I'm looking for any free software that can be used 'compose' or create music. Preferabley something beginner'ish'... since I'm not too computer savy.

Thanks for the help!
Last edited by fngrstylgtr at Nov 26, 2009,
If your on a PC, there is a program out there called noteworthy composer. The demo is free and it doesn't have any restrictions on it, and you can use it for as long as you want. The only thing the demo does is print off an order page whenever you print something and affects printing such as printing a watermark on all of the pages. But for strictly composing, noteworthy composer would probably be OK for you.
musescore is very good and free!
It is a bit better than guitarpro and tuxguitar as you can put all the different clefs, you can label each stave a different instrument (so it shows up on the music) you dont have to deal with TAB all the time. You can move all your headings and edit them easily as you go and (unlike tuxguitar or guitarpro) you can make a new line even if you first line is not finished. This is very good for things like a coda or outro.
You can download Sibelius off a torrent, and you can get a good copy of cubase for about £120. I compose on Sibelius and then export the MIDI into cubase for better sounds.
Quote by trward07
If your on a PC, there is a program out there called noteworthy composer. The demo is free and it doesn't have any restrictions on it, and you can use it for as long as you want. The only thing the demo does is print off an order page whenever you print something and affects printing such as printing a watermark on all of the pages. But for strictly composing, noteworthy composer would probably be OK for you.

I vote for noteworthy also. Its enough for just composing.