Okay, so I used to be in my school's marching band (back in grade 7). I played the clarinet. I quit that year to play football.... due largely to influence from a certain male authority figure in my life (thanks a lot, Pops). Anyways, I'm a junior this year (grade 11) and I quit football much to my father's sorrow. I've been focusing on academics a lot more, and I'm much happier than I have been in a long time.

Now that you know the background, here's the situation: Most of my good friends are in band, I enjoy music very much, and I kinda want to rejoin band. If I could get caught up, the band director would let me rejoin. Another friend of mine is going to be playing the tuba next year, starting senior year. I have retained everything I learned up until the point I quit, but I haven't learned anything since then. So I'm a 16-year old who plays the clarinet like a 12-year old. I'd be willing to practice a ton to get caught up. I'm quite certain my parents wouldn't approve, but frankly I don't give a flying fu ck anymore what they think.

So what are your thoughts on this, Pit?
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
HAHAH MARCHING BA-... ehem... go for it

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
if you dont like football thats one thing, go for the band thing, why couldnt you just do both? football ends early in the school year
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
You'll save so much money on condoms in the future.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by silent caution
if you dont like football thats one thing, go for the band thing, why couldnt you just do both? football ends early in the school year

The band plays at the football games. They did at my middle school too.

Quote by el-ECTRO
You'll save so much money on condoms in the future.

Actually, the band kids get lat quite a bit more than the athletes at my school. I know that sounds ludicrous, but it's true. Lol.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at Nov 26, 2009,
I would definitely keep the academics thing going, you know, good grades and all.
But also, get your rear in gear and practice, and playing in the marching band with all your friends.
You'll be happy you did it some day when you look back and smile on all the good times you had, trust me.
Marching band, for me at least, in both high school and college was one of the most aggravating things in my life and one of the most rewarding. It's so hard to remain happy and patient through all the practices, memorization, drills, etc., but when you're on the field putting on a good show, there's nothing like it. I would say definitely do it, it's worth it for the experience at least once. I loved doing it in college too, but I couldn't dedicate the time to it anymore... I watched them at our most recent football game and got the chills just remembering what it felt like to perform like that.
Do it man. Unlike Gibsonpenguin, Marching Band was (and still is) the highlight of my highschool career. My father tried to do the same bull shit to me about doing football, but I just decided to follow my musical aspirations as opposed to my athletic ones. Definitely rejoin band.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Quote by Rojam
Do it man. Unlike Gibsonpenguin, Marching Band was (and still is) the highlight of my highschool career. My father tried to do the same bull shit to me about doing football, but I just decided to follow my musical aspirations as opposed to my athletic ones. Definitely rejoin band.

What I meant was that, in retrospect it was awesome, but you have to admit, it's pretty hard to keep a good mood through a rough practice. The performances definitely make it all worthwhile though. I did marching band all 4 years of high school, and I definitely wouldn't change it.