My personal faves are Fernando Sor and Bach. Others highly recommended are John Dowland, Francisco Tarrega, Hector Villa Lobos.

There's a good start.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
My personal faves are Fernando Sor and Bach. Others highly recommended are John Dowland, Francisco Tarrega, Hector Villa Lobos.

There's a good start.

CT

+1.
Great choices in my opinion.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I hate to be a spoil sport but very few of you mentioned classical composers! Dowland isn't even part of the common practise era, he's a renaissance composer.

Regardless, the only classical composers I can name are Haydn, CPE Bach and Mozart.

Quote by guitarmageddon0
are there any ones that are particularly dark?

Mozart is the darkest stuff I can think of. Like there are some parts of Mozart's requiems which are... dark. By dark, I mean it's using minor tonality, which isn't very dark by our standards. Solfeggietto by CPE Bach is pretty dark in my opinion, but it's more of a baroque song than a classical song.

The thing about classical is that form is a big part in it. Arguably, this creates a lot of limitation, especially when it comes to darker music.

Music started getting dark in the romantic period (a period after the classical period). In fact, a lot of songs a metal player would be interested in are romantic songs. Like Paganini's caprices and Chopins concertos. This sort of thing gave rise to the modern neoclassical guitar solo (think Yngwie and Jason Becker).
Schubert wrote some epic melodies, which a metal singer might be interested in. Some of it is very dark. Romantic music is much more appropriate for inspirational purposes in concerns to a modern musician. Classical music is a little... bleh for most of our tastes.

Paganini, Carulli, Carcassi and Giuliani wrote a lot of romantic guitar stuff. When people say "classical guitarist" they usually think of the stuff these guys wrote. I used to know of some awesome Spanish guitar dances, but I forgot who wrote them. It's a pity I lost half of my common practise music cds.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
While what you say is true on a technical level, the intent of the question seemed, to me at least, clearly to be looking for composers that contributed to the canon of classical guitar repertoire rather than specifically of the classical era.

And while I have a great respect for Haydn's work, and Mozart is one of my favourite composers, both of them virtually ignored the guitar as a serious instrument. My favourite classical guitar piece is a theme and variations on Mozart's Magic Flute.... but was composed by Fernando Sor (IIRC, technically a Romantic period composer) - not Mozart himself.

And on a technical level, I really find it irksome that people even mention any derivitave of the word "classical" in the context of players like Malmsteen, even though I can see where they would get that from.

Villa Lobos tended to be dark. Erik Satie and a lot of modern composers got quite dark. I had a Benjamin Britten piece for classical guitar at one time, too, but I can't remember what it was. I was never really a fan of modern composition for the classical guitar as much as I was of the renaissance, baroque, classical and romantic periods.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Segovia didn't compose, though he was (and still is) the gold standard by which classical guitarists are measured.

Isaac Albeniz should go on the list.

CT

Quote by demonofthenight
I hate to be a spoil sport but very few of you mentioned classical composers! Dowland isn't even part of the common practise era, he's a renaissance composer.

Regardless, the only classical composers I can name are Haydn, CPE Bach and Mozart.

Classical music can refer to western classical music in general (which encompases baroque, romantic, as well as the classical period) or specifically the classical period which was a specific period of classical music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music