Hello can someone please explain this for me

I have a Jackson JS30 Warrior and have replaced the bridge pickup with an emg 81 leaving the original switch and pots in place.
I'm going to get an emg 85 which i'll put in the bridge and move the 81 to the neck
Will i have to or is it wise to use pots supplied with emg's? and should i get new switch?
You guys always answer so thanks in advance.
You'll need the pots that come with the EMGs.

The old switch will be good to go.
Signatures are overrated.
The 81 goes at the bridge the 85 at the neck. I think that emg's pots are a higher value then the normal. install emg pots for optimum effect.
thin slice o skin
you have to use the pots supplied as the act as a pre amp, and remember once you plug you guitar in it turns the pre amp on and it will drain you battery, as for a switch i'm not sure, but if it is a cheap one replacing it would be a good idea
EMG's require a 25k pot as far as I know. Your guitar probably has 500K pots in it now. You should change them.
Quote by britishsligean
you have to use the pots supplied as the act as a pre amp, and remember once you plug you guitar in it turns the pre amp on and it will drain you battery, as for a switch i'm not sure, but if it is a cheap one replacing it would be a good idea

the preamp is built into the pickup casing, not the pots.

you don't need EMG's brand of 25k pots, but you'll definately want 25k's in there.

and like people have said, the switch'll be fine

edit: and one battery'll work, but alot of people really like the sound you get when you use 2 batteries in series, to give you 18 volts. search for the '18v mod thread' for more info on that if you like
Last edited by james4 at Nov 26, 2009,
sorry guys one more thing
The 2 pots i got with the emg 81 are joined together with a piece of wire do i need to cut this to seperate them as it wont reach if i put them in?
^I'm guessing they gave you them wired up for one volume, and one tone pot?

you can cut the wire no problem, but you'll have to re-solder a new one in place if you want the tone knob to be functional
yeah i think so. i'll have another look but think it was a short, thick wire with no plastic jacket.
I was told to leave the passive working i should replace pots when i get my second active. but i never ever use passive so would i benefit just swaping it over for now? as volume knob isnt very sensitive at all.
if you're not using the passive really, you might as well install the new electronics, cause theyll work best with your EMG. then you've got most of the work done for when you get the 85
i had a short question myself, so instead of making a new thread ill just leave it here:
emg hz h4 Pups are passive, but i was wondering if that means theyve also got the wiring like normal passives or if it would be easy to replace them with actives.

im sorry i dont know much about Pups so this question could be very naive
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
^they're passive, so they get wired the same as a passive pickup. 500k pots and no battery
it's completely possible to switch to actives, but it would be the same as changing from any brand of passives to actives.

it wouldnt be like going from active to active just because they're EMGs, if thats what you were thinking
aaaah k thx

yeah thats what i kind of thought cause i saw a photo of one flipped over and it looked like a piece of nasa equiqment to me :P
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
lol
the hz, you mean?

it just looks all space-like, because it's got a quick connect cable. it all lines up and you plug the quick connect end into those pins. the other end of the cable is the same as any other pickup (unless you go for the new solderless option EMG's offering now)
Thats pretty damn handy :O, ive been looking to get a cort vx 4v btw, it has the emgs were discussing
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
iirc someone said that 'EMG's will sound terrible with 500k pots' so if you want the EMG sound you'll have to use 25k pots (as said above), you'll also want to be using a stereo jack so the battery isnt drained whilst not in use. The switch will not need replacing.
Also, to the person who said that the low impedance pots work like a preamp that's wrong, the pickups themselves contain a preamp.
And lastly, you only need 1 battery unless you want to do the 18 volt mod (look it up, i think its either in the EMG thread or has it's own)