Product Description
Add the latest technology to your computer with this high performance FireWire card from Koutech Systems. This PCI FireWire card features 2 6-Pin ports. PRODUCT FEATURES: Two external 1394 ports; Supports 100 / 200 / 400 Mbps transfer rate; Fully supports provisions of IEEE 1394-1995 standard for high-performance serial bus and the 1394A supplement.

Uh.. Kind of self explanatory, that is an "Entire firewire card"
First of all, is your bus type PCI
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
dudes please bare with me.
i know **** all about computers.
how can i tell? you mean the card slot? i have no idea what bus or pci is.
any little rectangle black panels on the side/back of your laptop? Ones that look like they're there just to fill a space?

yes? You got a slot. Buy a firwire card, take it to your local shop, get'em to bust open the panel for you and guide you through the installing process.
i was moreso looking into just a PCMCIA solution....
like an expresscard if you know what that is? people typically use it for additional memory storage.
because i don't have what you're suggesting, but that link has something that looks like it would work...
1) Google your PC to find out what bus type you have.

2) www.newegg.com

3) Search for: *Bus Type* (PCI, PCI Express, etc, whatever you have) Firewire Card

4) Install it.

5) Google how to install it if you can't figure it out, you just plug and play.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
If you have a PCMCIA slot on your computer, yes.
hug your local pug dealer!
a few options are available.

1 - Use a computer with a firewire port
2 - Buy a card that plugs into your laptop and adds a firewire card

I dont know of any "Adapters" but that card is what you will need in the end. Do however look for a TI chipset based Firewire card to prevent connection issues down the road. SIIG is a brand that puts TI chips in their cards.
Okay, in an effort to clarify some of the stuff in this thread and sum it all up into one post ... here we go:

You have a laptop, so you're looking at either a PCMCIA or ExpressCard IEEE 1394 (firewire) adapter (important point: for all intents and purposes, you cannot use PCI cards in a laptop). The best way to determine what you've got is to look at the manual that came with your laptop, or take a look at its specs on the manufacturer's webpage. You should see something regarding your laptop's expansion ports, and whether it uses PCMCIA or ExpressCard. Or you could take it into BestBuy or something and get them to tell you, if you're not into the "figure it out yourself" thing.

So. Once you know if you need PCMCIA or ExpressCard (if it's a newer laptop, you're most likely looking at ExpressCard), you know what format adapter to get and you can go to a site (as suggested above, I'd look at Newegg) and search for a firewire adapter that fits your laptop. Here are a couple of links:
PCMCIA Firewire adapters
ExpressCard Firewire adapters

Another point that you'll want to take into consideration is whether your audio interface needs a 6-pin or 9-pin firewire port. You can get adapter cables that go between the two sizes if you need to, but why not get it right the first time? Some of the cards in the lists I linked you to (this one, for example) have both types of ports, so if you're not sure which size firewire port you need you could always just get a card with both sizes and plug the cable into whichever one fits.

Also! Be sure to read the reviews before you settle on anything. Some of those (in fact, the one I mentioned as an example in that last paragraph) are pretty horrible for audio interfaces. Make sure you do your homework before buying. Google the hell out of anything you're thinking about getting to see if anyone's had any problems with it in the specific application you plan to use it for; if it's not good for audio interfaces, somebody will have bitched about it on the internet. You can bet your hat on it.
Last edited by kylegumby at Nov 27, 2009,
i love this last dude
i'm running expresscard.
thanks for being such a trooper and posting links!
your best bet is to call the company whos selling the audio interface and ask them which firewire adapters are compatible. typically they know which hardware works with their products and which doesn't.

i know this because I just bought a firewire interface.
^ This.

I've been having problems with my Presonus audio interface because my Dell laptop came with a crappy firewire connection on it. Meaning I'm gonna have to buy a card that actually works.

Presonus gave me a list of recommended firewire cards which definitely work, so it's best to do this before you spend money on a card.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.