http://www.myspace.com/cauterizemetal
Hey guys, recently I wrote a new song for my band the (first one up on the myspace) by just recording the 3 guitar parts and adding drums on the computer. This is a really, really, rough draft and I'm not really worried about the production at this point just the actual song elements. If you could leave me some comments about the riffs/arrangement/solo I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Not a big fan of the drum beat for what I assume is the verse (0:25-0:49). You have a straight 4/4 feel on the drums against an obvious 12/8 in the guitars and you lose the power of the riff that way. The riffs are pretty cool but fairly ordinary for this type of metal. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

The composed lead was pretty cool but I think these kinds of riffs call out for more of a reckless abandon style of lead guitar, just blast out some speed runs. The overly controlled element doesn't really sound right there.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
to much bass drum but i definatly love the solo
Höhner llx100g
Gibson explorer
crappy stagg acoustic
Roland dac80d
marshall jcm 900 sl-x 2500
marshall 1960A
ehx metal-muff
jimmy hendrix wah
Quote by ebon00
Not a big fan of the drum beat for what I assume is the verse (0:25-0:49). You have a straight 4/4 feel on the drums against an obvious 12/8 in the guitars and you lose the power of the riff that way. The riffs are pretty cool but fairly ordinary for this type of metal. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

The composed lead was pretty cool but I think these kinds of riffs call out for more of a reckless abandon style of lead guitar, just blast out some speed runs. The overly controlled element doesn't really sound right there.

thanks for the comments, I'm not really a drummer so I think the drums will be completely revamped sooner or later by my actual drummer. Care to elaborate on the bolded part?
I liked the harmonized riffs, they worked really well. It sounded like a mix between old school metal and modern stuff. Solo was really cool too, but I would've loved to hear another part to it with a more improvised feel. With some good vocals this would make a kick ass song.

If you don't mind, I'd appreciate a few words on my song too: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1236297
Last edited by Jangster at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by KeytotheGate
thanks for the comments, I'm not really a drummer so I think the drums will be completely revamped sooner or later by my actual drummer. Care to elaborate on the bolded part?

Well, doesn't really matter if you're a drummer or not, just match the beat of the drums to the rhythm of the guitars. If your riffs have a triplet feel then your drums should have a triplet feel as well or just go for straight quarters, the straight eights against a triplet feel is very odd.

The riffs have a fast feel to them so i think the solo should have a least a couple of fast phrases. When I hear the rest of the song I expect a ripping lead to show up.
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
I think this is pretty cool, takes me back years, listening to this kinda stuff, haha. Every riff has something to commend it, which is always good. I especially like the harmonised section just before the solo, there's a lot of feel to that. The solo itself is well composed, although I felt like the harmonisation was a little too much at times. It's something better used as a once or twice-off 'effect.' When you use it the whole way through it loses its impact, and after all, it's not like it can be done live!

Still, this a cool song, and I've enjoyed it - I listened through a few times, so good work!

If you don't mind checking mine out, I'd love to get some crit on it! At the Mercy of the Cruel Sun
My Bands

Latest Original Recording
Sounds like DKFH. Split the kick and snare+toms away from the rest of the mix and EQ/compress them separately. Also tone back the ambient mic volumes and cut the kick/snare out of them. DKFH defaults are very icky. They make the track sound like a very lazy apprentice just threw a few mics on the kit. The rest sounds fine, just needs to brighten up a touch.

I like the overall feel of being melodic without being fruity. The harmony on the lead is nice.
Recommended threads
phonezoo
eat_pancakes
Last post:
by >>Max<<
dunlop crybaby
guitarman3000GM
Last post:
by IncubusMan999