It's so frustrating... I can't seem to keep all of the strings down with my pointer finger...Do i just need to continue practicing, and my fingers will evenually become conditioned or what? My fingers are pretty small for being 18 so am i just screwed?
Try rolling your finger on its side slightly, or put it at a slightly different angle. Try and keep it as close to the frets as you can. You don't need to put any more pressure on than fretting a normal note - its just getting the techniqe down. Don't worry - barre chords are a pig for everyone to start with

Edit: Your fingers are plenty big enough - its just practice and getting the right technique
Last edited by zhilla at Nov 26, 2009,
don't bar the pointer finger down first. for example F major place your middle ring and pinky down on the indicated frets. then bar your pointer finger. or you can do it hendrix style with the thumb over method by placing your thumb on the heavy e and the pointer on the b string. hope this helps.
It just takes practice mate. At first it sounds crap, but doing it over and over with the correct technique and your fingers will strengthen and learn how to barre without much effort.
Thanks for the help guys. So i assume the side of my pointer finger is eventually going to be as calloused as the tips of all of my other fingers?
Quote by FINGERSSS
Thanks for the help guys. So i assume the side of my pointer finger is eventually going to be as calloused as the tips of all of my other fingers?
nah - at least not unless you use barre chords a darn sight more than I do lol

Oh, and don't forget you only need to barre the strings that aren't already being fretted by your other fingers too - so if you're playing an E Maj shaped barre you're already fretting the A, D and G strings with other fingers, so you only need to worry about the E, B and e strings with your barre - which means you can relax the middle of your finger a bit and just fret with either end