Page 1 of 2
Ive been hearing about schools looking on students myspace/facebooks ect. and seeing pictures of drugs or breaking the law of any kind and busting them for it.

Does anyone have a link to a page explaining the legality of this?
It's party time!
This is why you set your profile to private, and don't add teachers.
If you put stuff in the public domain, you can't really complain if it comes back and bites you in the ass.
Well, don't be an idiot and post pictures of you doing illegal shit, they'll have no reason to bust you.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
I'm not a fan of them doing it but I feel that they have a responsibility to know about their students to possibly protect the interests of others or to understand the individuals better.

With every right comes a responsibility, and the responsibility the schools have here is to not use the information for incorrect purposes, such as excluding someone due purely to one of their interests or views.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
No, sorry. But I think it's bullshit. What students do on their own time, off the school premises, is their parents or their business, NOT the school's.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
tbh, if you put pictures of yourself breaking the law on a public facebook page, then you probably deserve to get busted, but from a civil liberties point of view, I completely agree that they have no right.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
dont take pictures of youreslf when you do illegal shit.

or atleast dont post it up in public

EDIT: aside from that. I think most illegal shit shouldn't be illegal anyway...

but dont give the picture to the world
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
Last edited by Aerokizzombie at Nov 26, 2009,
putting stuff up on the web is the equivalent of posting flyers - public domain, like MightyAI said. an exception would be if you were putting it up in your own protected storage space or something, but that's clearly not what facebook/myspace are.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Aerokizzombie
dont take pictures of youreslf when you do illegal shit.

or atleast dont post it up in public

While this is true, I still don't think Schools should have the right to effectively spy on their students private lives. I've never had a facebook so I've got no experience with that but when I lost my phone at college, my head of sixth form thought it appropriate to look through my texts to check whether I was smoking herb. Needless to say I was mortified. I wasn't exactly bothered about him knowing that I smoked it, I've never made a secret of the fact but that he looked through my texts is unacceptable. There were some very private things in there and he had no right to do it.
The same thing applies to facebook in my opinion. The information people put on facebook shouldn't be used by a third party to gather information on the owner even if they haven't set it to private.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Last edited by IDread at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
putting stuff up on the web is the equivalent of posting flyers - public domain, like MightyAI said. an exception would be if you were putting it up in your own protected storage space or something, but that's clearly not what facebook/myspace are.

However what happens if you aren't the person putting up the photograph. You could easily have your profile page set to private, but your mates might not and there may be incriminating photos of you on their pages.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
If it's on the internet, it is no longer private. Also, if someone is stupid enough to do that, for the kids safety someone should do something about it.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
However what happens if you aren't the person putting up the photograph. You could easily have your profile page set to private, but your mates might not and there may be incriminating photos of you on their pages.

It's pretty much the same as having your mates talk about something you did within earshot of a teacher and getting hammered for it.
Quote by MightyAl
It's pretty much the same as having your mates talk about something you did within earshot of a teacher and getting hammered for it.

Not really because, having been in that situation, all you have to say is "They weren't being serious" and all they have to do is say the same thing and everything's cool again. Pictures on the other hand, can be printed out and leave little room for denial, other than "That's an incredibly good photoshop".
Plus teachers seeking out pictures on the web is a bit different than happening upon a conversation, if they were lurking behind doors and planting listening devices I think most of us would have a problem with that.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
they should invite the teachers to join in smoking weed or whatever with them

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Quote by ctb
I don't see why they shouldn't have a right to do that.

Because what students do off school grounds out of school time is none of their business unless it is seriously effecting the students performance.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Not really because, having been in that situation, all you have to say is "They weren't being serious" and all they have to do is say the same thing and everything's cool again. Pictures on the other hand, can be printed out and leave little room for denial, other than "That's an incredibly good photoshop".
Plus teachers seeking out pictures on the web is a bit different than happening upon a conversation, if they were lurking behind doors and planting listening devices I think most of us would have a problem with that.

So either don't take photos of the offending activity, or don't post them.
Christ, the media spends so much time telling us that kids are really 'tech savvy' these days, but they don't seem to understand that privacy is very hard to come by on the internet, and you really shouldn't put up there anything you don't want seen.
1: They shouldn't be doing it.
2: The schools have no right to bust them for it. They are not in their legal rights to act upon activities partaken out of school grounds unless the effects are still upon them in the school grounds.
3: People are idiots.
Quote by MightyAl
So either don't take photos of the offending activity, or don't post them.
Christ, the media spends so much time telling us that kids are really 'tech savvy' these days, but they don't seem to understand that privacy is very hard to come by on the internet, and you really shouldn't put up there anything you don't want seen.

When you go out do you know every photo that is being taken of you, by whom and what you're doing at the time? I sure don't. There were at least 20/30 pictures taken on Tuesday night by the large group of people I was out with, some of whom were just friends of friends. I have no idea which of those photos I'm in, who took what ones, or whether or not they are going to be put up on the internet or what site on the internet they'll end up. And I was completely sober. Add drink or drugs to the equation, which are the activities that are most likely to get you in trouble, and you might not even realise or remember that a picture was taken. I remember having to ask a friend to take down a few pictures of me from a night out that were a bit incriminating once, but that I had no idea were being taken (which was obvious from the photos, I was dancing with a girl on the roof of a car at the time). I was lucky enough to come across them, and that it was a friend who had taken them, there were about 50 people at that party and had someone else taken them I might never have found them until my school printed them out and showed them to me.
I don't even have a facebook anymore so I have no idea what photos of me exist online.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Firenze
Well, don't be an idiot and post pictures of you doing illegal shit, they'll have no reason to bust you.

I've gotta agree with this, anyone who gets caught out this way really does deserve it in my opinion.
Quote by boreamor
2: The schools have no right to bust them for it. They are not in their legal rights to act upon activities partaken out of school grounds unless the effects are still upon them in the school grounds.

This is my main concern. I could see the school letting the parents know, but that's about it. I don't think that the school should be allowed to actually take disciplinary action.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
When you go out do you know every photo that is being taken of you, by whom and what you're doing at the time? I sure don't. There were at least 20/30 pictures taken on Tuesday night by the large group of people I was out with, some of whom were just friends of friends. I have no idea which of those photos I'm in, who took what ones, or whether or not they are going to be put up on the internet or what site on the internet they'll end up. And I was completely sober. Add drink or drugs to the equation, which are the activities that are most likely to get you in trouble, and you might not even realise or remember that a picture was taken. I remember having to ask a friend to take down a few pictures of me from a night out that were a bit incriminating once, but that I had no idea were being taken (which was obvious from the photos, I was dancing with a girl on the roof of a car at the time). I was lucky enough to come across them, and that it was a friend who had taken them, there were about 50 people at that party and had someone else taken them I might never have found them until my school printed them out and showed them to me.
I don't even have a facebook anymore so I have no idea what photos of me exist online.

This is another big concern of mine. I think the only photo of me that could be incriminating is a picture of me passed out on a friend's bed. It's not really that bad, though, and I could just be sleeping.
Though there are those pictures of me with my hair done like Princess Leia...
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Last edited by SOADrox429 at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by MightyAl
This is why you set your profile to private, and don't add teachers.
If you put stuff in the public domain, you can't really complain if it comes back and bites you in the ass.

HOLY SHIT YOU MEAN THEY CAN'T FIND MY PROFILE IF IT'S ON PRIVATE?

BUT HOW ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO LET EVERYONE ELSE KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE TO GET HAMMERED AND POST PICTURES OF ME IN A DRUNKEN STUPOR?

Yes, schools should be allowed to do it if you're stupid enough to let it happen.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Perhaps, but will those other people have their profiles viewed by anyone with any interest in my activities?
And in any event, unless the events in the photo ocurred on your school premesis, or somewhere where the school was acting in loco parentis, they have no power to do anything about it.
Quote by ctb
I don't see why they shouldn't have a right to do that.

I actually agree with this to an extent.

If the student has clearly said on their page that they go to School A and there are pictures of the student doing illegal things then School A should be able to do it. As soon as you put your school on a page you are an acting as a public ambassador for that school as far as I'm concerned. If the school wants illegal shit taken down because you're dumb enough to have posted pictures of it online, then they should be able to.

If there is nothing stating which school you go to, then you should be able to do what you want and the school shouldn't have the right to go after you.
A guy over here had a picture of him pissing on a war memorial posted on the internet and subsequently he got prosecuted for it.

The solution is, if you're doing something illegal don't ****ing document it.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Inimical
I actually agree with this to an extent.

If the student has clearly said on their page that they go to School A and there are pictures of the student doing illegal things then School A should be able to do it. As soon as you put your school on a page you are an acting as a public ambassador for that school as far as I'm concerned. If the school wants illegal shit taken down because you're dumb enough to have posted pictures of it online, then they should be able to.

If there is nothing stating which school you go to, then you should be able to do what you want and the school shouldn't have the right to go after you.

I don't agree with this. Just because I state my school/college/uni so my friends can find me easier does not give any right to whatever college I go to to "bust" me for what I do in my private time. This is like Max Mosely all over again.
Quote by MightyAl
Perhaps, but will those other people have their profiles viewed by anyone with any interest in my activities?

If the school is viewing them and you're in the same school why wouldn't they?
And in any event, unless the events in the photo ocurred on your school premesis, or somewhere where the school was acting in loco parentis, they have no power to do anything about it.
I believe that the point of the thread is that schools are stepping outside those boundaries to general law breaking etc, employers often facebook stalk people too which is completely wrong given that what you do outside work is none of their business either.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

You make a good point. I know for a fact that there are pictures of me smoking herb on the facebooks of people I don't even know and recently as well I watched a video review of a festival I went to back in August, only to see video of myself, my girlfriend and two friends passing round a chalice.
It is very hard to control what pictures of you get into the public domain.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by Ur all $h1t
If the school is viewing them and you're in the same school why wouldn't they?
I believe that the point of the thread is that schools are stepping outside those boundaries to general law breaking etc, employers often facebook stalk people too which is completely wrong given that what you do outside work is none of their business either.

And that's why I wouldn't add my boss.
Quote by IDread
Because what students do off school grounds out of school time is none of their business unless it is seriously effecting the students performance.

It's legal of a member of the public to look on facebook and report illegal activities of people though. Even though it's a very shitty thing to do.
I think the schools should lay off what their students are doing outside of school hours.
I started this thread but I still have no link explaining that this is legal for the teachers to be sying on students cyberwise.
It's party time!
Quote by IDread
You make a good point. I know for a fact that there are pictures of me smoking herb on the facebooks of people I don't even know and recently as well I watched a video review of a festival I went to back in August, only to see video of myself, my girlfriend and two friends passing round a chalice.
It is very hard to control what pictures of you get into the public domain.

Hell, I play in a band. It's completely impossible for me to stop people taking pictures of me. Not so much of a problem now but when I was still underage it could have been, had my school been doing this kind of shit.

Quote by MightyAl
And that's why I wouldn't add my boss.

Better hope no-one else does, or that none of your co-workers have a public profile.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by boreamor
I don't agree with this. Just because I state my school/college/uni so my friends can find me easier does not give any right to whatever college I go to to "bust" me for what I do in my private time. This is like Max Mosely all over again.

That's where the difficult balance comes in. I think it's within a school's right to protect their image, but like all of you I think it's within a individual's right to act however they want to on their private time.

Until a body of law says something otherwise, I think it's within a school's right to protect their image and if that involves reprimanding students for illegal activity when they clearly show an affiliation with said school it's completely fair. Keep your profile private and have your friends keep theirs private as well. To that effect, don't do illegal shit when someone has a camera around you.
Last edited by Inimical at Nov 26, 2009,
I'm completely against it. Schools are learning institutions, meant for teaching, not investigating and busting students.
Whatever the students do outside of school premises and hours is none of the school's business and they should have no power over it whatsoever.

EDIT: As for schools protecting their image, they should concentrate on what they teach their students instead of what their students do on their free time. It's not like good schools are thought to be because they bust stoners through facebook...

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by Zoso1994 at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Hell, I play in a band. It's completely impossible for me to stop people taking pictures of me. Not so much of a problem now but when I was still underage it could have been, had my school been doing this kind of shit.

I've had that problem before. Part of my act used to be to smoke a spliff on stage but when I realised how many pictures of me smoking spliffs were popping up all over the place (including the local newpaper) I stopped doing it.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Last edited by IDread at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by Inimical
That's where the difficult balance comes in. I think it's within a school's right to protect their image, but like all of you I think it's within a individual's right to act however they want to on their private time.

Until a body of law says something otherwise, I think it's within a school's right to protect their image and if that involves reprimanding students for illegal activity when they clearly show an affiliation with said school it's completely fair. Keep your profile private and have your friends keep theirs private as well. To that effect, don't do illegal shit when someone has a camera around you.

If I am not wearing uniform, I am not representing the school.
Quote by Inimical

Until a body of law says something otherwise, I think it's within a school's right to protect their image and if that involves reprimanding students for illegal activity when they clearly show an affiliation with said school it's completely fair. Keep your profile private and have your friends keep theirs private as well.

Hell, while we're talking about groups you belong to (not to mention pay for the existence of) demanding that you keep up their image why not extend it to towns, or even countries. Enshrine it in the law. If you do something that makes your country look bad, like drinking heavily, and post pictures of it that should carry a jail term or deportation. Universities should be able to fine alumni for making them look bad (Where did the woman who wrote Twilight go to University, they're in for a lot of money). Every community you belong to, from schools to towns to sports teams, should have an influence not only on what photographs exist of you that you control, but also on the photographs of you that your friends own. In fact, why stop at friends? Surely the church of Scientology should demand that people stop showing silly looking pictures of Tom Cruise, it makes them look bad.

Groups you belong to have absolutely no right to control your private activities, unless they are employing and paying you to keep up their image.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by Zoso1994
EDIT: As for schools protecting their image, they should concentrate on what they teach their students instead of what their students do on their free time. It's not like good schools are thought to be because they bust stoners through facebook...
I don't think it affects their image. Hell, I don't think schools should be able to do this. However, if a school interprets this as a threat to their image and you have clearly shown association with it, I think they are in withing a right to do something about it. This isn't about whether or not I think it affects the school's image if I'm smoking a joint in a picture online, but whether the school does.
Quote by boreamor
If I am not wearing uniform, I am not representing the school.
Not directly, no. But saying you have some affiliation school means they could perceive a threat to their image. If they want to protect that, then why shouldn't they be able to?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Hell, while we're talking about groups you belong to (not to mention pay for the existence of) demanding that you keep up their image why not extend it to towns, or even countries. Enshrine it in the law. If you do something that makes your country look bad, like drinking heavily, and post pictures of it that should carry a jail term or deportation. Universities should be able to fine alumni for making them look bad (Where did the woman who wrote Twilight go to University, they're in for a lot of money). Every community you belong to, from schools to towns to sports teams, should have an influence not only on what photographs exist of you that you control, but also on the photographs of you that your friends own. In fact, why stop at friends? Surely the church of Scientology should demand that people stop showing silly looking pictures of Tom Cruise, it makes them look bad.

Groups you belong to have absolutely no right to control your private activities, unless they are employing and paying you to keep up their image.
Alright, fair point.

For the record, I don't think schools should have the right to do this, I was just playing devil's advocate. You brought on an angle I hadn't thought of.
Last edited by Inimical at Nov 26, 2009,
Page 1 of 2