So, I've been practicing/playing guitar for just over a year now. My starter equipment is pretty crap (Epiphone Les Paul Special II and Line 6 Spider III 15w).

I'm looking to get either a new guitar or a new amp. On the guitar side I was looking in the $750-1200 range Stratocaster and a Fender Blues Deluxe for an amp. I can only get one of these right now, and I'll have to get the other in about 4 months.

I have a Zoom G7.1ut pedal that I use to record and practice, so getting an amp isn't a huge priority. I also don't gig right now. The general consensus from what I've seen on here is that you get a better amp before getting a better guitar, but my amp won't get as much use as my guitar. As well, I've also been getting into blues guitar lately, and a Strat would be a welcome addition with its single coil pickups.

So what do you think, UG? Should I go for the guitar or amp first?
Thanks in advance.
i know that getting a new guitar seems more appealing
but a new amp would make a huge improvement to you tone
especially as you'd only have to wait 4 months for the other

the blues deluxe would give you more the tone you want than change from humbuckers to single coil

i say amp first
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
I'd definitely go for an amp, you won't notice much of a sound change between a new guitar and your old one, but you will notice huge difference with a new amp.
Although, as you say an amp isn't important and you're not gigging, it might be nicer if you got yourself a new guitar.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I'd have to agree. If you have to jump on it now, get a quality amp. Then save up and wait for a quality guitar on CL or eBay. I've never been a fan of the Special II's, but I have seen them played live, and played well. I have yet to see a Line 6 Spider III 15 on a stage. If your looking for some great gear to gig with in the future, a Fender Deville / Blues Jr. / Peavey Classic 30 / Vox Nightrain would do you great!
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Duelist
So, I've been practicing/playing guitar for just over a year now. My starter equipment is pretty crap (Epiphone Les Paul Special II and Line 6 Spider III 15w).

That's not that bad for only been playing a year! I've been playing two years and all I have is a Yamaha and A 15 watt peavey!
Quote by superfish1232
i know that getting a new guitar seems more appealing
but a new amp would make a huge improvement to you tone
especially as you'd only have to wait 4 months for the other

This!
I always look at guitars & can't help but want them, but I know I need to get a new amp first! My equipment is okay for me at the minute now, so I'm consentrating more on my bass stuff
amp!

enlarged for emphasis.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Definitely go for the amp man.

God forbid you be stuck with that monstrosity any longer than necessary.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
MIM Strat ($500 new, $300 used)

Peavey Classic 30 ($500 new)
OR
Fender Blues Jr. ($500 new)
This weekend...

MIA standard strat or tele, $899.
Blues Jr, $399.
or
Classic 30, $369.

all new.
Thanks for the advice. I guess it's unanimous that a new amp is the way to go.

So, I noticed a couple of people are recommending the Blues Jr.
Is it because it's cheaper?

How much better is the Blues Deluxe compared to Blues Jr.?

Also, I heard MIM strats are fairly hit or miss while American strats are of a higher quality. Is there any truth to that?

Edit: I live in Canada so no Black Friday deals for me. (At least I don't think so....)
Quote by Duelist
Thanks for the advice. I guess it's unanimous that a new amp is the way to go.

So, I noticed a couple of people are recommending the Blues Jr.
Is it because it's cheaper?

How much better is the Blues Deluxe compared to Blues Jr.?

Also, I heard MIM strats are fairly hit or miss while American strats are of a higher quality. Is there any truth to that?

Edit: I live in Canada so no Black Friday deals for me. (At least I don't think so....)

The blues deluxe is higher wattage, voiced similarly to the bjr. So better is opinion as usual. But you will get a bit more clean headroom with the deluxe.

It's true that MIMs can be hit or miss. But to some degree so are the USA guitars, just not as much imo.

Sending you a PM. You get the deals in Canada...
Quote by gregs1020
This weekend...

MIA standard strat or tele, $899.
Blues Jr, $399.
or
Classic 30, $369.

all new.

My God, You Americans have the best prices ever. A Peavey Classic 30 new here is about £500, about $850...
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
My God, You Americans have the best prices ever. A Peavey Classic 30 new here is about £500, about $850...

Yea it's on closeout now. My guess is it's being replaced by a new model. Plus I cut something off the price, which I am kinda known for.
hey greg,anything good @ GC for tomorrow?
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
hey greg,anything good @ GC for tomorrow?

15% off one item.

Quote by gregs1020
Black Friday at SamAsh, couple big deals right off the bat. Please keep in mind, we can ship directly to your home in the US or Canada. And all sales carry a 30 day return policy.

All USA PRS 10 top, Custom 24, Custom 22, McCarty or single cuts.
$500 off!
I have an amber and emerald Custom 22s in.
I have a soapbar McCarty with a 10 top, tobacco burst, all rosewood neck.
Prices are lower than we are allowed to advertise. So call me for a quote if you wish.
I also have a Custom 24 Experience 07 Guitar in Calypso Green. Marked at $2579, do the math.

Fender American Standard Strats and Teles, $999 plus 10% off that from Fender on a rebate. Yes, $899 for a USA standard strat or tele.

PRS SE Custom 24s, $399.99. Blue, Red or Grey flame tops. So is the Paul Allender sig, with the bat inlays.

Zoom H2s are $99.99

LTD MH-1001 with 81/85 emg pups, gloss black. $599.99 less $50. (So $549.99)

SG Robots, with bound ebony fretboard, green or silverburst. $1199.99.
SG Cherry Robot, rosewood fretboard, $999.99.

Aslo Laravee, David Eden and Washburn gear at big discounts. Post replies here, PM me or call me at the store.
Greg at 847-253-3151, ext #2, ask for Greg please. I'm the only UGer here, lol. Will be open from 8 am CST to 10pm Friday, tomorrow. I have to get up early.

I throw in a free cable or a bunch of pics for all UGers.

took that from the gear ads section...

I'm there all day.
Quote by gregs1020
Yea it's on closeout now. My guess is it's being replaced by a new model. Plus I cut something off the price, which I am kinda known for.

I wish the postage to the UK wouldn't cost so much
There need to be more guitar store workers like you!

Also TS, after reading your first post. How often do you really plug into an amp? From the sounds of it not very often, do you play with other people often or anything like that?

Because if not I'm going to say get the guitar. It seems daft to me that if you aren't going to be playing the amp often to spend a load on an amp right now. Definitely get the amp at some point but if you aren't going to be using it much then there's no point getting it now
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
I wish the postage to the UK wouldn't cost so much
There need to be more guitar store workers like you!

Also TS, after reading your first post. How often do you really plug into an amp? From the sounds of it not very often, do you play with other people often or anything like that?

Because if not I'm going to say get the guitar. It seems daft to me that if you aren't going to be playing the amp often to spend a load on an amp right now. Definitely get the amp at some point but if you aren't going to be using it much then there's no point getting it now

Yeah, the thing is I only use my amp when no one's home during the day time. Most of the time I practice in the evenings.

Although I think I might go with the Blues Deluxe since I really like the Clapton-style tone, so I guess getting a good tube amp would do more good than switching to a single coil pickup guitar.