Poll: Which one should i buy?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one should i buy?
Ibanez GRG170DX
14 67%
Affinity Strat
0 0%
Affinity Fat Strat
2 10%
Squier Standard Strat
1 5%
Pacifica 012
4 19%
Voters: 21.
I'm thinking of getting into guitar and i don't really have much of an idea what to chose, i do have a basic idea of what a humbucker and single coil pickups are and stuff like that but not much past that.

I'm thinking of spending around ~$400, I'm mainly into metal (Metallica, Lordi, Amon Amarth) and rock (Rammstein and softer stuff like pink floyd) but i have a drummer friend and a couple of people who can sing so i might end up having to play anything really...

Anyway i checked out a local music shop and found all the guitars around $400

Ibanez GRG170DX

Yamaha PAC012 Pacifica

Squier Affinity Strat

Squier Affinity *Fat* Strat

Squier *Standard* Strat

I'm leaning towards the grg170dx myself but any suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers, kingpomba
Last edited by kingpomba at Nov 27, 2009,
i voted yamaha because i have found a few of those models that were actually pretty decent players. the Ibanez models are decent as well

But the key when searching for a low priced guitar is to find the one that plays the best, because QC is inconsistent. You might find 1 great player in about 10 that play like crap.

So with whatever you choose, search high and low until you find one that plays well
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Schecter C-1+
Squier '51 (blonde with black pickguard)
Fender Super Champ XD
I'd go for the fat strat myself, versatile little bugger. I got one as my first guitar (granted it wasn't affinity), but it suited me for many a year...

You think aus is expensive? Try over the ditch in NZ :p

Mah Gear
Jackson DK2M -- Washburn X50 ProQ -- Epihone Les Paul Standard
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Quote by LiquidFear
maybe at ESP LTD MH-50, goes for about $450

Problem is its like 600-700 in Australia... i can always dream though
Another option is to order from the US. You can sometimes save up to 50% in some cases. You could get an Ibanez rg321 for around $400 AUD including shipping.

I just bought a Charvel Socal for $1225 AUD from the US including shipping, and it costs $1895 AUD to buy it in Australia.

Ofcourse, you don't get to try out the particular guitar you are buying so it's always a gamble since you may get a dud, and it would be hard to return (return shipping fees etc).

EDIT: I also bought a schecter classic for $700 AUD from the US, and it costs $1800 AUD to buy one here.
Last edited by robert_says at Nov 27, 2009,
Ibanez RGs tend to be nice and easy to play, but I can't vouch for Gios. Pacificas are rather well made entry-level guitars as well.
Quote by kingpomba
Problem is its like 600-700 in Australia... i can always dream though

$600-$700!?

i bought mine for $450 the other day in Adelaide
Quote by LiquidFear
$600-$700!?

i bought mine for $450 the other day in Adelaide

Oh yeah sorry man.... i just kind of assumed you were american at first... between then and now ive seen that guitar...i eliminated the other choices..now i got some other ones lol... didnt get any easier... i feel another thread comming on
Last edited by kingpomba at Nov 28, 2009,