Riiight, well im gonna buy a guitar and i want an electric-acoustic. But, in sayin that, 9 times outta 10, i'll be playin it unplugged. Im not that experienced, but i am lookin at takamines at the moment. i like the look of the eg523sc, but havent had a chance to play one yet. does anyone know if sounds good unplugged? and feel free to suggest other guitars!
maybe this is a stupid quiestion, but is it possible to buy an acoustic and then, after a while, put in a pre-amp??
you could do that... but it would be more difficult and expensive. you should just get and electric acoustic. Im no use at that though, only played several and cant remember there names. I know Yamaha's got some decent sounding ones
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Try tanglewood too
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
most acoustic electrics won't suffer from the electronics in them. the best plan is to test them all out in store, but i would always buy for the true "acoustic" sound, not the sound of the electronics.

anyway, you can have a preamp put in afterwards, but that can be expensive, and cutting into the body of an acoustic is always a bit of a risk. acoustics are made really carefully with tons of time put into internal bracing and such. so when you cut a big square out of the shoulder it can sacrifice some tone or stability. the best option if you wanted to buy an acoustic without a preamp is to get a soundhole pickup. they can be expensive, but not as much as putting a whole preamp in the guitar. i think they sound great, and you wouldn't have to cut into your guitar to fit it. you'd just have to deal with a wire or two, but it should clip right in to the soundhole.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by slashfan189
Try tanglewood too

Yeah I have a Tanglewood, it's really nice and plays great!
I recently bought a Faith Eclipse Venus electro acoustic partly because it sounded really good when played unplugged. Best thing to do is go to the shop and play a few both plugged and unplugged to see which guitar you like.
i love how the eg523sc looks - especially the black version. they are fun to play, but unfortunately the unplugged sound is sorta dead. i've played a bunch of 'em, but after the initial excitement when i tried one for the first time, i began to realize that they just don't have "it".

my first suggestion is the yamaha fgx730sc. it's not quite as sexy as the tak, but it is a bit cheaper and has better sound unplugged. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-FGX730SC-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105344295-i1449311.gc

if you like the shape of a jumbo, the acoustic electric version of the seagull mini jumbo might work for you http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-Performer-Cutaway-Mini-Jumbo-Flame-Maple-High-Gloss-QI-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-869545-i1447875.gc

or check out any seagull acoustic electric on this page - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull,6-String-Acoustic-Electric-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar,500-700.gc

there are also some martin acoustic electric solid tops, and they sound pretty good. or there's the taylor 110e which i like, although some here don't care for them. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-110-E-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-102946373-i1148408.gc

Quote by --tara--
Riiight, well im gonna buy a guitar and i want an electric-acoustic. But, in sayin that, 9 times outta 10, i'll be playin it unplugged. Im not that experienced, but i am lookin at takamines at the moment. i like the look of the eg523sc, but havent had a chance to play one yet. does anyone know if sounds good unplugged? and feel free to suggest other guitars!