I'm just getting ready to start gigging soon and I need a good tube amp for gigs that will last a decent amount of time. So far all I've looked at is the VOX AC15. $600 is the cheapest I've seen it and thats closer to the top end of my price range but if it's a good enough amp then its worth it. So what's your experience with this amp and others that would work well at starting gigs.

For starters it will be indie rock most likely, I have a Palmer ES-335 and once i get the amp I'm going to get pedals, so effects that are built in don't mean anything to me.
Used is definitely a possibility but I want to get it from somewhere that I know won't be beaten too badly.
genre? sound you are going for? how many people in you band? what size gigs are we talking?
If you want clean headroom at a decent volume then you might want to go for something a bit larger than the AC15.

Check out something like the Hot Rod Deluxe or Deville from Fender.
It's indie rock with versatility. The ability to go heavy with distortion when it's needed to build up in songs but also a great clean sound for the rest of it.
get something that will have enough clean headroom and you can always get heavier with a pedal when needed.
Quote by lespaulsg09
It's indie rock with versatility. The ability to go heavy with distortion when it's needed to build up in songs but also a great clean sound for the rest of it.

then i would definitely go with a fender, and use pedals for your distortion. the AC15 probably won't give you a great clean sound at high volumes (actually its popular for blues when cranked). most fender OD channels on amps are pretty horrid though so i would suggest a 212 or 410 deville then just get some decent pedals.
If you need decent drive without pedals I'd go classic 30/50 (Cos you're in the US). But for Indie stuff, a hot rod deville would be awesome, but you'd probably want a good dirt pedal for distortion. As for headroom, I'd say 30 watts is usually enough for this kinda thing, but every amp/player/gig is different, maybe 50 watts would be a safer bet
Quote by ProgFolk12
If you need decent drive without pedals I'd go classic 30/50 (Cos you're in the US). But for Indie stuff, a hot rod deville would be awesome, but you'd probably want a good dirt pedal for distortion. As for headroom, I'd say 30 watts is usually enough for this kinda thing, but every amp/player/gig is different, maybe 50 watts would be a safer bet

believe me 30 watts is fine...if you really need the extra volume for a big show just mic it up.
I suggest either a Peavy Classic 30 or a Bugera V22 or V55. Both have great cleans and a sick overdrive/distortion all by themselves, and you can just add pedals if you need to. And they both have really nice glassy reverb.

And what kind of bands are you playing/what kind of band's sound are you trying to emulate?

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
I think a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Deville will suit you very well. Since you are looking for a good clean, Fender is the way to go.
Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?

Quote by lkngro
I suggest either a Peavy Classic 30 or a Bugera V22 or V55. Both have great cleans and a sick overdrive/distortion all by themselves, and you can just add pedals if you need to. And they both have really nice glassy reverb.

And what kind of bands are you playing/what kind of band's sound are you trying to emulate?

and fenders wouldn't do that why...

if you are looking for great clean tones and good reverb, fender beats out peavy hands down. then all you need is a good pedal and it's better in all 3 aspects.
It looks like Fender Hot Rod is going to be the way I go. I can get distortion through pedals, so like others said lack of distortion on the amp isn't a problem.