Helloo everyone and welcome to another thread about the ever popular Epiphone Valve Junior half stack. So i recently purchased one(woo hoo!! ) with intents of modding. Now we all know that it is simple, it only has a volume knob. I have two other small amps, an old fender champ(no overdrive) and a shitty marshall mg10(very shitty). What im getting at is can i gut out the EQ electronics and wire them into my Valve Junior to give it tone controls? If so, what kind of tools would i need, and how in the hell would i wire it all together? Any and all input is appreciated(EXCEPT for stupid smartass comments). Thanks all for the help
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
You could just buy something like a BOSS EQ pedal and put it in front of your amp.
check out the VJ modding thread for modding advice and ideas (although the thread is kinda old.. so a few of the links don't work anymore)

what kind of champ do you have?
..one with the treble and bass controls? cause (iirc), the modern ones dont even have a tone control..just volume.

whatever kind you've got, the tone stack isnt always just interchangeable, if thats what you were hoping..
I'd say you're better off leaving the champ as-is, and putting in a single knob tone control of some kind, over a 2 or 3-knob tone stack in the vj..
a tweed-style control is pretty popular, but there are some others out there, too

I've got a couple single-knob control layouts favourited on my laptop at home, but I'm at work right now, so I can't send the links, or remember what they were named..
but try googling for a tweed-style tone control in a VJ..you're bound to find other tone controls by doing that.

but anyway, yeah, check out the VJ resource thread. and if you're asking how you should wire it all together, that might be a sign that you should do a bit more research before diving into a tube amp.

if you feel confident enough, a good place to start with mods is by using this chart. I have no idea what kind of sound you're going for, but if you want fender-y, do the fender style mods, you want marshall, do the marshally mods, ect.

that'll get you closer to the sound you want, and from there you can do more fine tweaking

what kind of tone are you hoping to get out of it, anyway?

edit: and if you dont like the champ you've got, are you planning on getting rid of it?
..cause I could always use another low wattage tube amp to tinker with >.>
Last edited by james4 at Nov 27, 2009,
Quote by james4
check out the VJ modding thread for modding advice and ideas (although the thread is kinda old.. so a few of the links don't work anymore)

what kind of champ do you have?
..one with the treble and bass controls? cause (iirc), the modern ones dont even have a tone control..just volume.

whatever kind you've got, the tone stack isnt always just interchangeable, if thats what you were hoping..
I'd say you're better off leaving the champ as-is, and putting in a single knob tone control of some kind, over a 2 or 3-knob tone stack in the vj..
a tweed-style control is pretty popular, but there are some others out there, too

I've got a couple single-knob control layouts favourited on my laptop at home, but I'm at work right now, so I can't send the links, or remember what they were named..
but try googling for a tweed-style tone control in a VJ..you're bound to find other tone controls by doing that.

but anyway, yeah, check out the VJ resource thread. and if you're asking how you should wire it all together, that might be a sign that you should do a bit more research before diving into a tube amp.

if you feel confident enough, a good place to start with mods is by using this chart. I have no idea what kind of sound you're going for, but if you want fender-y, do the fender style mods, you want marshall, do the marshally mods, ect.

that'll get you closer to the sound you want, and from there you can do more fine tweaking

what kind of tone are you hoping to get out of it, anyway?

edit: and if you dont like the champ you've got, are you planning on getting rid of it?
..cause I could always use another low wattage tube amp to tinker with >.>

Ah why yes i am looking to get rid of it! hahaha would you be willing to trade/buy it? Because i need a higher wattage amp because i just joined a band and im looking to change up my sound through the VJ and another amp. So if youre willing to buy/trade im sure we could work something out
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.