Lately I've come into doubt about how you -really- are supposed to play riffs etc. for electric guitar, I'll talk about this by giving an example:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/led_zeppelin/black_dog_tab.htm

The Black Dog riff, now I can play this easily, however for the most part I've -always- played it in a manner where I don't form any -chords- of any sort, yet instead just swiftly move my fingers on the left hand to play through the riff.

But lately I've noticed that with a lot of riffs like this, you can actually form some chords to make it easier to play the riffs, for instance in the case of Black Dog, I now use a barre on the fifth fret...

However is the barre method generally wrong for heavy riffs? I mean I have to turn the distortion and chorus way down to not get a muddy sound where I cannot make any sense of the tones, is this because my amp sucks (Vox AD30)? Or is one simply not meant to form chords out of heavy riffs?
it sounds like your letting the strings ring out when their not supposed to its fine to make a chord when playing as long as your only playing the string thats supposed to play as for the amp i dont know
Quote by supersac
it sounds like your letting the strings ring out when their not supposed to its fine to make a chord when playing as long as your only playing the string thats supposed to play as for the amp i dont know

No, I don't think you understand what I'm talking about.

I'm not hitting any strings I'm not supposed to...

This is a matter of whether I'm bringing to much sustain to the riff by forming it into chords.
Are they the same chords? You might just have to mute some strings out. The notes may be the same, but there's too much signal going into the amp. For heavy stuff, you usually want to minimize the number of strings played at once.
Quote by iduno871
It sounds like you need to learn to palm mute?

I was thinking this as a solution too, but then I'd have to be palm muting in between tones to break away the sound rather than palm muting to suffocate the tones while being played (at least for certain riffs).

For instance I palm mute the tones themselves when I play "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love", but it makes no sense to do when playing Black Dog since the tones need to be fully expressed.

Quote by ZonedOut245
Are they the same chords? You might just have to mute some strings out. The notes may be the same, but there's too much signal going into the amp. For heavy stuff, you usually want to minimize the number of strings played at once.

Yeah, I guess you're right, I'm probably overthinking this too much, but I do usually play heavy riffs in a "lead" manner as to minimize the amount of strings played at once, I was just wondering whether I should work myself toward the other technique more (and minimize distortion in turn instead).