Hello again bass forum.
I'll be getting an Ibanez SR500 soon and I'm considering saving up for a new amp as well, specifically this one. I currently use a Line 6 Lowdown 150, but I know Ampeg is a pretty beastly brand. I'm not sure if 100 watts is enough for small gigs though. Your opinions?
Ampeg combos are usually thought to be pretty bad compared to their heads. And it depends-- isn't your Lowdown bigger/better anyway? For a small gig like a coffeehouse, 100W would probably be fine, but I don't see the point in getting something that's smaller than your current amp.
That is a good combo bass amp, but I believe that you would be better off with something that has 200 watts or more. For something in the same price range, Acoustic makes a 200-watt combo:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B200-200W-1x15-w--Tweeter-Bass-Combo-104813787-i1399999.gc

Take a look at it. It is a good combo with a lot of headroom. Now, if your price range is higher, you have many more choices.
depends on your drummer or if you have a drummer at all. 100 watts doesn't go very far with bass amps
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
100 watts generally is not loud enough for anything more than practice. I own that amp and I think it's great, but I use an active bass through my passive input, making it a lot louder.

At most any gig though, you should be able to plug into the PA, so I wouldn't be too worried about your amp being loud enough.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
the Acoustic is far better. Ashdown makes a great combo in that range too.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Ideally you want shoot for about 300 watts. This gives you plenty of power as well as plenty of headroom.
I'd go for 200 - 300 watts at least. I'm using +/-220 watt (cabinet 450W/8ohm but with 307W/4ohm head) and it's barely loud enough to be heard over the drummer and guitar amps when rehearsing.
When gigging I suggest also playing through a PA.
Gear :
Ibanez GWB35 Gary Willis signature
Ibanez SR700 CN
Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV

Marshall MB4410
In the end, if your gigging in a place with a PA, then a lot of the time they will put you through the PA system anyway, the venue I regularly play at does, apart from one time cuz the sound man was a dick :\. It's best if the amp has a DI though, personally I don't like the sound of mic'd bass amps.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
In the end, if your gigging in a place with a PA, then a lot of the time they will put you through the PA system anyway, the venue I regularly play at does, apart from one time cuz the sound man was a dick :\. It's best if the amp has a DI though, personally I don't like the sound of mic'd bass amps.
Yeah, the Ampeg has a Balanced XLR out.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
In the sme price range as that Ampeg you could get an Acoustic B200 which, according to many people, including myself, is exponentially better. And 200 watts coming from that bad boy would be plenty for a smallish gig.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees