So I'm not too knowledgeable about amps. I was wondering if it was possible to get a somewhat decent half stack for around $600 or if that is a bit of a fantasy. Something gig worthy. OR should I get a $600 head? And do you have any recommendations?
He's no good to me dead-Boba Fett
What genres of music do you play?

You're not going to get even a half-decent half stack for $600 unless you go used.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
What genres of music do you play?

You're not going to get even a half-decent half stack for $600 unless you go used.

Oh yes I forgot. I play a mix of rock and metal. Like Rage Against the Machine, Buckethead, All That Remains, Racer X/Paul Gilbert. OK. I figured it was a bit worthless looking for a new $600 half stack.
There goes that thread. Well if anybody sees this one, is it possible to play through just a guitar head?
NO! You need a cab. If it's a tube amp, you'll break it with no cab and an SS amp just won't make any sound. Just get a 5150/6505 combo, JCM900 combo or if you can get one cheap enough, a JCM800 combo and an OD.

EDIT: BTW, don't bump after 10 minutes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
No way. Those cabs are crap and the head won't do hard rock/metal.

That head can do metal. But at his price range the only way he could get a good head and cab is going used. I had to Cut cost somewhere man.