Page 1 of 2
Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Child has been named the greatest guitar riff of all time, 41 years after it was recorded, in a poll by website Music Radar.

It beat Guns N' Roses song Sweet Child O' Mine, which came second in the poll.

Music Radar's editor, Mike Goldsmith, called Hendrix the "undisputed heavyweight champion of rock guitar".

Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love, Deep Purple's Smoke On The Water and Layla by Derek and the Dominos also featured in the top five.

Riffs from older songs seem to be more popular, as only two from the past decade made it into the top 20.

TOP FIVE ROCK RIFFS
1. Voodoo Child - Jimi Hendrix
2. Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
3. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
4. Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
5. Layla - Derek and the Dominos

They were Muse's Plug In Baby, at 11, and The White Stripes' grimy Seven Nation Army at 15.

"No surprise given both Bellamy and White share - or have inherited - Hendrix's unique blend of experimental instincts and white-knuckle showmanship," said Mr Goldsmith.

"Above all though, our poll seems to indicate one thing - in 2009 classic rock still rules."

The bone-crunching AC/DC classic Back In Black landed at number six, followed by Metallica's Enter Sandman and the chiming riff of The Beatles' Day Tripper at eight.

At number nine was Nirvana's four chord wonder Smells Like Teen Spirit, while The Rolling Stones' (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction rounded off the top 10.

Voodoo Child was recorded in 1968, and was re-released as a single after Hendrix's death in 1970, when it reached number one.

More than 5,000 readers of the Music Radar website took part in the poll.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8382171.stm
I think it's very good, it's a good choice. #2 on the list however...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Meh, who cares? Cool riff? Yeah. Best? Nah, I reckon even some of Jimi's other songs have better riffs, like The Wind Cries Mary and Little Wing.
Yea it's a very recognisable riff. When I was 8 or something I could hum the riff but I had no idea who the artist was or what the song was called.
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
What the ****ing **** does anyone see in sweet child o mine? It sucks ass, probably one of the cheesiest pieces of crap I have ever listened to.
Plug in baby should've been no 2.
Quote by ingames
What the ****ing **** does anyone see in sweet child o mine? It sucks ass, probably one of the cheesiest pieces of crap I have ever listened to.

Cheesy because it's been played to death? There's a reason it's in number two, which is because it's to bloody catchy.

Yeah right
i hate these lists because they are all filled with well known classic rock players. there are so many jazz, prog, and extreme metal riffs that kick the crap out of these. these type of things are always about who/what is best known, if anything.
Quote by chrisatgrace
where the hell is sweet home Alabama?

It's where the skies are so blue.

Where's neil young?
Quote by Kensai
It's where the skies are so blue.

Where's neil young?

Bel-air

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/717031/715c414f/dumpert_muziek.html
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
The world of Rock music needs to get over Hendrix already. Come on.

It's definitely a classic, though. And since these rankings are all a matter of opinion, I won't bother discussing this one.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Quote by Mister.Y

Wow, that is awesome

It really sounds like one of his songs, too.

Quote by Astyan
The world of Rock music needs to get over Hendrix already. Come on.

It's definitely a classic, though. And since these rankings are all a matter of opinion, I won't bother discussing this one.

Yeah, no one should listen to anything older than 1 year.
dragon attaaaack
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Kensai
Yeah, no one should listen to anything older than 1 year.

If you're being serious, that's taking things a bit too far and I don't agree.

If you're not (which is most probably the case), you're being uselessly sarcastic.

Voodoo Child is forty fucking one years old.
---

---
Quote by Astyan
If you're being serious, that's taking things a bit too far and I don't agree.

If you're not (which is most probably the case), you're being uselessly sarcastic.

Voodoo Child is forty fucking one years old.

I fail to see the relevance of age to the awesomeness of a riff. It's not like the awesomeness deteriorates over time.
Quote by Kensai
I fail to see the relevance of age to the awesomeness of a riff. It's not like the awesomeness deteriorates over time.

Yup, hence my comment directly below the part on Hendrix getting old.

It's not bad because it's old, people are bad for constantly placing it on top of all kind of rankings related to Rock music. Hello there, there have been classic masterpieces all over the place in 41 years, which doesn't contradict the fact that Voodoo Child is indeed a classic by the way.
---

---
Quote by Kensai

you have your rainbow back!

and +1 on the comment.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

It's a really awesome riff, so it's understandable it would win. Realistically the poll should have been for opening riffs, because that's what most of them are.
Where's "My Generation"? If you stopped people in the street everyone would know that riff
Quote by theogonia777
i hate these lists because they are all filled with well known classic rock players. there are so many jazz, prog, and extreme metal riffs that kick the crap out of these. these type of things are always about who/what is best known, if anything.

They're popular riffs that never get old. Not everyone listens to prog and metal or even Jazz, while I agree there are good riffs in those genres, it's a list of a widely listened to Genre.

I don't like number 2, as stated by the others, but Voodoo Child is such a great tune. The song it's self is fun to play and jam with other players who know it also. Doesn't matter if it came out last year, or 200 years ago.
Quote by ingames

Or maybe one of the best songs ever!!
As a big Deep Purple fan, I don't think Smoke On The Water is their best riff. Maybe I'm a leo or Speed King have better riffs, but they wouldn't be in the list for obvious reasons.

And where is Iron Man?
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Quote by Astyan
Yup, hence my comment directly below the part on Hendrix getting old.

It's not bad because it's old, people are bad for constantly placing it on top of all kind of rankings related to Rock music. Hello there, there have been classic masterpieces all over the place in 41 years, which doesn't contradict the fact that Voodoo Child is indeed a classic by the way.

The year is irrelevant.
There was just as much chance as him writing the "Best Riff Ever" than it being created in any other year in the past 40 (If you exclude influence as a factor).
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Last edited by Venice King at Nov 27, 2009,
Quote by Venice King
The year is irrelevant.
There was just as much chance as him writing the "Best Riff Ever" than it being created in any other year in the past 40 (If you exclude influence as a factor).

Thanks for repeating a part of my post.

I belong to people who think a tune can't stay an absolute reference for decades. Music evolves a lot. But my point isn't so much against the song than against Hendrix himself. The guy was a genius, right, but he has been followed by many equally talented musicians.
---

---
Last edited by Astyan at Nov 27, 2009,
Quote by Astyan
Thanks for repeating a part of my post.

You didn't really mean it, you criticize that there have been "better" riffs in the past 41 years, but realise that the best riff over the past 41 years might just been one made 41 years ago, it's really to do with chance and probability of one coming up rather than a natural progression which fits chronologically.

Quote by Astyan
I belong to people who think a tune can't stay an absolute reference for decades. Music evolves a lot. But my point isn't so much against the song than against Hendrix himself. The guy was a genius, right, but he has been followed by many equally talented musicians.

Classical pieces of music which were composed hundreds of years ago are still listened to. Time doesn't matter. Hell, people listen to the Rolling Stones and they've been around since before classical music.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Last edited by Venice King at Nov 27, 2009,
Well, this is obviously coming from a source that has little exposure to metal. If so, that list would be a lot diffrent.

I mean, I know those are classic riffs and what not. But, that's not a reason to past them off as the best. I've heard newer, catchier stuff from modern bands.

After all though, it is just a matter of opinion. Each to his own
Quote by Venice King
You didn't really mean it, you criticize that there have been "better" riffs in the past 41 years, but realise that the best riff over the past 41 years might just been one made 41 years ago, it's really to do with chance and probability of one coming up rather than a natural progression which fits chronologically.

Classical pieces of music which were composed hundreds of years ago are still listened to. Time doesn't matter. Hell, people listen to the Rolling Stones and they've been around since before classical music.

I realize that perfectly, I love certain pieces of classical music which have been written several centuries ago.

My complaint is not so much against songs and artists turning into classics and legends. The fact that music can have such a big influence it is remembered for decades or centuries can't be contested. But I don't like the idea that people are slowly turning Hendrix into something that can never be matched (at least in the Rock genre and in terms of guitar mastery). The popularity and impact of his songs can't be denied, you just have to ask anyone about him. But on a pure technical point of view, I don't feel he deserves all this, and I find it to be a shame that he has become a standard cited first above artists I feel were or are much better than he was.

Do you get my point? Yes, his influence and style have been huge. But in my opinion, people should just get over it and give just as much credit to newer talents. I won't be able to defend that with facts, and I have nothing against the guy, it's just my point of view.
---

---
Your main criticism is his technique? Fair enough I never praised that aspect of his playing and I don't think it often is. He was creative, innovative and gave a hell of alot to the genre but I don't think people should have him or anyone else as a standard to reach, that's illogical as creativity can't be objectively measured and therefore can't be compared or contrasted easily.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by Demon Wolf
dragon attaaaack

My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by theogonia777

Are there really
Quote by Kensai
I think it's very good, it's a good choice. #2 on the list however...

THIS exactly.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Page 1 of 2