hi, members of the GB&C!

i have some plywood. i want to make the edges of the plywood round like this:

The person that did this said he managed it with "a bit of sanding".

now... what i want to know is this: is it possible for me to achieve this kind of round wood edges with just hand sanding?

do i have to purchase electronic tools?

if i do have to purchase electronic tools, what would be best for me? a little bit of research led me to the "Orbital Sanding Machine" and the "Belt Sanding Machine" but i really have no idea.

i tried googling it but all i got were "how to make round table tops" or how to make "round table cloth".
Last edited by sharp__edge at Nov 27, 2009,
the decorative edge is done using a router or a shaper. However, the edge is not plywood. It is hardwood glued to the edge of plywood in order to achieve this effect, as evident by the dark glue line around the inside of the moulding. Some types of plywood can be routed but only solid wood core plywood. Chances are, you don't have solid core plywood.
^I don't think thats a glue line, I think it's just a darker layer of ply that you see there, because thats where the edge starts..
and you can see the different layers on the edge, which makes me pretty sure it's plywood on the edge

I could be wrong, though
this is the thread i got the image from: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1078649&page=2&pp=20

here is another image of the edges. i don't think he glued anything extra to the sides to achieve that effect. The TS specified that he used baltic birch plywood.

i'm not too sure what 'solid core plywood' is. this site http://www.paxtonwood.com/PlywoodCore.aspx appears to indicate that the 'core' refers to the material used in between the outermost layers of the plywood.

perhaps stingray5 could tell me a bit more?
Quote by Stingray5
the decorative edge is done using a router or a shaper.

Yes. Just like MintSauce pictured.

Quote by Stingray5
However, the edge is not plywood. It is hardwood glued to the edge of plywood in order to achieve this effect, as evident by the dark glue line around the inside of the moulding.

No. This is birch veneer-core plywood.

Quote by Stingray5
Some types of plywood can be routed but only solid wood core plywood. Chances are, you don't have solid core plywood.

Veneer-core is the most common, that is probably what sharp_edge has. It is what you will likely find at the hardware store, and you can round the edges with a router. It does not work well to rout plywood with an MDF, particle board, or OSB core. But those are not very common. You could also rout lumber-core plywood, but I wouldn't use it for a cab.

If you are making a cab, try to use void-free birch or maple plywood. If you can't use that, get the best pine veneer-core plywood you can find.
The easiest way to round the edges is to use a router bit just like MintSauce pictured. If you must do it by hand, start with a file, then 60grit sandpaper on a block, then (unless you are covering the cab, in which case you can stop here) go with higher grits until you are satisfied with the smoothness.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Nov 27, 2009,
Veneer is simply any cut of wood less than 1/4" thick. Plywood is nothing more than multiple layers (3,5,7,9...) of veneer glued together with rotating grain patterns in order to increase strength. It comes in many varieties but mainly "indoor" or "outdoor"

"the core" is the middle layer. It can be solid hardwood or many different materials, (mdf particleboard, chip board...). Hardwood is generally used indoors and is the most expensive.

in the case of "birch plywood" the title birch most likely refers to the outermost layer of the plywood as the inner layers are usually made of cheaper woods because they will not be seen. Birch is twice the price of Poplar. (http://www.amwoodinc.com/pricelistlandv.aspx)

Edge-banding is a common furniture building technique to make plywood appear as solid wood.

The second photo shows that is a hardwood (indoor) plywood (5 ply) and it is indeed routed. Poorly unfortunately. It's hard to tell anymore than that from those pics.

Incase you're wondering, I'm in a 3 year full-time college woodworking program at the #1 college in Ontario, Canada.
alright, i'll get to doing more enquiring from lumber shops now. the wood should come in by next week if i'm satisfied with the wood im offered.

thanks for the help, Stingray5, Mintsauce, cedricsmods, james4, bashkar and MKY!
Quote by Stingray5
Incase you're wondering, I'm in a 3 year full-time college woodworking program at the #1 college in Ontario, Canada.

I am wondering, in fact, why you thought the edges weren't plywood if you've been studying the topic?

...don't mean to sound like a dick or anything, just askin'.
Quote by Pikka Bird
I am wondering, in fact, why you thought the edges weren't plywood if you've been studying the topic?

anyone could have made that mistake looking at only one pic. i wouldn't want to diss anyone that had the good intention of coming to help me.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Use a guided roundover router cutter:

this.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Pikka Bird

haha fair question. because I had only seen the first picture and the dark line on the inside of the moulding looks like a glue line from an ambitious edge-banding. Pictures are not a reliable way of dissecting wood
Just to clear up the only missing part of the puzzle solid core is used by speaker manufacturers to distinguish between poor quality shuttering ply used in the construction industry for forming the moulds (shuttering) for concrete which has unfilled holes in the inner plies and the higher quality ply with no voids used for speaker cabs
Quote by Phil Starr
Just to clear up the only missing part of the puzzle solid core is used by speaker manufacturers to distinguish between poor quality shuttering ply used in the construction industry for forming the moulds (shuttering) for concrete which has unfilled holes in the inner plies and the higher quality ply with no voids used for speaker cabs

so from what i understand, solid-core is under a classification of "voidless plywood"?

so what i'd really want to look for in a speaker cabinet would be voidless plywood eh?
Quote by sharp__edge
so from what i understand, solid-core is under a classification of "voidless plywood"?

so what i'd really want to look for in a speaker cabinet would be voidless plywood eh?

Not being funny...not at all but; I assume that your intention is to build a cabinet like the one in the picture? Do you think that might be a little ambitious, if you can't work out how to round off corners, even with the suggestion of "sanding"?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
^Also, the thread does mention sanding, but not in a way that unambiguously describes the rounding over of the corners. It was ..."just finished sanding the cab."

Stingray5: Fair enough, but then I might guess that you didn't really look that hard at the picture, am I right?
Quote by Pikka Bird
^Also, the thread does mention sanding, but not in a way that unambiguously describes the rounding over of the corners. It was ..."just finished sanding the cab."

Stingray5: Fair enough, but then I might guess that you didn't really look that hard at the picture, am I right?

In the first post:

Quote by sharp__edge

The person that did this said he managed it with "a bit of sanding".

I would have thought that was a sufficient hint, no?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
^Yeah, but that sentence I quoted is the one and only mention of sanding in the entire thread. It doesn't say that it was the method for rounding the corners. Of course, it might as well be, but I have no reason to believe he didn't just do a little finish sanding after routing.