Hey Guys,

Im going to be geting a new guitar soon and the body is made of mohogany. Now the problem is that I play in D-C Standard, and I'v heard mohogany is to heavy for drop tunings.....

But I do like my sound to have alot of bass and treble...no mid. Could this be a good or bad thing?
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
There wont be an issue.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Sweet.....would it it make a more bassier tones?
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by King of King V
Sweet.....would it it make a more bassier tones?

depends on the guitar you get. thicknesss of the body and all that will play into it. it wont be enough that youd not want it. i play all mahogany guitars pretty much and i like them. i metal, stoner metal, blues and so on. i havent had a problem with anything i decide to play. just **** with tone knobs and volume knobs and try the guitars out on the same amp you own or an amp thats close to what you have. people say thatll help you decide. i can honestly play on any amp and know if ill like a guitar or not. not hard to tell if the tone is good or not on a really nice amp.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Nov 26, 2009,
Mahogany will always have a deeper, thicker tone than a balanced wood like alder or a bright wood like ash. The fact you're tuning lower just exaggerates this as either your strings will be looser than usual which means the highest frequencies won't come out so clearly (seemingly making the tone thicker) or you'll be using thicker strings (which produce louder lower frequencies, also making the tone sound thicker).

So yes, when you down tune you'll always end up with a deeper tone (aside from the fact you're playing lower notes, obviously) and mahogany is a deeper-toned wood than others. There's no such thing as a wood being ''too'' thick/dark/bright/thin for any type of playing, it's just down to personal preference.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Im ganna be getting a Esp V-401 and im playing it through a b_52 At-100 with 8 bass 4 mid and 8 treble. I play like down tuned thrash and I want more bass chug....
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by MrFlibble
Mahogany will always have a deeper, thicker tone than a balanced wood like alder or a bright wood like ash. The fact you're tuning lower just exaggerates this as either your strings will be looser than usual which means the highest frequencies won't come out so clearly (seemingly making the tone thicker) or you'll be using thicker strings (which produce louder lower frequencies, also making the tone sound thicker).

So yes, when you down tune you'll always end up with a deeper tone (aside from the fact you're playing lower notes, obviously) and mahogany is a deeper-toned wood than others. There's no such thing as a wood being ''too'' thick/dark/bright/thin for any type of playing, it's just down to personal preference.

he is spot on. kind told it in a way thta might scare him from getting mahogany haha. best bet it to try a bunch of different guitars out and see what one you like. it cant get any simpler than that
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by King of King V
Im ganna be getting a Esp V-401 and im playing it through a b_52 At-100 with 8 bass 4 mid and 8 treble. I play like down tuned thrash and I want more bass chug....

then mahogany is the way to go. even with a lot of mids mahogany sounds great. i use a lot of mid and treble, plus a lot of bass.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by MrFlibble

And Im asking because someone said its to heavy and wont come out very nice if you de tune on mohogany.

Edit:This is turning out even more sweeter then I thought.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by King of King V
And Im asking because someone said its to heavy and wont come out very nice if you de tune on mohogany.

Edit:This is turning out even more sweeter then I thought.

whoever told you that hates you probably haha. i play C stadard on my epi G-400. strings are d addario ej22 jazz strings. .12-.56. sounds great. wanna do a pick up change, but they are cheap versions of gibson pick ups so thats understandable.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
If by "won't come out very nice" they mean it will sound muddy or booming, that has more to do with your amp and pickups than the guitar. Booming bass can be fixed by changing amp speakers or rolling back the bass a bit on your amp; muddy tones can be fixed by EQing your amp properly, rolling back the gain a little (everyone always uses more gain than they need), or lowering your pickups. Mahogany isn't any different to limba, basswood, alder or ash when it comes to these sorts of things. If your amp sucks, your speakers suck, your pickups are too high and you've not set your EQ properly then you'll most certainly get a muddy, poorly defined tone, regardless of what your guitar is or what tuning you use.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Crohny
whoever told you that hates you probably haha. i play C stadard on my epi G-400. strings are d addario ej22 jazz strings. .12-.56. sounds great. wanna do a pick up change, but they are cheap versions of gibson pick ups so thats understandable.

The person was on ug....figures....
They were talking about the Alexi sig, Thats its alder because mohagany is to heavy for down tuned metal and stuff.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by King of King V
The person was on ug....figures....
They were talking about the Alexi sig, Thats its alder because mohagany is to heavy for down tuned metal and stuff.

no guitar is really a one trick pony. so anyone that tells you that you cant do something with a guitar is lying to you. some stuff it wont sound good at all on but doesnt mean you still cant try. haha. i could take a b.b. king sig gibson custom and play metal on it if i wanted. how itd sound i dunno. i would like to find out one day though.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by King of King V
I do like my sound to have alot of bass and treble...no mid. Could this be a good or bad thing?

Bad thing.
Mids are your friend.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Bad thing.
Mids are your friend.

i agree, but if you like thrash kinda have to kick the mids aside.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
No. The last thing you do is reduce your mids. You want a heavily scooped sound? Then really whack up your bass and treble and leave your mids at their average level. By all means, boost and cut your treble, boost and cut your bass, but only ever boost your mids - never, ever cut it. Losing your mids just results in terrible definition. It's your mids that define your playing, much more than your bass or treble does.
Quote by Crohny
i agree, but if you like thrash kinda have to kick the mids aside.

You mean like Slayer? Who crank the hell out of the mids.

There's two type of players with scooped mids, those with really mid-voiced pickups, in really mid voiced guitars, with really mid voiced amps who do it to control what would otherwise be overkill, or newbs who don't get the first reason is why their heroes do it, and who's tone is like a can of bees.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
You mean like Slayer? Who crank the hell out of the mids.

There's two type of players with scooped mids, those with really mid-voiced pickups, in really mid voiced guitars, with really mid voiced amps who do it to control what would otherwise be overkill, or newbs who don't get the first reason is why their heroes do it, and who's tone is like a can of bees.

i didnt mean cut them out completely.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT