As much as I've tried, I really don't like the way the Dragon II's in my PRS sound. I want something more vintage, lower output, less bassy, etc. I was considering Lindy Fralin PAF's. Does that sound like a decent swap? I'm worried about finding pickups that match the quality of PRS but I think the Fralin's will do it.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
As much as I've tried, I really don't like the way the Dragon II's in my PRS sound. I want something more vintage, lower output, less bassy, etc. I was considering Lindy Fralin PAF's. Does that sound like a decent swap? I'm worried about finding pickups that match the quality of PRS but I think the Fralin's will do it.

They're high quality pups for sure.They sound great in my friends Warmoth tele,so they should sound good through a PRS.

Other brands to consider are:

Bareknuckle
Seymour Duncan antiquity
Rio Grande
DiMarzio
Swineshead

And the numerous other boutique companies out there.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
They're high quality pups for sure.They sound great in my friends Warmoth tele,so they should sound good through a PRS.

Other brands to consider are:

Bareknuckle
Seymour Duncan antiquity
Rio Grande
DiMarzio
Swineshead

And the numerous other boutique companies out there.

Oh yeah! Bareknuckle. They make PAF styled pickups too right?

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Oh yeah! Bareknuckle. They make PAF styled pickups too right?

I'm pretty sure they do,though I haven't checked their site in ages.You could just email them,tell them what sound you want,and have them make a set for you.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I'm pretty sure they do,though I haven't checked their site in ages.You could just email them,tell them what sound you want,and have them make a set for you.

Sweet, I'll check that out. Thanks for the other companies.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Sweet, I'll check that out. Thanks for the other companies.

No problem,and good luck.I know all to well how much of a pain in the ass choosing pickups can be .

Rock Monkey

There's a lot of boutique pickup companies around, there's plenty of choice. I've got a strat set from Rock Monkey, really love them. Chris from Rock Monkey is on UG as well, his username is CorduroyEW.
WCR Fillmores are a great pickup for PRS guitars. Slightly more than the Fralins, but sweet pickups.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by al112987
WCR Fillmores are a great pickup for PRS guitars. Slightly more than the Fralins, but sweet pickups.

How do they compare to the Fralins? Would it be worth paying the extra...what? 40 dollars

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
If you're not worried about budget, I'd go boutique. If you're in the UK I'd go for Bare Knuckle or Bulldog, whereas in the US the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop range is probably a better idea. I personally would pump for a Bare Knuckle Mule or PG Blues.

I've heard great things about Lollars but can't comment on them myself, having never tried them.
Quote by Rock Pig
If you're not worried about budget, I'd go boutique. If you're in the UK I'd go for Bare Knuckle or Bulldog, whereas in the US the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop range is probably a better idea. I personally would pump for a Bare Knuckle Mule or PG Blues.

I've heard great things about Lollars but can't comment on them myself, having never tried them.

I'm slightly worried about budget. I can't drop 300 on a set. 250 is pushing it. 200 would be better but I'll pay more if I have to since it's my PRS and it really...just doesn't sound the way I want it to even though it plays like a dream.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
How do they compare to the Fralins? Would it be worth paying the extra...what? 40 dollars
Depends, Fillmores have a ton of character. No matter what, you'll be assured that they're great sounding pickups, but they might not necessarily be to your taste. I'd listen to some sound clips, they have a lot of mids and maybe not as PAF-like as the Fralins. PAFs to me do not has as much midrange as a Fillmore does and do not sound as... well, "velvety." They are my favorite non-PAF style pickup.

As for my favorite PAF style pickup, you might like something like Wolfetone Marshallheads, but those are pushing your budget too.

If you're looking at Bareknuckles, my favorite pickup of theirs is the Stormy Monday with AIVs, though depending on the guitar, you might find them slightly thin.
Quote by al112987
Depends, Fillmores have a ton of character. No matter what, you'll be assured that they're great sounding pickups, but they might not necessarily be to your taste. I'd listen to some sound clips, they have a lot of mids and maybe not as PAF-like as the Fralins. PAFs to me do not has as much midrange as a Fillmore does and do not sound as... well, "velvety." They are my favorite non-PAF style pickup.

As for my favorite PAF style pickup, you might like something like Wolfetone Marshallheads, but those are pushing your budget too.

I really like the way they sound. They may be a little hot for what I want though. The treble is only slightly lower output than my Dragon II and the bass is actually higher.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I really like the way they sound. They may be a little hot for what I want though. The treble is only slightly lower output than my Dragon II and the bass is actually higher.
Are you talking about treble and bass pickup? and DCR?

Don't trust DC resistance in this case. A pickup that is in that ~10k-13k range is not really all that hot, they're wound with thinner 43awg wire which has more resistance than the 42awg wire that PAF style pickups are wound to 7.5k-9k with, as a result the same number of tunes will give you a higher DCR, really all it does is add some more mids and soften the high end a little. I've had a lot of pickups, the Fillmores aren't exactly "hot" like a high output pickup, they're more of your vintage hot kind of hot.
Quote by al112987
Are you talking about treble and bass pickup? and DCR?

Don't trust DC resistance in this case. A pickup that is in that ~10k-13k range is not really all that hot, they're wound with thinner 43awg wire which has more resistance than the 42awg wire that PAF style pickups are wound to 7.5k-9k with, as a result the same number of tunes will give you a higher DCR, really all it does is add some more mids and soften the high end a little. I've had a lot of pickups, the Fillmores aren't exactly "hot" like a high output pickup, they're more of your vintage hot kind of hot.

Yeah, I was talking about pickups.

Thanks for clearing that up. Vintage hot as in sort of like...Eric Clapton with Cream or Jimmy Pageish type tone? One of the things I'm trying to get out of this aside from getting a set of pickups that i actually like the tone of is getting a set that doesn't overdrive my 5 watt champ at volume 4.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
<---- is interested in the dragons....
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
<---- is interested in the dragons....

I'm considering selling them, but I also sort of want to keep them with the guitar just in case I decided to sell it or something even though I don't think I ever will. I can't see any real benefit from keeping them aside from the resell value.

And to al112987, I was looking at the SD Antiquities. I've never been a fan of Duncan pups but my guitar teacher uses a lot of their pickups. Are they a solid value like Fralins?

Edit: ah! You changed your edit again

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Yeah, I was talking about pickups.

Thanks for clearing that up. Vintage hot as in sort of like...Eric Clapton with Cream or Jimmy Pageish type tone? One of the things I'm trying to get out of this aside from getting a set of pickups that i actually like the tone of is getting a set that doesn't overdrive my 5 watt champ at volume 4.
Vintage hot as in... well it's really hard to say because so much of their tone came from their amps. They can DO the Cream or Page tone but... they won't nail it. It kind of depends on how close you are trying to get...

I have a set of pickups that nail the Page tone, but they're very low output. Most folks who go for the Page-esque tone sell higher output, "vintage hot" winds, like Bareknuckle or Shed, which will run you around 9k or so. But Pagey's neck PAF is 8.2k (which I guess is moderate, maybe slightly overwound compared to most neck PAF replicas out there) and the bridge was a t-top which is around 7.5k which is pretty low on the output scale.

But take a listen to the soundclips in my profile. The rock n roll clip was done with the WCR Fillmores, and then the one called "SIBLY test" which is with the low wind Wolfetones that I had made custom. Take it with a slight grain of salt though, because I'll be honest, I recorded it with a cheap digital camera mic whilst playing through a Marshall MG. So... yeah.

If you want something actually LOW output though that will keep the front end clean through a champ

then I'd go ahead and put in plug for the following...

Seymour Duncan Seth Lover, Antiquities, Alnico II pro, Wolfetone Dr. Vintage...

Check out Guitarforce pickups too. You can get a set for $125 these days, and even though I've never tried them personally, I can pretty much assure you that they're PROBABLY better than any $125 pair of pickups that you can buy elsewhere. The guy that winds them is a highly respected winder amongst boutique winders and that $125 price is a special price for people on the MLP forum.

I did change my edit! And I'll add, yes! Antiquities are solid. Some of the best PAF style pickups out there, in fact, as far as the mass market with the big 3 makers out there, here is how I rank PAF style pickups...

1) Duncan Antiquities
2) Duncan Seth Lovers
3) Gibson '57 Classics

All three are extremely solid, and I would put Antiquities up there with Fralins, definitely. Fralins are great, but the best Fralins I've heard are the ones that he wind for RS Guitarworks. But those are ~$400 a set so.... yeah.
I'm probably going to lean towards the antiquities then I think. I'm attracted to the Fillmores I'll admit, but I think I'd be happier with the duncan's if they are in fact, high quality.

Also, what's the MLP forum? I might take a look into that as well. 125 is a lot more appealing than 240.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
MyLesPaul, the guy who winds Guitarforce pickups uses the screen name KevinT. But yeah, I believe the member pricing is $125, whereas the normal price is $220 for a set of his PAF style pickups.

Looking at his lineup, the Vintage '57s are similar to the Antiquities as far as being that Alnico 2 PAF style pickup and the Lord of Blues would probably put you closer to that Clapton, Page sound. Original PAFs differed quite a bit from pickup to pickup, so yeah. But I'm sure they're great pickups, they have all the correct appointments, the right winds, right wire, etc. which a lot of the cheaper, alternative options (things like Rockfield or Iron Gear) etc. don't have. Plus, despite their price, they're actual custom, handmade, boutique pickups unlike other pickups in that kind of price range like Iron Gear, etc.

But here is why I talk up Seymour Duncan so much, compared to anything Dimarzio or Gibson makes, the Antiquities and Seth Lovers are clearly a step above. They use the right materials, from the wire, even to the right bobbin material, and most of all, they're wound using the same Leesona winders that Gibson used. I really think people underrate just how much Seymour puts into his products. Premier guitar put up a video series touring the Seymour Duncan factory. What they do there is really impressive.
I certainly underestimated them but it's good to hear that they put out good stuff. Thank you for all of your detailed information, it's really helped me out a lot.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
yeah, if you have time, definitely check out this series of videos, part II of how to make a pickup is probably the most interesting.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Aug/The_Pickup_King_A_Video_Interview_with_Seymour_Duncan.aspx

And you can really get a lot of insights, Seymour is really an impressive guy, if you really think about it, he's been doing what all the boutique winders now are doing, since the '60s. Either way, the video has a ton of great stories about him and his dealings with high profile artists, etc. as well as interviews with MJ who is really most notable for winding Jimmy Page's pickups.