Well my roommate was looking for a new guitar as the other one is more a community guitar and I found a cheap strat on kijiji but the guy was selling it with a bass as well so I picked them both up and kept the bass for myself and restrung it left handed as I'm a lefty. I then found a free short scale bass on kijiji thats is a right but I'm going to string it lefty as well as soon as I can find some short scale strings. The first one all the wiring had to be redone and the 2nd one only had pickups, but a few extra knobs and pots laying around and I got that fixed up.

So basically the price I paid for the guitar and bass is what I was going to spend on a guitar for my roommate for his birthday anyways, so I got the bass for free and the 2nd bass was free.

Now I just have to learn to play bass. lol. I've been playing guitar for a bit now, but I've been enjoying playing around with the bass. I've been playing it through my PC into guitar rig as it has some bass amp and cab sims. Can't wait to get some strings and get the short scale one strung up.

Anyways, heres a pic of both of them.

And a family shot

Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by GeToChKn at Nov 26, 2009,
Not to sound like an idiot, but couldn't you just buy full size strings and cut them after you string it? I helped a friend change her 1/2 size guitar's strings and that is what I did for her...
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Guitar strings aren't wrapped at the end like bass strings. With bass strings you snip the ends and put them into holes in the tuner. Heres my one bass, which I strung wrong and have to redo after reading how to string a bass.

My understanding is the green coating on the strings has to be wrapped in the tuners. With the short scale, it is 4 inches shorter, so normal length strings would be way too long and the coating wouldn't reach.

Or to quote some info I just found on the web

Using long scale strings on a short scale bass causes the actual string wrapping to go around the tuning peg.

Sooner or later you will break a string and/or the core.

A standard scale bass is 34", which use long scale strings.

A short scale bass is usually 30" and 32" is sometimes referred to as medium scale. You can use short scale strings on 30" and 32" basses but not longer bass scales.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by GeToChKn at Nov 27, 2009,
that silvertone bass is quite a piece of work, i have one just like it and it was my main bass for a good while, really nice after a pickup change

also, how does stringing it backward affect its sound, seeing as how the pickup is offset
Quote by TexMex
that silvertone bass is quite a piece of work, i have one just like it and it was my main bass for a good while, really nice after a pickup change

also, how does stringing it backward affect its sound, seeing as how the pickup is offset

Since I've never played bass until 3 days ago, I'm not sure if it sounds off or not because of the pickups to be honest. lol. My plan is eventually to use most of the hardware on it and make a new body for it eventually that is left handed, add in a j style pickup along with the p style pickups. For now though, its fun jamming, taking what I know from guitar note and theorywise and ignoring everything else I know about guitar playing wise. lol. With guitar rig, a nice distorted bass amp and an autowah on in guitar rig, I can play the beginning of Pulling Teeth from Cliff Burton, which is something I always wanted to know how to play on a bass if I ever got one, when I got Kill'em all when it first came out, wow I'm old. lol.

And I did fix my strings from the above photo to this

Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3