im trying to learn how to read music sheet on guitar but i have no idea where to start
and yes i have looked on the forum using the search bar but it shows me the most irrelevant stuff and i also looked at the lessons section on this site

so where should i start? any books recommendations,links?

any help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Quote by stefan1988
im trying to learn how to read music sheet on guitar but i have no idea where to start
and yes i have looked on the forum using the search bar but it shows me the most irrelevant stuff and i also looked at the lessons section on this site

so where should i start? any books recommendations,links?

any help is appreciated

Any of the standard method books should get you going.

Mel Bay, Hal Leonard......ect

There are lots of them.
shred is gaudy music
yeah. man.

Also get onto 8notes.com and look at their beginner stuff.

Once you get cool with first/open position (first 5 frets) then move to fifth (frets five-ten). A lot of people are very hesitant about moving up the fretboard because it'll take a week or two to get it down, and they just aren't that patient.

A lot of Beatles melodies are quite good and simple.

Make sure the first pieces you try out, you don't have to concentrate on timing. Minims and crotchets first week, then add in quavers, then semiquavers.. etc.

Also when you think you can play the piece you are reading, do it with a metronome. Record it and try and play it smoothly.
Just find any level 1 guitar book. It should show what notes are on each string and where they are on the sheet.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
The Guitarists Note Reading Method.
[img]http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/10/24/633604588429325324-annoyance.jpg[/img]

Billy Mays is definitely gonna give me nightmares now.

Quote by xxGUITARZER0xx
honestly no

but i just did the pallet town theme song cause someone wanted that

Quote by speakers
all of the above
mucho appreciated for the advice

but anyways do you guys have a link online or something i already know some of the basics in music sheet since i play piano

i know the trebble staff and i also know the bass staff

a few questions i have is how do you know in sheet music when certain notes are played in linear way or laterally?

i hope i worded it right like for example if i started G major scale on 6th string and just went down the string is the same as doing the Box pattern kind of thing for major scale which i will go through all strings but in a box position they are all still the same notes

i hope i explained myself right >_<
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Quote by stefan1988

i know the trebble staff and i also know the bass staff

You thankfully don't have to worry about the bass staff with guitar.

Quote by stefan1988
if i started G major scale on 6th string and just went down the string is the same as doing the Box pattern kind of thing for major scale which i will go through all strings but in a box position they are all still the same notes

I'm still not exactly sure what you're trying to ask but yes, there's more then one way to play each note.
Last edited by d1sturbed4eva at Nov 30, 2009,
I'm still not exactly sure what you're trying to ask but yes, there's more then one way to play each note.

like if i take a look at sheet music how do i know where im supposed to play that note? you know how the guitar have similar notes on like for Example the 5th fret on the E string is the OPEN A note on the 5th string

and for scale example if i take a look at the sheet music is how do i know how they want me to play the scale if just playing all notes in a string or if by staying almost in a position and just going through the notes hitting them on other strings

i hope is clearer now
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Quote by stefan1988
like if i take a look at sheet music how do i know where im supposed to play that note? you know how the guitar have similar notes on like for Example the 5th fret on the E string is the OPEN A note on the 5th string

There should be a position maker. Like if the piece should be played in the third position (or starting on the 3rd fret) they indicate it by roman numerals, in that case it would be III. If there isn't one it is in open position.

Quote by stefan1988
and for scale example if i take a look at the sheet music is how do i know how they want me to play the scale if just playing all notes in a string or if by staying almost in a position and just going through the notes hitting them on other strings

You don't really play something just on one string. If they wanted you to change position they indicate it by another position marker. If not you just stay in one position.