I'm seriously considering getting a bass soon, rather than a start/Corvin bolt later down the road.

Never gigging, or playing with others.

Playing RHCP almost exclusively (80s-mid90s funk/slap stuff)
Rage/Audioslave, and GnR is a plus, but infinitesimally less important than the RHCP stuff
LOVE the super punchy tone from the Mother's Milk album, and live during the OHM tour.

Budget is around $300 (for the bass)

Do I want something with single coils or humbuckers? Should I go look at the ~$300 Ibanezs/Yamahas in addition to the Squier VM Jbass?

Also, what size speaker do you recommend?
Hmmm, with $300, look at Ibanez's (the GSR200 and SR300), and Yamaha's as well. Also, Peavey Millenniums would probably be worth checking out.

For the amp, what do you have to spend?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
The VM Squier Jazz Bass is probably the best bass I've played at that price range. I've had it for a little bit over a year now, and I love it. It's very versatile. I've also found (as my technique improved) that it works quite nicely for slapping and popping.
Take a look at the Ibanez SR300, a great relatively inexpensive bass, but your best bet is to get to a music store if you can and grab every bass in your price range and go with the one that is the most comfortable in your hands

as far as pickup config, Flea from RHCP plays on Modulus basses with single humbuckers, Tim commerford from RATM plays on Fender Jazzes and Laklands with single coils, but just go with what ever sounds best to you
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Fender Jazz V
Yahama Pacifica 112
Acoustic B200h
2 custom 1x15 cabs
Vox AD30VT
too many pedals
Last edited by BamaBlues at Nov 26, 2009,
K thanks guys.

Quote by Tostitos
Hmmm, with $300, look at Ibanez's (the GSR200 and SR300), and Yamaha's as well. Also, Peavey Millenniums would probably be worth checking out.

For the amp, what do you have to spend?

Amp will probably not be bought until Xmas/after. Looking at Acoustic amps ATM, just need a small but decent one for my apt.