Hi guys. Christmas is coming and i'm going to have some extra spending money and I figured a venture into the world of tubes would be a neat idea. I have my eye on the Fender BDRI because it seems generally well liked and seems like it'll do what I want, but I have a few questions.

1. How loud can this get? I've played it for awhile at GC at lower volumes and it sounded good, but can this guy hold its on in a band with a loud drummer, other guitarist and a bass player?

2. Is there an option for it to drive another cabinet. (only if needed)

3. How much gain does it have on tap? I'm not going to be playing death metal with this amp, I'm looking for a good blues-rock sound, classic rock and maybe some modern-ish rock. (Like the Raconteurs).

4. Just in case I wanted more gain, would it sound good with a good distortion pedal? the heaviest i'd like to get is classic metal like a good sabbath- like crunch.

5. Does it handle humbuckers? I'm going to be playing this with an SG special faded and am wondering if the higher output pickups will be problematic and overdrive the amp early.

Any opinions or experience with this amp would be great. Thanks everyone.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
1. It will play completely clean and be far louder then john bonham banging on your drums.

2. Yes.

3. Not that much gain at all. Go to whatever standard amp you own and turn the gain to three and raise the volume up, that's how much gain this has (the more drive channel sounds awful). You can add much more gain, all the way up to metal status, with pedals.

4. It would sound excellent with a tubescreamer or any metal pedal.

5. It handles humbuckers well, I've played RG's and les pauls through it.
Quote by Plexi81
1. It will play completely clean and be far louder then john bonham banging on your drums.

2. Yes.

3. Not that much gain at all. Go to whatever standard amp you own and turn the gain to three and raise the volume up, that's how much gain this has (the more drive channel sounds awful). You can add much more gain, all the way up to metal status, with pedals.

4. It would sound excellent with a tubescreamer or any metal pedal.

5. It handles humbuckers well, I've played RG's and les pauls through it.

Thank you. Although I think your thinking of the hot rod deluxe that has the "more drive" channel. This is just 40 watts, 12" speaker and tweed finish.
And yes, I've heard horrid things of this "more drive" channel, its kinda what turned me off of the hot rod series.
Quote by pedalguy1
Thank you. Although I think your thinking of the hot rod deluxe that has the "more drive" channel. This is just 40 watts, 12" speaker and tweed finish.
And yes, I've heard horrid things of this "more drive" channel, its kinda what turned me off of the hot rod series.

Ah yes indeed, mixed those two up. As I recall the drive channel of the blues deluxe was actually pretty decent compared to most fender drive channels. I prefer the superchamp's drive above all though, the tube modelling is top notch.

Any of those big tube amps in the fender line, deville, blues junior, blues deluxe, take pedals well and are very loud.
1. How loud can this get? I've played it for awhile at GC at lower volumes and it sounded good, but can this guy hold its on in a band with a loud drummer, other guitarist and a bass player?
really loud
one time,i take it to a tech to do some mods,and when hes crank it,the band that practice next door tell him to turn it down
yeah, 8 ohms
3. How much gain does it have on tap? I'm not going to be playing death metal with this amp, I'm looking for a good blues-rock sound, classic rock and maybe some modern-ish rock. (Like the Raconteurs).
Tiny amount of gain,boost is require
4. Just in case I wanted more gain, would it sound good with a good distortion pedal? the heaviest i'd like to get is classic metal like a good sabbath- like crunch.
get an overdrive,sound wayyy better
5. Does it handle humbuckers? I'm going to be playing this with an SG special faded and am wondering if the higher output pickups will be problematic and overdrive the amp early.
i use a really hot PuP and its sound fine :shug:
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.

Definitely loud enough for any purposes.

Yes, but you won't ever need one. It won't add much volume unless the speakers are of a higher efficiency.

Practically none. It sounds bad too IMO. I would never use it.

It takes most pedals pretty good. Unlike Meow said, I'd go for a distortion over an OD if you want that much distortion.

It handles any pickups just fine. IMO, single coil pickups and the Blues Deluxe aren't that great of a combo because it's so bright though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Keep it coming guys! How clean does the clean channel stay at higher volume? Should I be looking at an amp with more headroom?
Bump? I know some of you guys at least have tried it.
Just a warning, if you want a good hard rock/metal sound, even with pedals, it will be hard to achieve. I have both a Big Muff and a Fulltone GT-500 Distortion/Overdrive and I still struggle to get a good Zeppelin sound. My first problem is that I need a noise gate pedal, so that might help. The muff sounds pretty good with the amp and I can get a nice Smashing Pumpkins sound out of it. Will you be gigging with this a lot, or will it mainly be a practice amp? if so, I might recommend something a little smaller for practice use. The 40 watts is hella-loud and I barely have my volume knob past 3 ever.

For the positives, the Amp gets a really nice Bluesy sound. I play a lot of Creedence Clearwater Revival, Eric Clapton, and even a bit of clean Hendrix. My ultimate plan is to get a second, smaller, more gain amp (Egnater Rebel, Blackstar Ht-5, Orange TT) and AB the two amps to use the Fender's clean channel and another amps overdrive/lead channel.

hope that helps a bit. any questions feel free to ask

Current Gear

Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Jackson Professional Dinky
Fender Blues Deluxe
Vox Vt30

Mad Effects
Thanks MBradley. I left a message in your profile. Anyone else?
Quote by pedalguy1
Keep it coming guys! How clean does the clean channel stay at higher volume? Should I be looking at an amp with more headroom?

It'll stay clean at stage volumes. I borrowed one for a few gigs when my DeVille was getting fixed. Generally, anything over 30 will stay pretty clean at stage volumes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thanks Matt. I was a little concerned about this, as i've been reading that the clean channel starts to break up early. A little break up is fine by me.