Alright, so I'm a bassist, and I'm trying to help my guitarist pick out an amp that he can use for gigging. I've got about 200 watts behind me coming from a 15 inch speaker and four 10 inch speakers, and we've got a drummer who likes to beat the shit out of his set (actually the link's in my sig). We play Muse/Radiohead/Coldplay/U2 stuff, and he's looking for something in the neighborhood of 100 watts, tube driven. He loves Matt Bellamy and wants that kind of tone, but Wolfmother and Radiohead are also big influences. He says he's got about $1000 to spend, and neither of us wants the guitar to overpower the bass.

To sum it up:
Genre: Alternative (Along the lines of Muse and Radiohead, not Nirvana and Alice in Chains)
Needs to be able to compete with, but not overpower, a loud rhythm section (200w full stack from the bassist and loud drums)
Kind of in love with Matt Bellamy

Any suggestions?
Just a rule of thumb - 100 watts isn't totally necessary for what you guys play. He might be able to get away with something in the 50+ range. You have a good budget to work with for 50-watt and higher amps so I'd say you're in good shape. For what you play I think he might want to look into some used Marshall (JCM 800/2000 maybe?) or some Orange (Rocker/Rockerverb, I think he can get them in that price range used) amps. Someone else will chime in with some other suggestions.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
I'm in almost an identical situation, and my 50 watt 2x12 keeps up, and could probably overpower my bandmates.

That said, I'm not as familiar with those tones, so I'm not sure what to suggest. Just stay open to things under 100 watts.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
He can do so much better than a Valveking on his budget.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Andrew Stockdale of Wolfmother has used Marshall, Orange, and Vox amps.

The Edge uses Vox AC30s.

The guys from Radiohead uses AC30s for their clean tones.

I don't think your guitarist could go wrong if he went with a Vox if he is in love with the tones those bands have.
Second the AC30, just doubt it'd be loud enough, driving some cabs it might though.

I'd suggest a used jcm 800 definitely, a combo. It'll do all of that and far more.
I haven't played an AC30, but they're supposed to very loud for 30 watts.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
The AC30 is pretty damn loud.

I'd just get one of those, personally, if those were the tones I was after and I wasn't comfortable having my amp modded. The AC30 doesn't have much gain on its own, and you'd have to use an A/B box to switch between the 'Normal' and 'Top Boost' inputs rather than just using a regular footswitch.

I'd actually recommend a modded Peavey Valveking, not over the AC30, but as another option to consider. With a speaker and OT swap, they really open up and come alive, but there's a population of UG who think that it's not worth it to do so if you purchase the amp brand new.

Also consider the Bugera V22 and V55, a used Budda Superdrive 18 (very loud in spite of its low wattage) Traynor YCS40, Peavey XXX (used) or a Peavey VTM.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Nov 26, 2009,
Used AC30 or a used Twin Reverb with a good O.D.

By the way, the song on your Myspace was pretty good.
1999 Fender '69 Thinline Telecaster Reissue
Ibanez TS-9
Vox AC4TV

Last.fm
Last edited by WillB13 at Nov 26, 2009,
Quote by Plexi81
Second the AC30, just doubt it'd be loud enough, driving some cabs it might though.

I'd suggest a used jcm 800 definitely, a combo. It'll do all of that and far more.

ac30s are hella loud. they are rated for 30 wats BEFORE clipping
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

umm,vetta anyone?

its not tube but its one hella killer modeling amp,he might want to look at that as well
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
^this
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive