I was going through some lessons and interviews by Al Di Meola. He stresses heavily the need for tapping one's foot in perfect synchronicity with what one's playing. As per Al, not being able to do this is a major problem. How about you guys? Can you do this all the time? I am a bassist and I can generally move my head or foot along with what I am playing but tapping my foot in absolutely perfect coordination while playing guitar is a bit of a challenge.
it gets simple quick. It's much like bobbing you head. you just need to be able to separate the beat, what you're playing, and what you're thinking about (much like drummers do on a regular basis)
I do it a lot while playing some acoustic, blues or jazzy. It seems to help me a lot when playing with musicians and actors in theatre.

Knowing a bit of the timing-side of theory seems to help co-ordination here, learning the values of time signatures and beats ect. It's really not vital though
Quote by SilverSpurs616

Knowing a bit of the timing-side of theory seems to help co-ordination here, learning the values of time signatures and beats ect.

Guess who I was trying to tap my foot to: Dream Theater!
my guitar teacher said this a few years ago, and i couldnt do it at the time, but after a while you kinda do it naturaly
Yeah, you should pick it up. I can do it to most things, probably form playing bagpipes.....lots of weird signatures are commonly played, like 9/8 and 12/8
don't focus so much on the foot tapping. just focus on what the point of the foot tapping is. staying on time. there are other methods to doing this. it just depends on what your comfortable doing.
I absolutely can't stress enough how important this is. All the metronomes, drum machines, backing tracks, real drummers, in the world won't do you that much good until you do something that internalizes the rhythm for you. That's what tapping your foot does. It's like humming or singing the notes is to ear training. As soon as you are doing rather than just listening, it gets internalized.
When i jam i tap my foot, otherwise if its a song i know and stuff like that i let my heart keep the tempo, like, just go with the flow of the song. Of course i can tap my feet together with the song if i need it, but yeah, I mostly do it when i jam.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P