Hi

Im looking to buy a distortion pedal to use with my Peavey Bandit. Right now I've got a Ibanez RGR321EX and my bandit. I'm really happy with this amp, especially the clean channel, but I think I could really do with a distortion pedal for better metal tones especially. The main thing im looking for is lead tones seeing as the rhythm tones I get are usually fine.

I play metal like Megadeth, Metallica and Dio and some other stuff like Coheed and Cambria and some blues(which is fairly important to me). My first idea was an Ibanez Tubescreamer but i'm wondering how well that'd work with a solid state amp, although apparently my amp takes pedals very well.

So, suggestions?
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

DigiTech XMM Metal Master-Distortion Guitar Pedal ($90.00)
or
Behringer SM400 Super Metal High-Gain Distortion Pedal ($30.00)

both are good
tubescreamers dont work very well with solid state. I have always been fine with the amps overdrive for thrash/death so I can't really recommend anything. Maybe what you actually need is a compessor, delay, or EQ?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I wouldn't make any generalisations about Solid State as a lot of them do react more like tube amps in terms of the signal you put in front of them. I imagine the Bandit probably does. I wouldn't try to boost it in that way necessarily though just to be safe.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
I wouldn't make any generalisations about Solid State as a lot of them do react more like tube amps in terms of the signal you put in front of them. I imagine the Bandit probably does. I wouldn't try to boost it in that way necessarily though just to be safe.
Ive tried boosting my V1 Bandit...didnt work very well

Ive tried boosting my Ampeg too, and again, didnt retain clarity and sounded almost looser? versus tubes sounding tighter
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Budget?

Ignore 100%'s post. Both pedals he/she suggested are **** and I'm debating if he/she's a troll or not.

Some suggestions I like would be:

Blackstar HT-DIST X
TC Electronic Nova Drive
Digitech Hardwire TL-2
Radial Tonebone Hot British
Tech 21 Sansamp GT-2

EDIT: I've heard that boosting SS would be a bad idea.

Don't overdrive pedals boost tubes to drive them harder thus making more gain? So if you boost SS, you get clipping?
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Budget?

Ignore 100%'s post. Both pedals he/she suggested are **** and I'm debating if he/she's a troll or not.

Some suggestions I like would be:

Blackstar HT-DIST X
TC Electronic Nova Drive
Digitech Hardwire TL-2
Radial Tonebone Hot British
Tech 21 Sansamp GT-2

EDIT: I've heard that boosting SS would be a bad idea.

Don't overdrive pedals boost tubes to drive them harder thus making more gain? So if you boost SS, you get clipping?

They push tubes as a side-effect if you turn the level up, but that's not how they necessarily work. They simulate a tube overdrive which is especially complementary to a tube amp since its pretty much the same waveform.
I'm looking for more first hand experience with someone using a TS9 or TurboTS with a solid state or suggestions for good distortions or overdrives that work with a solid state.

And yeah, no offense to 100% but that wasn't the best advice.
Quote by ApeWeevil
They push tubes as a side-effect if you turn the level up, but that's not how they necessarily work. They simulate a tube overdrive which is especially complementary to a tube amp since its pretty much the same waveform.
I'm looking for more first hand experience with someone using a TS9 or TurboTS with a solid state or suggestions for good distortions or overdrives that work with a solid state.

And yeah, no offense to 100% but that wasn't the best advice.
Well the pedals I suggested are good with SS amps.

And that's what I was talking about- boosting the amp, not simulating a lightly overdriven tube amp.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Well the pedals I suggested are good with SS amps.

And that's what I was talking about- boosting the amp, not simulating a lightly overdriven tube amp.

Thanks man, its kind of hard to find decent advice from someone who actually knows something about gear.