in my quest for the custom guitar - i have elected to wait, and buy my custom Manson Mirror, instead of getting a Gibson... now i have had 2 other ideas...

since i started guitar, any guitar i used has had Tune-O-Matic bridges (except my friends Strat which had a fixed bridge i believe), but i was thinking about getting a Lo Pro or an Edge Pro tremolo system on it.... but after reading a few posts on here, apparently there is more to having a whammy bar than i first though =/ problems with when you down tune, you have to adjust the whammy springs or some s*** , i dont ****ing know dont really know if its worth it, but i want a whammy bar, just to get a good level of usage out of my Guitar ....

also read about an auto tuning system - Tronical Powertune Automatic Guitar Tuning System... apparently its whats in the Gibson Robot guitars, and i contemplated asking the luthier to do this in my guitar, with standard E, Eb, Drop D, Whole Step Down. on the 2 guitars i saw this on, it either had a fixed bridge or a Tune o matic, so i dont think i could use a Floyd Rose with it anyway. sure, i know an auto tuner system is kinda dumb and lazy, but it would be fricking awesome ultimately (me thinks )
Automatic guitar tuning system won't work when you alter the tuning of one string all the other strings will fall out of tune and then you'll need to re-balance your bridge. It's an annoying process but unfortunately shit happens.

Really though if you want a floyd rose then get it and if you really love to change tunings have a spare guitar for all your alternate tunings simply.
dont waste money on those stupid robot guitars man. it's a huge gimmick. just as stupid as all those new gibsons with all the cut outs or the inverted V.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
The various auto-tuning systems out there and ''robot guitars'' (Gibson Robots, Fender VG, etc) most certainly are not ''gimmicks'', however they are only useful to a limited number of people. They're one of those things that if you have to ask about them, you don't need them. If you were the sort of person that did need them, you wouldn't have to be asking about them.

As far as Floyds (or in fact a vibrato bride of any kind) and an auto tuning system goes, it won't work. Those systems can't adjust the spring tension in the back of the guitar so it won't be able to change tuning. Also, changing from E Standard to Eb Standard, Drop D and D Standard would require different set ups, different intonation and different string gauges if you wanted to keep string tension at optimum levels. It's hard enough on a hardtail Gibson Robot guitar (where it can re-tune, but you'll need to reset the intonation yourself and the string tension and action can still become unplayable when down tuning), let alone on a vibrato bridge which needs to be balanced against the string tension perfectly (or you'll never stay in tune).

The closest you will come is the Fender VG Strat which cheats by not actually down tuning the guitar, it just simulates the lower tunings. The problems with this is it does sound digital, it doesn't react to your playing quite right and if you want a Floyd bridge, the Fender's traditional vibrato isn't going to cut it for you.

That said, if up until now you've been using strictly hardtail guitars, I wouldn't recommend you get a Floyd bridge anyway. It's quite a different beast to play on and though it does offer you a few more options, it also takes away some (such as not being able to do unison bends; in fact manual bends of any kind are fairly gimped on a Floyd bridge). Certainly don't potentially waste a custom build by putting a Floyd on it; get a cheaper Floyd-equipped guitar (something like the ESP-LTD 400 series are decent enough for you to spend a few months with, see how you get on), and if you like it, then have your custom guitar with a Floyd. Otherwise, go with a hardtail.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The various auto-tuning systems out there and ''robot guitars'' (Gibson Robots, Fender VG, etc) most certainly are not ''gimmicks'', however they are only useful to a limited number of people. They're one of those things that if you have to ask about them, you don't need them. If you were the sort of person that did need them, you wouldn't have to be asking about them.

As far as Floyds (or in fact a vibrato bride of any kind) and an auto tuning system goes, it won't work. Those systems can't adjust the spring tension in the back of the guitar so it won't be able to change tuning. Also, changing from E Standard to Eb Standard, Drop D and D Standard would require different set ups, different intonation and different string gauges if you wanted to keep string tension at optimum levels. It's hard enough on a hardtail Gibson Robot guitar (where it can re-tune, but you'll need to reset the intonation yourself and the string tension and action can still become unplayable when down tuning), let alone on a vibrato bridge which needs to be balanced against the string tension perfectly (or you'll never stay in tune).

The closest you will come is the Fender VG Strat which cheats by not actually down tuning the guitar, it just simulates the lower tunings. The problems with this is it does sound digital, it doesn't react to your playing quite right and if you want a Floyd bridge, the Fender's traditional vibrato isn't going to cut it for you.

That said, if up until now you've been using strictly hardtail guitars, I wouldn't recommend you get a Floyd bridge anyway. It's quite a different beast to play on and though it does offer you a few more options, it also takes away some (such as not being able to do unison bends; in fact manual bends of any kind are fairly gimped on a Floyd bridge). Certainly don't potentially waste a custom build by putting a Floyd on it; get a cheaper Floyd-equipped guitar (something like the ESP-LTD 400 series are decent enough for you to spend a few months with, see how you get on), and if you like it, then have your custom guitar with a Floyd. Otherwise, go with a hardtail.

they are gimmicks. they aren't top notch gibsons. they are standards with a stupid system to auto tune. if youre a gigging musician and play different tunings, chances are you have the other guitars. the guitar randomly freaking out and winding the string till it breaks sounds like a real treat to be playing live with. it's a gimmick. it's usefulness is very limited and even then it's still pointless. i guess im just not lazy and rather own multiple guitars. it cant restring itself when a string breaks, so i see it pointless.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
they are gimmicks. they aren't top notch gibsons. they are standards with a stupid system to auto tune. if youre a gigging musician and play different tunings, chances are you have the other guitars. the guitar randomly freaking out and winding the string till it breaks sounds like a real treat to be playing live with. it's a gimmick. it's usefulness is very limited and even then it's still pointless. i guess im just not lazy and rather own multiple guitars. it cant restring itself when a string breaks, so i see it pointless.
Firstly, they're not Standards, they're Studios and Specials*. Secondly, not everyone can afford to bugger off to change guitar. Especially if you have a strict schedule, changing guitars isn't always possible. Not to mention it's a pain in the arse to get the same tone out of different guitars with different tunings; with the Robot and VG systems you keep the same feel, the same tone and you don't have to leave the stage for a second; nothing else can do that for you.

That said, there is not one single person who uses U-G who would get any use out of a Robot system or other such similar system. If you're sat on a forum talking about guitars you're obviously not touring much playing the sorts of shows that necessitate an auto tuning guitar. I also wouldn't expect many of you to see the vlaue in them as the vast majority of people on here have never (and will never) come even remotely close to playing the sorts of shows that would let you benefit from a guitar like that. Also because you're mostly unbelievably ****ing ignorant and thick.

*Which is, I think, is their biggest problem; nobody who needs to change tunings that quickly in a live situation would be happy with the quality of Studio and Special models.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Firstly, they're not Standards, they're Studios and Specials*. Secondly, not everyone can afford to bugger off to change guitar. Especially if you have a strict schedule, changing guitars isn't always possible. Not to mention it's a pain in the arse to get the same tone out of different guitars with different tunings; with the Robot and VG systems you keep the same feel, the same tone and you don't have to leave the stage for a second; nothing else can do that for you.

That said, there is not one single person who uses U-G who would get any use out of a Robot system or other such similar system. If you're sat on a forum talking about guitars you're obviously not touring much playing the sorts of shows that necessitate an auto tuning guitar. I also wouldn't expect many of you to see the vlaue in them as the vast majority of people on here have never (and will never) come even remotely close to playing the sorts of shows that would let you benefit from a guitar like that. Also because you're mostly unbelievably ****ing ignorant and thick.

*Which is, I think, is their biggest problem; nobody who needs to change tunings that quickly in a live situation would be happy with the quality of Studio and Special models.

im not ignorant at all. just because i dont agree with the shit you say doesnt make me ignorant. i have different guitars not to have the same tone. i like to alter shit. so in no way am i being ignorant. it doesn't take that long to change a guitar and it's surely not hard to have a stand with guitars off to the side or really close to you. ive seen it done. it's not that hard nor time consuming. it's a gimmick. till it's on a super nice guitar and is more reliable than present ill stick with what i said. you cant knock me for what i like to play. that makes you ignorant. you'll need back ups no matter what. if a string breaks you cant change it on the spot. that would actually be time consuming. if youre super pressed for time with your set obviously you have to plan accordingly. it's common sense. also, i dont have guitars mainly for different tunings. some are for different tones. different pick up configurations and so on. no matter what that guitar is a waste until they step it up and make it more reliable.

im in no way saying the idea is bad. i should have stated that earlier, but what they are putting out now is more gimmick than practical. like i stated before, when you have a guitar that wigs out and breaks strings when it's just hanging on the wall, i dont call that a practical guitar. it's ****ing dumb.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Last edited by Crohny at Nov 27, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble

I don't know man the Robot guitar to me seems more suited for those who play small gigs where restrictions apply with the amount of shit you can carry which I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few UG users who do have gigs like these every fortnight or so, I mean I wouldn't expect to many professional touring musician to find much use out of the Robot guitar if they can bring more then 2 guitars to a gig and can have amps that can go up to 11.
okaaaay so my idea at trying to get advice on a Floyd Rose based guitar has turned into "Handbags at 10 paces" so lets move on ....

basically my issue is i have never used a whammy bar before and i think it would be interesting to expand my playing with it... but im concerned because i have never used that sorta bridge, and heard there is more to it than a simple Tune O Matic style =/ thats my problem - like should i get the Tremolo, and just learn my way around any problems i may have - more knowledge the better supposedly.... or stick with what i know, and ignore the idea of dive-bombs and whammy bar-less effort at Knights Of Cydonia coz its too much of a pain in the ass =P lol
Quote by KingHenrik1967
okaaaay so my idea at trying to get advice on a Floyd Rose based guitar has turned into "Handbags at 10 paces" so lets move on ....

basically my issue is i have never used a whammy bar before and i think it would be interesting to expand my playing with it... but im concerned because i have never used that sorta bridge, and heard there is more to it than a simple Tune O Matic style =/ thats my problem - like should i get the Tremolo, and just learn my way around any problems i may have - more knowledge the better supposedly.... or stick with what i know, and ignore the idea of dive-bombs and whammy bar-less effort at Knights Of Cydonia coz its too much of a pain in the ass =P lol

floyds are fun. there is no denying that. i have a NJ warlock with a floyd and it's a blast. it adds a whole new level to your playing. there are a lot of fun things to do with a floyd. pinch harmonics can be taken to a whole new level. it's pretty endless really. as far as settign them up, yeah thats a bitch and a half. i know how to do it, but it's just so finicky for me that i really hate doing it. i'm sure im doing some unnecessary shit and their are easier ways to do shit, but oh well. deff get it set up by a guitar tech the first few times. changing strings becomes a task and shit. it's weird, but i feel its worth it. just have to pay extra attention to your guitar with a floyd.

if you are interested in trying it out go for it. i mean it's a good chunk of change youll spend but if you end up liking it then it's worth it in my book. if not sell it and get something else. you'll loose money unless you can find a really nice person willing to pay the brand new cost for used, but i wouldnt count on it haha.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by KingHenrik1967
like should i get the Tremolo, and just learn my way around any problems i may have - more knowledge the better supposedly.... or stick with what i know
Give it a try but not on this custom build of yours. Get something average (as I said before, an ESP-LTD 400/401 series is ideal, or even the 256 range) to see if you do actually get much use out of the Floyd. Personally, when I started playing guitar I thought I wanted a Floyd, all my favourite guitarists at the time used one - I ended up learning on a hardtail instead, spent several years without touching vibrato bridges, and when I finally got around to trying a Floyd I personally found it to be a terrible experience. It's almost like playing a different instrument, to me at least. Even my Strat style vibratos I now keep locked and blocked (effectively making them hardtail too). I have no doubt if you really wanted to you could force yourself to get on with a Floyd, but I don't see much point in forcing yourself into a new playing style just for the sake of it. By all means give it a go, but I'd be surprised if you stick with it. I rarely come across Floyd users who have changed to hardtails and I have never come across any hardtail user who's changed to using Floyds.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Automatic guitar tuning system won't work when you alter the tuning of one string all the other strings will fall out of tune and then you'll need to re-balance your bridge. It's an annoying process but unfortunately shit happens.

Really though if you want a floyd rose then get it and if you really love to change tunings have a spare guitar for all your alternate tunings simply.

Instead of balancing the springs under the floyd rose
All you need to do is tune the low e string move to the next than move back to the low e, than to the next, than to the next
Than back to the low e
Just keep doing that until it's tuned all of the way up, tighten the locking nits, than do it again with the fine tuners down the bottom of the strings,
It takes a while but it worth it for the whammy bar
Quote by Shadowbutt7
Instead of balancing the springs under the floyd rose
All you need to do is tune the low e string move to the next than move back to the low e, than to the next, than to the next
Than back to the low e
Just keep doing that until it's tuned all of the way up, tighten the locking nits, than do it again with the fine tuners down the bottom of the strings,
It takes a while but it worth it for the whammy bar
First, nice necro of a 7 year old thread.

Second, your post is full of nope. If you tune down, this happens

And it throws off intonation, plays horribly even if you ignore that.

Changing tuning on a double locking trem system invariably means balancing the springs, unless you're happy with your guitar playing like it was built by a blind, retarded monkey.
Quote by Crohny
dont waste money on those stupid robot guitars man. it's a huge gimmick. just as stupid as all those new gibsons with all the cut outs or the inverted V.

+1
I've heard bad things about the robots. Nice idea but I don't think the tech is quite up to snuff
You can always buy the robot tuners for your existing guitar.. Topical makes them.. if I'm not mistaken.. it's physically tunes the strings to the desired tuning.

I have Peavey AT200 Antares powered auto-tune electric guitar, which uses software to tune the strings, string tune (perfect intonation on entire neck) and access different model pickups..

Another brand that uses software tuning and modeling is Variax, but is requires the string be in tune.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.