Hello!
I wanted to know what shape is more comfortable while sitting, standing and witch one offers more sustain: The V shape or the kelly(explorer) shape?
what kinda V are we talking about here?

there are several forms, the Offset V (RR V), a Flying V, Reverse V (although I'm pretty sure you aren't talking about that one).

I've got both an Explorer shape and een Offset V. For me sitting down is more comfortable with the Explorer. Not that the V is uncomfortable, it should work fine in the classical position.

now for the standing part. not mucht difference here, the distance between the bridge and the top of the guitar are more or less the same. As for the shape, both feel good.

Still, everybody is different, you might like a V more. Go try em out at a store near you
Main gear:
'06 ESP Truckster
Diezel VH4S with Diezel 412F Cab
Last edited by Major Insane at Nov 27, 2009,
Lol.

I find the V shape more comfortable than the Jackson Kelly shape, also when sitting with a V you end up having the neck point slightly upwards, which I find really comfortable.

The V is also better for playing leads when standing, there's nothing to get in the way of your hand.

(That's from my experience playing Megadeth kinda stuff, which I imagine you'll be playing a lot of)

(You wont notice much difference in the sustain, a V/Jackson Kelly have relatively the same surface area I guess)

Quote by Telecaster7
I can tell you right now, a V will not work while sitting, so the Explorer wins that round.

As for standing... i don't really know.

I can tell you right now that a flying V will work excellently when sitting down.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Nov 27, 2009,
Quote by Telecaster7
I can tell you right now, a V will not work while sitting, so the Explorer wins that round.

Never tried sitting with it in classical position? V's are wonderful to play while sitting down and actually I prefer them to a superstrat for sitting down. And we're going to need more information specifically what guitars they are down to the model name.
Quote by Major Insane
what kinda V are we talking about here?

there are several forms, the Offset V (RR V), a Flying V, Reverse V (although I'm pretty sure you aren't talking about that one).

I've got both an Explorer shape and een Offset V. For me sitting down is more comfortable with the Explorer. Not that the V is uncomfortable, it should work fine in the classical position.

now for the standing part. not mucht difference here, the distance between the bridge and the top of the guitar are more or less the same. As for the shape, both feel good.

Still, everybody is different, you might like a V more. Go try em out at a store near you

I am talking about the king V for example, or Dean VMNT Dave Mustaine Signature
Ive had a V for a while and i play my mates KE-2 sometimes on stage and i can say that the Kelly is all round more comfy.

The shape of the V's means you always have to sit classical position on the edge of a chair. You cant sit back on your bed or in an armless lazy boy style chair, which is fricken annoying when u just feel like chillin' out

also the Kelly's have a better weight ratio compared to the V.

and the cutaway on the Kelly is massive so u wont have any problems with soloing.... i dont
Quote by TheBackHouse
Ive had a V for a while and i play my mates KE-2 sometimes on stage and i can say that the Kelly is all round more comfy.

The shape of the V's means you always have to sit classical position on the edge of a chair. You cant sit back on your bed or in an armless lazy boy style chair, which is fricken annoying when u just feel like chillin' out

also the Kelly's have a better weight ratio compared to the V.

and the cutaway on the Kelly is massive so u wont have any problems with soloing.... i dont

You're right about that. The V shape is insanely awesome but unconfy while lazy or while sitting on the chair. I'm not used to the classical position I always hold the guitar(strat-like) on my right leg while sitting
ok so a pointy V is what ur after
classical should off course work.

but why not stand up while playing? I rarely sit while playing.

still trying some guitars will be your best bet on gaining knowledge of the comfort
Main gear:
'06 ESP Truckster
Diezel VH4S with Diezel 412F Cab
I'm sorry but I do not own a V-shaped guitar, but it's a good ideea to try some V's at my local shop. But I think I will get a V next time, no matter the comfort. I just love the way they look
Quote by Telecaster7

I play all three of mine sitting. I find them more comfortable sitting then a normal shaped guitar.

Maybe your just broken?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
if your talking about a Dean V then if you'll be fine sitting down in classical if you want because the horns are nice and big to keep between ya legs.

As i said before theyre impossible when sitting in a chair (not on a chair) and i dont like they way the big king v's sit when standing.

Offset V's are alot more comfortable standing but are a pain in the arse too sit with becuase they don't have a big lower horn for the classical pozzy.

If you play live the King V looks super badass and everyone will think your teh br00talz