Hello all. Lately I've begun taking my bass-playing more seriously (even though it's only been four months), and I feel a need for improvement on bass.

I play an Epiphone EB-0 (yeah, yeah, criticize SG basses all you want, but with a pick it sounds excellent), which is notorious for its less-than-reliable strap. Recently, my strap has been falling off constantly, and I am in need of a straplock.

My folks are asking me to make a Christmas list since it 'tis the season to be jolly, so I figured I'd include a straplock on my list. I would just like to know what is the best straplock for basses, or, more specifically, the one I use? I just want to improve Mercedes (yes, I gave my bass a name, and yes, it's Mercedes) as much as I can, and a major step is getting 'er strap to stay on.
Local music store? Might help. I think they're about 20 USD. But that depends on the music store.
Quote by goodlifebadlife
I use these sort http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/72861

Ive probably had them 4/5 years and they have never let me down.

Thank you!

Also, are all strap locks compatible between both guitars and basses? My mom likes to shop on Amazon when buying Christmas gifts, and all the Schaller locks say "guitar strap lock".
Last edited by GreatJallopi at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by GreatJallopi
Thank you!

Also, are all strap locks compatible between both guitars and basses? My mom likes to shop on Amazon when buying Christmas gifts, and all the Schaller locks say "guitar strap lock".

Yeap should be compatible for both. Ive swaped strap locks between my guitar and bass plenty of times. The only problem Ive had was with the screws being to small, but I think this was more due to my bass have unsualy large screws. But thats an unlikely and easy problem to fix.
Quote by goodlifebadlife
Yeap should be compatible for both. Ive swaped strap locks between my guitar and bass plenty of times. The only problem Ive had was with the screws being to small, but I think this was more due to my bass have unsualy large screws. But thats an unlikely and easy problem to fix.

I had that problem too, although it didn't show till the soundcheck before a gig, thank god for backup basses.
Just out of curiosity, how would you fix it if the screws were too small?

I don't know if the EB-0's screws are unusually larger or not, because it's quite frankly the only instrument I own. Granted, I could always check in with one of the guitarists in my band, but I'd prefer to know what to do in the case of this scenario rather than wait 'til our next practice to see if the screws are too big.
Quote by GreatJallopi
Just out of curiosity, how would you fix it if the screws were too small?

I don't know if the EB-0's screws are unusually larger or not, because it's quite frankly the only instrument I own. Granted, I could always check in with one of the guitarists in my band, but I'd prefer to know what to do in the case of this scenario rather than wait 'til our next practice to see if the screws are too big.

If the hole is too big, either glue cocktail sticks in until the hole is small enough to accept the screw snugly, or drill the hole large enough to insert a piece of dowel, glue that in, then redrill for the smaller screw.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Hmm, higgins seems to have the cleaner method.

I'd still be able to use the locks with the old screws, right?
I'm definitely feelin' it for Schaller, and unless some massively huge argument for another manufacturer comes in, Schaller it schall be.
http://guitarguitar.co.uk/guitar_care_detail.asp?stock=05032612515818
i use these especially good if you arent really wanting to mod your guitar.They are durable aswell had mines on for a while and they never let me down and i have a epi t-bird and it suffers a similar problem with the strap coming off when playing till i got these :P

The best option if your not wanting to mod your guitar that is.If you dont mind modifying go with the others but its really up to you.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
I use Boston straplocks, they're pretty good too. Cost around 20 bucks.
Gear :
Ibanez GWB35 Gary Willis signature
Ibanez SR700 CN
Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV

Marshall MB4410