Fellow UGers,

Let's get straight to it.

Budget: I WILL HAVE 2 UNCONFIRMED BUDGETS (because my parents have yet to tell me how much they are going to allow me to spend)- $500 and ~$800. If possible, try to suggest amps in BOTH price ranges

Gigging: Yes, ocassionally, but high-wattage is not what I'm after. I can mic it up if needed. I gig maybe several times a year at school. I'd say they are small-sized gigs...and since the word 'small' can't really be quantified I'll say anywhere from 100-1000 people.

Used: I wouldn't mind at all but the used market here in Hong Kong is pretty non-existent. Just ask other Asian UGers.

Guitar background: Been playing for only 10 months. However I'm heading off to college in a few years and will likely have to end or at least suppress my love of the guitar . So despite my short playing history, I still want a decent amp.

Musical styles: at the moment I'm really playing a lot of metal. All sorts of metal except death. Bands like Metallica, Trivium, Iron Maiden, Dio, Heaven & Hell, All That Remains, Killswitch Engage. I also play a lot of hard rock...think Van Halen. I plan to expand into other styles like blues and jazz so cleans are important. Think Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Johnson. I would like a nice overdriven sound too...the sort you get from placing an OD like a TS808 or TS9 in front of a clean tube amp. Think Guns N Roses, AC/DC, Jet, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana. I think you're getting the idea- I need a good deal of versatility. The only style of music I dislike is pop, punk, screamo...

I realize you're probably thinking...well that's just about EVERY single amp voicing there is! Just remember I don't need to NAIL these tones. The tones I'm emphasizing though are Metallica, Van Halen, GnR and KSE. So drive tones are a bit more important than the clean tones.

----------------------------------------------

These are the amps I have been already thinking about. I have marked with an asterisk (*) the amps that I cannot try because there are no official dealers in HK:

$500 range:

Blackstar HT-5*
Line 6 Flextone III Plus (take into account the price of the FBV Express)
Laney LC15
Laney VC15 w/ a boost perhaps
Randall G3 Plus RH150/300
B-52 AT112 *

$800 range:

Randall RG50TC
Bogner Alchemist 212 combo (i can get it here for $725 USD)
Hayden MoFo *
Mesa/Boogie F-30 * (hard to find)
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV (i know this is over my budget...but I've found a guy on my classifieds whos selling the MkIV head for about 1550 USD, plus a recto 4x12 cab with v30s for 580 USD. He is willing to sell both together for 2064 USD. Let me know if this is a good deal)
Laney GH50L
Line 6 Vetta II combo (also over my budget. it's about 1000 USD brand new...but if it's really worth it I'll go for it)
Line 6 HD147
Ampeg VH-140C *
Carvin X-100B*
Kustom Coupe 36*
Kustom Defender *
Bugera 333XL *
Bugera 6262 *
Peavey Classic 30 w/ boost
Peavey 5150 combo
Peavey 6505

Sorry for that long-ass post. Hope the typography made it easier to read . Thanks for any help that you can provide.

-HB

EDIT: Add these into the list!

Jet City JCA20H 299 USD
Orange Tiny Terror 1x12 combo 580 USD
Used Laney TT50 1x12 combo (discontinued version) 450 USD

What do you think, based on the info I've given above?
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Last edited by HellBoy9393 at Dec 7, 2009,
Well, looks like you've done your homework!

The lower gain amps like the C30 and the VCs, even with a boost, probably won't get you into ATR/KsE territory, others like the 5150, 6505 and various bugeras don't have the cleans you want (going off EJ and SRV).

Since you're pretty much going for every possible tone (by the looks of your list), i'd suggest the Vetta or Flextone, just for versatility. The Vetta also does sound pretty damn good, and you can play at low volumes at college

EDIT: The Bogner might also be worth a shot. The cleans were pretty good, but the drive didn't do much for me.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Last edited by Ratfish at Nov 27, 2009,
Quote by Ratfish
Well, looks like you've done your homework!

The lower gain amps like the C30 and the VCs, even with a boost, probably won't get you into ATR/KsE territory, others like the 5150, 6505 and various bugeras don't have the cleans you want (going off EJ and SRV).

Since you're pretty much going for every possible tone (by the looks of your list), i'd suggest the Vetta or Flextone, just for versatility. The Vetta also does sound pretty damn good, and you can play at low volumes at college

EDIT: The Bogner might also be worth a shot. The cleans were pretty good, but the drive didn't do much for me.

thanks for the reply

Also worth noting...I don't mind purchasing a distortion pedal or 2 to get my sounds. The only issue I have with buying an amp like the VC15, Classic 30 and say, the Blues Jr is that they aren't voiced for metal.

And I quite liked the Bogner Alchemist's drive. Then again, that's just about the only tube amp I've played which actually HAS a drive channel
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

I just noticed you had the MarkIV down. I'm not too sure about the price, since Australian prices are goddamn BS, but it's an AMAZING amp.

It'd suit you well i think. See if you can try it out - play around with the EQ a LOT before making a decision, boogies take a while.

Also, if you like the alchemist's drive, a boost i.e. TS9 in front will probably get you what you're after.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Quote by Ratfish
I just noticed you had the MarkIV down. I'm not too sure about the price, since Australian prices are goddamn BS, but it's an AMAZING amp.

It'd suit you well i think. See if you can try it out - play around with the EQ a LOT before making a decision, boogies take a while.

Also, if you like the alchemist's drive, a boost i.e. TS9 in front will probably get you what you're after.

I would love a Mark IV...but I think it's just too much for a relatively amateur guitar player like me.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Any other thoughts?

I really shouldn't have made such a long post. Most people probably wouldn't have bothered reading lol.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Id say the flextone or vetta, since you seem to want every kind of voicing.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I'd go with the MkIV if your parents let you go all out on your budget and if the guy still has the MkIV up for sale.

The MkIV is both tube and versatile... everything you'll need in an amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
News amp I've been considering:

Jet City JCA20H 299 USD
Orange Tiny Terror 1x12 combo 580 USD
Used Laney TT50 1x12 combo (discontinued version) 450 USD

Let me know what you think.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon