Page 1 of 2
so while taking a late night poop I came up (I doubt I'm the first one)with maybeee one of the coolest ideas I've had in my life.
Chalkboard paint guitar......just embrace it, let the idea sink in.....there we go.

I know the chalk would rub off during playing but the green (or black) still isnt so bad?
plus it'd be wickedddddddd coool just to draw different s*ht on your guitar everyday.

I'm doing a matt bellamy style tele and I wanted something different to match the guitar but also not chrome or like any other manson he's got.

so yay? or nay?

ps: this is the link to the paint. http://www.krylon.com/products/chalkboard_paint/
I could teach math while I play, write lyrics down so I don't forget them whilst playing, write hateful messages to the crowd. A whole MESS OF OPPORTUNITIES!!!
I've been planning to do this, just, no money.
Seeing as I'm sort of, got Negative moneys right now...

It does work. Seen it done(and suggested) quite a bit.
..I was watching my death.
awwwww man just made me so much more pumped!
Its either chalk or chrome, and I just don't know which to choose.

edit: +1 for canada!
Last edited by Steve46 at Nov 27, 2009,
why do you always sound like you're selling everything you ask about?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Steve46
edit: +1 for canada!

+2 ^_~

And yay for the idea. Sounds pretty kickass.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by the humanity
why do you always sound like you're selling everything you ask about?

Maybe he's a traveling sheet salesman! And if people don't buy his sheets, he burns a cross in their front yard

Or maybe you just hate him
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
travislauch- thanks for the support bro!

and I have only burned a cross in someones yard once.........
Quote by Shinozoku
Maybe he's a traveling sheet salesman! And if people don't buy his sheets, he burns a cross in their front yard

Come on, give him a break, it's Black Friday!
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Sounds like you're a really damn good sheet salesman

Do a green-to-black chalkboard sunburst.
Quote by travislausch
Come on, give him a break, it's Black Friday!

Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku

Or maybe you just hate him

maybe it's just me.

anyways, I think it could be really cool, especially if you start a show with a completely chalked guitar and every time you strum or whatever, a bit of chalk is rubbed off.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Shinozuku- I think that idea just made me want to change my pants. you are a great man!!

thanks for the support the humanity!
Or you could paint it dry-erase white. Perhaps that's not old school enuff tho? If you did it white, you could get one of those cell phone-sized projecters, mount it on a boom and project whatever you want on it. One of these days you'll be able to get sheets of flexible, trimable, LED-illuminated LCD and get the same effect without the appendage. Add touch-screen functionality & you could do the dry erase thing on it and capture it onto a computer--or an iPhone. While you're at, it, why not put that iPhone where your pups are now and use its mike for a pup?

JK
Quote by Shinozoku

Dude... That would be so amazing!
You have just now inspired me.
Now, I be needing a band-saw, or 170 bucks to buy a kit off of GFS, or I suppose 60 bucks to buy a guitar from a pawn shop...
Hmm, the choices.
Quote by Shinozoku
Sounds like you're a really damn good sheet salesman

Yeah, burst and then use dry erase-white for binding. You could simulate abalone or MOP with dry erase marker and change it whenever you want.
Oh good goddddddd these ideas are blowing my brainnnnn with awesomenessssss!
I'm thinking a green/black sunburst is the way to go! that sounds sickkkkkk
Quote by jetwash69
Yeah, burst and then use dry erase-white for binding. You could simulate abalone or MOP with dry erase marker and change it whenever you want.

What are talking about "Dry-Erase"?
Are you reffering to whiteboards perhaps?
yea, whiteboard stuff. I just looked it up, it looks pretty cool but dry erase boards tend to get dirty and gross after a while? with stuff that doesn't come off? I dunno, maybe its just my lame schools who don't clean their boards properly ...
Quote by timbit2006
What are talking about "Dry-Erase"?
Are you reffering to whiteboards perhaps?

I guess so.
Quote by Steve46
yea, whiteboard stuff. I just looked it up, it looks pretty cool but dry erase boards tend to get dirty and gross after a while? with stuff that doesn't come off? I dunno, maybe its just my lame schools who don't clean their boards properly ...

if you made it a screw on top, you could replace it.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

and you could keep some of your old tops to frame!!!
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

ahahah oh mannn that would toooooo effing coool. but I'm afraid far beyond by level of comprehension, best left to the pros me thinks! siiiiiick idea though man!!
Green-to-black burst chalkboard guitar sounds like an incredible idea and i think im going to steal it if i ever build my guitar.
Feel free!! I'd love to see someone actually do a good job ahaha
thats what I'll be doing fo sho!! but I think I'm going to try a black to green burst
2 colors shouldn't be too hard comparatively.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

yea, its just that It'll be my first time tackling a burst. I've only done stuff with solid colors.
oh btw, do you think the pickguard will be a big problem? I've read alot of stuff about using krylon plastic paint butt.... I still want it to be "chalk" think the pickguard will still be cool
chalk-a-fied?
holy poop. the guy with the black-green chalkboard burst idea is a genious. on top of that, the dry-erase board binding is effin awesome! now you just need cap-eraser tuning keys and an apple inlay at the 12th fret and you have the perfect gift for the guitar playing teacher
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
ahahahahahaha @ the teacher guitar.
When I do this, my guitar will probablyyyyy be covered in penis's half of the time..... I'm not proud of this but thats life with me and my friends..
Quote by Steve46
how good do you think the paint would stick to the pickguard?

Prolly won't stick to plastic; try and see. You can always make a pickguard out of wood or Formica. The paint should stick fine to either.

I made a control plate out of Formica for Sustainiac switches. Had to sand it down a lot to get rid of the texture on the surface, but then painted/sanded a couple of times with Krylon, and you have to look close to see that it's not plastic like the factory control covers on that Schecter.
Quote by Steve46
how good do you think the paint would stick to the pickguard?

The stuff has stuck to everything I've sprayed it on. My local dollar store had it on sale for a big for a huge spray can, so I got like 10 of them. Needless to say, I have half a wall done and the other half to do still. lol. Its fun though, people sign it and right stuff on it when they stop by. Owning your home is fun. lol.

I did spray some on an old PS2 case I had laying around and it stuck to plastic fine. If you're going to do the whole guitar, I'd suggest to prime it good first and then lots and lots of thin coats of the chalkboard paint. The more coats, the better the stuff works.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by Steve46
excellent idea sir!! I shall start looking for a wood pickguard!

Is the guard going to follow the 'burst, or are you going to make it all black? You could also do the guard in a white board/dry erase, too. Same for the trem cover (assuming it'll have a trem)
ohhhhh yeaaa??? I'm so glad you came along! GeToChKn! having to pay $50 for a wooden pickguard was depressing. I'll take your word on it!! thanks alot!!
**sorry for double post***
jetwash69- yeap the guard will follow the burst! but the white board idea is siick!!!
Page 1 of 2