I've been playing for 2 years now, and when not plugged in, I can play tech death songs (The Faceless, some Necrophagist) and it sounds just fine. Then, when I plug into my amp, it never plays what I'M playing cleanly.

Playing on a Peavey JSX (ULTRA channel), using ISP Decimator, and an EX400 on the bridge EMG (81).
Pres: 8
Res: 4.5
Treb: 7
Mids: 1.75
Bass: 6
Gain: 6.5

Are these settings naturally muddy as hell..? Or should I focus less on inside-picking and more on muting the strings after I hit them?
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
Last edited by Mr_CiNiC at Nov 26, 2009,
there's a big difference in playing an electric unplugged and playing with lots of distortion. unplugged is much more forgiving. i'd say keep practicing. you'll get it down before too long.
You may wanna try turning your mids up a bit, seeing as the guitar is a mid-ranged instrument you kind of needs some mids in order to hear it clearly.
Why don’t you post an audio clip so people can have some clue what the actual problem is?
Up the mids and possibly start backing off the gain a bit. The JSX is already high gain as it is, and running it on Ultra with an EMG 81 is pumping even more gain out. Too much of that WILL make things muddy.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Oh god, a JSX with those settings would essentially sound like a Line 6. You need mids, and a bit less presence IMO.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
The low mids won't help but it sounds mainly like a technique issue to me, practice through your amp more and work on your muting and picking.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Lawl, I like my mids... And it isn't a Line 6 sound, dude. Words can hurt.

I like having a heavy sound and enough treb so sweep picking can sound good. Gain used to be at 8. Lesson learned, and presence makes treble better, IMO.

In the opinion of the afternoon GG&A forum-goers, is this a gain problem, technique problem, or am I not allowed to have my mids like that and still have a good sound?
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
Lets see... Peavey JSX Ultra Channel... Gain at 6.5... EMG pickups...

hmm...
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by kyle62
Ditch the EMGs.

No.
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Love you too, babe.
its technique. practice3 through your amp from now on until you figure out what sounds sloppy. are you letting things ring out? too many bum notes? not muting good enough? theres many possibilities, none dealing with the position of your mids knob...
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Alright, thanks for all the input, guys.
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Love you too, babe.
Practice Through The Amp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not everyone likes mids at 5 or higher, if I play metal I usually have my mids low too.

Its your technique thats making this not sound clear.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
ever heard of fender?

fakedith,you should swap the pup with super low output Pup
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
It's partly technique, but at the same time having the mids that low and treble that high is more likely to make a fizzy sound thats way more likely to emphasize mistakes, like when sweeping, and it can result in a very muddy and "confused" sound at times, especially when mixed with cymbals and such.

I recommend mids to atleast be at 3 but if you're dead set on scoops, then just make sure your tech is flawless.

Hope I helped
Fender =/= Metal.
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Love you too, babe.
Fender? Lolwut?

As someone stated, practice through the amp, aiming directly at yourself. Alot of poeple can fool themselves into thinking they sound good by not facing the amp towards themselves. gotta hear what your audience will here.

Aim the amp at yourself, and practice through it.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's