

They can be your inspiration as a beginner. Get better than those guys as quick as possible.
Usually all it takes it learning a C major scale.
Yes we hate bass, it's really easy and boring and pointless, that's why we have our own forum and go away and play for hours a day.

Seriously though, not every instrument is for everyone it is what you make it.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Guitar is like the running back whereas the singer is like the quarterback - getting all the attention...

All worthless without the defensive line.

There is nothing more fun in music than playing bass with a truly brilliant drummer. Only twice have I had this privilege. I am a guitar player originally, but only on bass have I had this almost spiritual bond with the drummer, like what we are doing matters somehow. I honestly have to say it is a bit like sex... Each partner is aware of the other in a very intimate way.

Bass is much more fundamental to music itself, where guitar is more ornamental. A great band can have a tremendous bass and drum groove with a mediocre guitar player much more readily than it can survive a pitiful bass player and a virtuosic guitarist. Who wants to listen to that?!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Guitar is like the running back whereas the singer is like the quarterback - getting all the attention...

All worthless without the defensive line.

Great analogy.
rhythm guitarists are the failed guitarists, not the bassists
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
Quote by BamaBlues
rhythm guitarists are the failed guitarists, not the bassists

guitarists are failed bassists, what are you talking about?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
guitarists are failed bassists, what are you talking about?

Drummers are at the bottom of the chain of course.
Quote by Bass First
Drummers are at the bottom of the chain of course.

good place to be. if any of the others are hot girls in skirts...

mmmmmm...

I like skirts.

I sound 12
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Considering everything involving bass is roughly 50% more expensive than guitar I'd say it's a rich man's guitar if anything.

I'm not going to close this thread yet but I will keep an eye on it. If any sort of flaming starts warnings will get handed out and the thread will get closed.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Casketcreep
I know alot of so-called bassists who I know for a fact would rather be playing mad shred solos but don't have the talent or patients to learn how.
These are the guys that give the rest of us a bad name.

They can be your inspiration as a beginner. Get better than those guys as quick as possible.
Usually all it takes it learning a C major scale.

shuffles away i have that tendency a bit when i started.Thats why i like the odd bass solo (my generation and longview to an extent):P its a bit of a hey look at me moment.:P

But bass can be shredded just as cool as i have learned since i started
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
bass and guitar are equal i think! you definetley need a bassist in a band to keep rythm and crap but i think you need a guitarist for melody and shit!! i have no idea about the bass cause i play guitar but i think to be a bassist you have to be rythmically groovy
Quote by twdavis13
I mean, I play bass and I LOVE the rumbly feelng of a great bassline. My main influences were always Jeff Ament, John Entwistle, Macca, and yes, Gene Simmons, which is probably where I got my love of walking basslines. I don't care for the flashy slapping and poppy over odd time signatures.

However.........

Sometimes, I can't help but feel that bassists are seen as failed guitarists. I mean, not even girls like us!!

Anyway, I'm just all up in arms over this lol.

A girl who like music is also able to love bass guitar, so don't mind.
order of popularity
1 Lead Guitarist
2 Vocalist
3 Bass Guitarist
4 Rhythm Guitarist
5 Drums
+ to the original post. Bass isnt a cheap mans guitar because,
-It generally costs more to play a bass or buy a bass
and
-Bass can be more complicated than guitar depending on the riff
Quote by Razgriz_101
shuffles away i have that tendency a bit when i started.Thats why i like the odd bass solo (my generation and longview to an extent):P its a bit of a hey look at me moment.:P

But bass can be shredded just as cool as i have learned since i started

Yeah, there are some kick-ass bass soloists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVl39LBZGMw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1bG2uzQLbY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veLGBk1mE5U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_4tNot8-xk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIzN51SLwwg

That probably isn't the best list ever, but I did what I could with only using youtube and being far too tired to search through hundreds of videos.
Ah, you should really say **** it, theirs no point in whining is their. Best to get on with it and become a better musician, no matter what you have to put up with.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Casketcreep
Over 60 pounds sterling for a set of 6 fretless flatwounds.
Needless to say, they won't ever be changed.

What about 250 punds for a set of double bass strings.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I'm a guitarist through and through and I still say Bass is an underappreciated instrument. When I listen to great music, I dissect every little peice of it and appreciate it. I can hear the basslines and love how they can give everything body, I hear the drums and feel how it lays down the beat, the lead guitar adding the spice, and the vocals just blending into everything. Bassists, while I can't say much for the actual playing in comparison with guitar, are anything but the poor man's guitarist ignoring the literal interpretation. It's just that most bands nowadays have a bassist that only plays the same notes over and over again, and even though the guitarist sucks just as badly, you can hear trhe guitar better thus more love to the guitarist.

Now great bassists like Gene Simmons or Roger Waters, that's where the skill is at. (Pink Floyd forever )
Page 1 of 2