So my guitar is fine in E standard, but as soon as I try to play a full step down for some Death/Kreator, it absolutely gets butchered for any generic thrash riffs. Oddly though, it sounds fine at the higher notes (might just be my lack of an ear.)

Its not the strings, as they were recently changed. My FR is locked down, if that matters? Using a Peavey Raptor EXF Plus
With a Floyd, you need to have the trem set up for one tuning and leave it in that tuning, otherwise it wont work properly.
yeah, what littlephil said, that and if you aren't already, try .11 gauge strings.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
You need to loosen the springs in the back of the body on the trem claw a bit and retune. Then do it again if the tremolo isn't level. There's a tutorial in a sticky here in EG.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
he says his floyd is locked down.

odds are your strings are to thin, using 9 gauge?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Locked down (as in the locking screws and nuts)? Or blocked?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Locked down (as in the locking screws and nuts)? Or blocked?

This if it's just locked at the nut and at the bridge then it's not going to do much that will help the ts change from E to drop D. Anyway ts if you never pull up on the trem then just do a half block on the trem so that it basically becomes dive only, that means you can set it up in E standard and changed to D standard with the tuners and still not have much problem.