I am beginning preliminary searches for a new amp that I will take with me to college (Since I can't quite lug about a 100 watt all-tube 2x12!). I am looking for a good Rock Amp. High-gain wise, the highest I could go is a general approximation of the Satriani sound (So, not that high). I love the Soldano overdrive, though I know I can't get that in a small package :P I am just into the hot-rodded Marshall lead/crunch tone, but I'm looking for a compact package. I can get Head and a 1x12, or I can get a 1x12 (or smaller) combo. It has to have a Headphone input, or else be capable of getting incredibly quiet while sounding good (aka, headphone input =P ). I have no price standard, so feel to be creative. This is my first check on amp ideas, at least 6 months before I get it. I don't know how much money I'll have by then, but I wouldn't be surprised if I had up to 1,500 to spend on this.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
1500 what?? my first choice would maybe be something like a JVM combo, that can do pretty much everything and is under £1000 in the UK. Or if you like Satch then maybe a JSX combo??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
there's this new company called Jet City Amps that are budget clones of Soldano amps, apparently. And lucky for you, they have a 20 watt model.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Dollars. And these things need to be able to be played quietly, or with headphones. But yeah, ok
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
get a Rm20
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O
get a Rm20

I have an RM100, and know that I love it. However, I thought the RM20 had no headphone slot :\ And it's too loud without it
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
then a rm4 rack pre with some sort of headphone amp...
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Honestly, I'd just get a nice modeler. It's easy to record with them too, no mics and all that.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
orange dual terror? i quite like the tiny terror, the dual is its 2 channel brother. i've never played it, but the tiny is quite nice. PLUS, you can switch the wattage way down i believe.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
No.

Stop it.

You aren't bringing a tube amp into a dorm room, the walls are too thin and you simply will not get the volume for any reasonable amp overdrive without people around you wanting to kill you. Just get a Cube, or a Valvetronix (preferably) and save up money so you can get a real Soldano for home use.
Quote by TimmyPage06
No.

Stop it.

You aren't bringing a tube amp into a dorm room, the walls are too thin and you simply will not get the volume for any reasonable amp overdrive without people around you wanting to kill you. Just get a Cube, or a Valvetronix (preferably) and save up money so you can get a real Soldano for home use.

I'm fine with my big amp. I have no intent on playing loudly, though. Again, Headphones are the key to this (And thus I am looking at the Blackstar HT-5).
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Gibson SG Classic
If you can find an old Marshall Studio 15 that'll be ideal; it has a headphone jack (you can also run the speakers from the headphone jack for an instant attenuator) but more importantly it's low wattage and great tone, and should meet the levels of gain you need.
They go for well below $1500 but the catch is finding them. One does pop up every so often, though.
If you find one though, I don't think you'll regret buying.
Well if you get something that is less than 50w tube. You can always get this.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/hpa50.htm

Go for the RM20 or wait till the RM22 comes out. Throw this on there and you'd be set man.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by Rock Pig
If you can find an old Marshall Studio 15 that'll be ideal; it has a headphone jack (you can also run the speakers from the headphone jack for an instant attenuator) but more importantly it's low wattage and great tone, and should meet the levels of gain you need.
They go for well below $1500 but the catch is finding them. One does pop up every so often, though.
If you find one though, I don't think you'll regret buying.

I second this but hate always rec'ing something I own.

Incredible tone, my recording tech at work is in love with my studio 15.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What about the little tube micro amps that are like 1/2 watt? They get some good OD tones.

EDIT:

http://www.siegmundguitars.com/muddybuddy.html
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Last edited by woodenbandman at Nov 26, 2009,
Pod X3
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet