Hello, UG. I've been playing guitar for about 7 years and I play all kinds of from rock to shred to fusion jazz. But I'm a total noob when it comes to recording.

I need advice in choosing a guitar interface for recording onto my Mac. I have recently bought a MacBook Pro with an Intel Core II Duo Processor @ 2.66GHz and 4GB of memory. When I was on a PC I was using a Line 6 Tone Port UX1 and Acoustica Mixcraft. The Tone Port was okay but I'm looking for something better now.

Now that I'm on a Mac I'm planning on using Garage Band for the time being but eventually I'm sure I'll progress to Logic Express 9. But as for the interface I'm not so sure. I was looking at Native Instrument's Guitar Rig Session. I like how it includes the effects patches and the guitar interface in one bundle for a great price. Is it any good? I've also been eyeing Apogee's One, the Duet is a bit out of my price range. How is the One? Since it employs USB how is the latency? How's the sound quality? Also if I get the Apogee One what effects patches and sounds do you guys recommend?
My price range is at most $400 bucks for the whole setup.

Thanx!

-Tony
Hey there!

I haven't used the Guitar Rig session bundle, but I've tried the software and I think it's nice to play with, but I couldn't really get a decent sound out of it. Also, NI is more software oriented, so the interface might not be what you expect.

I'm using a M-Audio Fast Track Usb interface for my recordings. It's decent and low priced but there are some issues with the drivers (M-audio peeps don't seem really interested to get them up fast most of the time). But since you are on mac, you can check MOTU interfaces, I've heard great things about them.

Try googling "tweak's guide", a great guide for home studios and stuff..

Have fun recording!
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
I'm a Mac guy too - the APOGEE ONE is really getting great reviews in the APPLE Logic & Garageband forums - their stuff has amazing quality... I'd love a Duet but $500 is a bit steep - the ONE I'm sure would be nice to have.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Garage Band is great for a free Program. I mean...I personally am pro tools for life from here on out, but on a $500 budget, it's hard to do (unless you can find an MBox 2 used or something)
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Actually I sat down in a Barnes & Noble Bookstore about a year ago and skimmed through a book about Garageband (while I sucked down some of their strongassed coffee) - I was amazed at how much I DIDN'T KNOW about Garageband - there's a lot of hidden features in that program. On a Mac forum I listened to some recordings done with it and they were on par with professional demos...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!