Hi all,

As one may notice from the post count, i'm a new member here, however i have been using these forums to help me become a guitarist. So far it's been an invaluable resource for learning songs and techinques etc.

Now down to what the post is here for. I'm thinking i want to buy a new guitar and well, i'm kind of stuck between three guitars.

The three i've got in mind are the Jackson DKMGT Dinky, the Washburn X50PROFE and the Ibanez RGT6EXFX. All three are around the same price, all have the EMG 81/85 combo and a fixed bridge which is what i'm looking for since i like to change tunings left right and centre due to songs i play.

In terms of gear i already own (which might influence you're recommendation), i have a Fender American Standard HSS Strat which i keep in standard tuning and a Schecter Damien 6 fixed bridge guitar with beefy strings kept in Drop C/Full Step Down tuning and I play both guitars through a Line 6 Spider III 120 amp. In terms of musical orientation i like bands such as Muse, Nevermore, Mudvayne, Orange Goblin, QoTSA, Rebellion, The Sword, Black Sabbath, Knuckledust, Iron Maiden and Antonio Forcione.

Now which out of the three guitars do you guys think would be best all round for the music i listen to?

Feel free to recommend and other guitars in the same price range/cheaper!
Last edited by malakai890 at Nov 26, 2009,
Well if you're going to play the sword and sabbath active pick ups aren't going to get youthst tone. So I'd go with a passive that's a high out put. Just as good and no stupid batteries. As for the guitar, get whatever fits you best. The one you feel most comfortable with is the one you want.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
since you already have two other guitars, why not save that money and get a better amp? better 2 guitars and a good amp than 3 guitars and a not so good amp.
Tbh in terms of my amp, i'm fairly happy with the one i have. I don't gig (only been playing for 18 months so have 0 confidence playing in front of others) so it's got to be a compact amp since it sits in my bedroom/lounge.

Also, there's no amps out there that catch my eye, or make me say "i want one now!". I'm sure there's some out there, but purchasing one now is not really an option. Was thinking of a POD XT style device though to augment the amp.

Edit: I am toying with the idea of a 7-String. Worth it?
Last edited by malakai890 at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by malakai890
Tbh in terms of my amp, i'm fairly happy with the one i have. I don't gig (only been playing for 18 months so have 0 confidence playing in front of others) so it's got to be a compact amp since it sits in my bedroom/lounge.

Also, there's no amps out there that catch my eye, or make me say "i want one now!". I'm sure there's some out there, but purchasing one now is not really an option. Was thinking of a POD XT style device though to augment the amp.

have you ever played a tube amp? If not go play some and listen to the change of your tone. You won't want a new guitar anymore
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
have you ever played a tube amp? If not go play some and listen to the change of your tone. You won't want a new guitar anymore

Yea your guitars will sound so much more nicer through a tube amp. So visit a GC store and try out a few tube amps and see how awesome they sound.
definately look for a new amp. you have an about a $1000 budget. I'd look at finding a used Bogner Alchemist. i've been playing one a lot lately and it sounds amazing and could easily pull off those styles of music.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
WASHBURN!!!!!! I find that the X series is just more versatile than both ibanez and jackson. I also think the wood quality is better. But take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm a Washburn fanboy.

EDIT: If you're going to be playing sabbath and the sword, then I'd definitley go with the Washburn, its got more midrange and bass than the dinky and the rg so you can get into the chunky low end riffing.
UG's Prodigal Son
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Nov 27, 2009,