i like deathcore, metalcore, punk, hardcore, jazz, and im getting a guitar soon. Do you guys know which guitars could be for different music styles? I dont know my exact budget, but i'd say 400-600
I have varying styles too, but I'm not too much into metal. I went out to buy a guitar some time ago and got a Joe Pass Emperor II because I love Jazz, but it bored me. Then I changed it for an Epiphone Dot which was my first choice and VERY versatile, but I learned to dislike. I finally "settled" on an MIM Telecaster because it plays most of the things I play pretty well. It's not very good for metal though, but what I'm trying to say is don't go for the obvious most versatile instrument, try to find something that really speaks to you. People like us though that go from almost no gain neck to 10 on the bridge might have a harder time picking out an instrument and might even think about it too much after making the purchase. What you need to do is go to the store and try random guitars you might not have even considered, just to see why another guitar is better suited for you. Since you play metal, you'll most likely end up with something that has humbuckers, but still, you never know what you'll end up liking.
I'd get a PRS SE custom 24 (Or the semi hollow) and have decent coil taps installed. Makes for a very versatile guitar.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
A Tele is a very good option, as stated. It's one of the only solid body guitars that can do convincing jazz tones, IMHO. To be fair though, you could get by with a HSS Strat with a stacked humbucker in the bridge with a coil split, or a nice semi like a Sheraton.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
a PRS would work well. They are good for many styles. But i find it hard to believe that you like deathcore and jazz.... but if you acutally do thats cool. good luck picking a guitar.
Going to need more info...alot more info. Just to show you how information less your post was you just asked for a guitar between 400-600.

What type of bridge do you want?
What style of neck joint?
What pickup layout?
What type of pickup?
What woods?
Anything else?
I never found out what pickups and all that are good so i dont know any of the questions you asked \=
Quote by phoenix_crush
a PRS would work well. They are good for many styles. But i find it hard to believe that you like deathcore and jazz.... but if you acutally do thats cool. good luck picking a guitar.

i like nile and b.b. king. how is it hard to believe that someone can have a broad liking of music? every day im surprised by stuff people say.

as far as guitars go, gibson, epiphone, prs, and fender will suit you for any of those things. just a matter of what feels best to YOU. not anyone else.

if you aren't sure about whats good and what isn't just ask. go to a local guitar store and just play a bunch of random guitars. tell the people what you want it for and your price range. tell them you wanna see every guitar in your price range. then just start playing them all. research stuff. it's 2009. the internet is pretty vast man. dont be lazy.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by crimson205
I never found out what pickups and all that are good so i dont know any of the questions you asked \=

Mmmk read through this and this both are a bit out dated but still useful and slightly relevant info.

Then I'd recommend you take a afternoon off a day and pay a visit to any guitar store and start playing with guitars of any brand and preferably different from each other. You'll gain 2 things out of this experiment; gas and a greater understanding of what you want in a guitar.
Imo Semi-hollows and Hollow bodies sound really cool when overdriven for metal and harder rock. Like Queens of the Stone Age. They're really good for punk and ska (Streetlight Manifesto is a great example). They really do cover all the bases. Have you checked out the Ibanez AS-73. Just throw in a set of pickups that suit your style and get a noise suppressor.

EDIT: A guitar that hasn't been suggested that you should know about is the Washburn WI Idol series, they fit in your price range, are super versatile and have one of the best quality to price ratios out there. They have coil taps and some come with Seymour Duncans.
UG's Prodigal Son
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by lunaticfringe93
Imo Semi-hollows and Hollow bodies sound really cool when overdriven for metal and harder rock. Like Queens of the Stone Age. They're really good for punk and ska (Streetlight Manifesto is a great example). They really do cover all the bases. Have you checked out the Ibanez AS-73. Just throw in a set of pickups that suit your style and get a noise suppressor.

EDIT: A guitar that hasn't been suggested that you should know about is the Washburn WI Idol series, they fit in your price range, are super versatile and have one of the best quality to price ratios out there. They have coil taps and some come with Seymour Duncans.

i do like the sound of a semi hollow body when its on a gain channel. i have a dot studio and even though its a cheap guitar it sound really nice for its price point. some better pick ups in it and i'd be even happier. plan on buying a second dot, but the model up from the studio. wanna have a couple. one set up in E standard and another set up in C standard. have all my basis covered haha. good call on the semi hollows man.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
i do like the sound of a semi hollow body when its on a gain channel. i have a dot studio and even though its a cheap guitar it sound really nice for its price point. some better pick ups in it and i'd be even happier. plan on buying a second dot, but the model up from the studio. wanna have a couple. one set up in E standard and another set up in C standard. have all my basis covered haha. good call on the semi hollows man.

Thanks. I'd save up for the Sheraton instead of the dot standard, but I'm not gonna tell you what to do.
UG's Prodigal Son
Quote by lunaticfringe93
Thanks. I'd save up for the Sheraton instead of the dot standard, but I'm not gonna tell you what to do.

sheraton is deff nice. but i like the dot. if im going to save up for any semi hollow it'll be a vox.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
With that kind of versatility, your amp matters much more. No one guitar can go from metal and punk tones to jazz tones if the amp can't. No matter what guitar you get, no matter what wood it's made of, no matter what pickups it has, no matter what coil splits and other wiring tricks you use, if your amp can only produce jazz tones, you're only going to get jazz tones; if your amp can only produce metal tones, you're only going to get metal tones.

Really, the most versatile guitar is a semi-hollow ash Strat with an SSS config and stacked or rail style singlecoil-sized humbuckers in each slot (my choices are a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge and Cool Rials in both the middle and neck positions, though what's bets varies depending on your amp and exact playing style), concentric pots for each pickup (these let you have one dedicated tone and one dedicated volume for each pickup individually, rather than most guitars which share controls between pickups), three mini switches to change each pickup between series and parallel wiring and a normal 5-way switch. A guitar like this would have to be a custom build and cost you more than any off-the-shelf guitar would.

Failing that, a Fender American Deluxe Strat is the next most versatile. It'll be a bit cheaper than the above custom build and still over most of the tone options. However, even this is still well out of your price range. Might be worth considering saving up for though.

Third best option would be to save up a bit more and get a Fender Classic Player Telecaster Deluxe with Black Dove Pickups (I believe they cost around $800 in America). Thisis a Telcaster with two P-90 pickups; if you replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan stacked P-90, it would be capable of good jazz tones from the neck (P-90s are often considered 'the' jazz pickup) and good rock tones from the bridge (with the right amp, this could be pushed into punk country quite easily - not so much metal though).

After that, in terms of what is available in your price range right now, Squier do a Telecaster with P-90 pickups that you could get (it's around $300 I think) and upgrade with your remaining money. It'll not be as good as the above Fender (no matter how much you upgraded it) but it'd be a respectable start.

A simpler option would be an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra (not the Ultra-II). It's a normal Epiphone Les Paul (which was originally designed as a jazz guitar but now has been used in every genre of music you care to name) only it's semi-hollow inside, making it both lighter and also somewhat more resonant. It will be at the very top of your budget (they come in at around $600 I think) but will is a very good all-rounder for most styles of music and playing. If you then saved up a bit more money you could replace the neck pickup with a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P-90 and the bridge could be changed to something a little more aggressive - paired with the right amp, this should cover 90% of what you want.

As I said at the start though, your amp matters far more in this than your guitar. If your amp isn't aggressive enough, you won't get the metal tones you want; if it's not smooth and clean enough, you won't get the jazz tones you want. Getting both in the same amp is going to be very, very hard. My advice would be to work out which tone is more important to you and focus your equipment on getting that tone, then for other tones you'll just have to make do with whatever you can scrape out of your rig, even if it's not perfect. It's better to do one tone very well than four tones averagely.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble

A simpler option would be an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra (not the Ultra-II). It's a normal Epiphone Les Paul (which was originally designed as a jazz guitar but now has been used in every genre of music you care to name) only it's semi-hollow inside, making it both lighter and also somewhat more resonant. It will be at the very top of your budget (they come in at around $600 I think) but will is a very good all-rounder for most styles of music and playing. If you then saved up a bit more money you could replace the neck pickup with a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P-90 and the bridge could be changed to something a little more aggressive - paired with the right amp, this should cover 90% of what you want.

it's not an actual semi hollow though. it has cavities in it. not the same as a semi hollow.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT