I love my amp the way it is, but for some reason I was trying out overdrives with it at the local store and I noticed I was able to get the -absolute-br00tz kinda gain with an overdrive. Now, just for that extra capability, I've been thinking of checking out an overdrive, but i have been wondering if just a simple boost will get me to where I want to go, since I know that too may get me enough gain. Which should I look for? Or should I just try both out and get the one t hat does the job best?
Boosts are more for increasing your volume than tightening your gain. They simply bost the entire signal coloring it very little.

A good overdrive on the other hand focuses your mid range (so much for midscooping ), cutting your though the mix and pushing your tubes harder than an ordinary boost does.

I'm going to recommend the overdrive, whats your budget and I'll give some specific model recommendations.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Nov 26, 2009,
I'd say around $100. Top range is about $150, since I'm not really going to use it for more than adding that gain. If I was in a different band situation/ more into overdrives than a fuzz, then I'd be more into a better/ more expensive one.
a used fulltone OCD will do everything u want

(and more)
GEAR

1966 MUSTANG

valveking 112

markley tuner
Ernie Ball Wah
digitech whammy
fulltone ocd
usa big muff
boss dd7
boss rc-2

Quote by simpleben09
You sir have a mean ass rig. Have a great day.
Quote by Lehoogle714
a used fulltone OCD will do everything u want

(and more)

Not really. The frequency response isn't right for tightening up an amp. He'll want something in the Tubescreamer vein. I'd recommend a used TS9, maybe a TS7 if you want to go really cheap.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^this.

Sorry for not getting back earlier. But yeah, the OCD is more a standalone overdrive as opposed to a boosting overdrive.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
I'll attest to the relative uselessness of an OCD as a boost. My favorite OD pedal to use solely as a boost (so far) has been the Digitech Bad Monkey. You get that tightened midrange like you do with a tubescreamer plus separate high and low EQ controls for more detailed tone sculpting. Add to it that you can pick one up used for under $40 and you can't go wrong.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
what about a Blues Driver? I think that's what I was trying out first. For some reason, my local/ the only local music/ guitar store has a ****ing boner for these things, so I tried it out and it wasn't too bad. Now, is there a big difference with the tone buffer thing/ is it worth the value? (I think $80+ is a little much , but what do I know?)
I personnaly don't really like boss pedals. I prefer the bad monkey to pretty much anything cheap I played minus a v1 transparent overdrive from danelectro, the cool cat series. I liked the ts9 a little better than the monkey, but the seperate high and lows were nice.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I use the MXR Micro Amp for overdrive; sure, it's basically a boost pedal but I just crank it up to get the overdrive effect. The advantage is that you can play clean when you strum softer
Control your destiny.
Last edited by habits at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by habits
I use the MXR Micro Amp for overdrive; sure, it's basically a boost pedal but I just crank it up to get the overdrive effect. The advantage is that you can play clean when you strum softer

For some reason the idiots at my local store say it won't work as that with a tube amp, since I think at the time I was also looking for a lead boost. So, basically anything around the tubescreamer kinda vibe?
Quote by JDizzle787
For some reason the idiots at my local store say it won't work as that with a tube amp, since I think at the time I was also looking for a lead boost. So, basically anything around the tubescreamer kinda vibe?

It is less present on tube amps, but it is still adds a little bit of grit since it is not a transparent boost.
You want an overdrive.

Depending on budget: Digitech HardWire CM-2, Maxon OD808, Xotic BB Preamp/Plus, TC Electronics Nova Drive.