I've decided the 1/4W setting maybe isn't so loud after all. But what I'd like to do is make it sound more like the louder settings. It sounds amazing at 1 and 4 Watt settings, but muffly at 1/4W.

Now, as far as I know the problem ehre is that it's just shoving a resistor in the mix and resistors = darker tone.

Would the equivalent of a treble bleed cap on a guitar work here? If I put a cap in somewhere, would it stop the tone being affected quite so much, and where should I put it?
You can use a cap across the shunt resistor, typically about 10uF bipolar electrolytic.
Just know that the issue is more complex than "resistors = darker" which is really not a good way to think of how amps work.
I know. Ideally I'd like to look into getting the circuit replaced with one of those kits.

Has anyone actually tried it though? is there a schematic for the AC4TV anywhere? Would I be putting the cap in series or in parallel?
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Nov 27, 2009,
Add a Choke instead of a resistor, that should remove the "darkness" you get.

Or listen to Colin/Roc because he knows his shit

Wait; what series/parallel?
It's probably connected to a switch, which is a 3 position 3 route selector switch that just has all the wires connecting in parallel but only one line is being used.
Last edited by stykerwolf at Nov 27, 2009,
I don't think I've ever soldered in a choke before. What would the difference be exactly?

Also if I increased the value of the resistor, would the 1/4 mode be slightly quieter too(while the cap/choke would help retain more of the tone)?
I think the wattage settings are just an L-pad, so you couldn't use a choke there. You'd put the bypass cap in parallel with the shunt resistor.
Yes, changing the cap for the 1/4 watt mode would change the volume.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
I don't think I've ever soldered in a choke before. What would the difference be exactly?

Also if I increased the value of the resistor, would the 1/4 mode be slightly quieter too(while the cap/choke would help retain more of the tone)?

It's a small transformer that works as a resistor in some amps.

Let's take en example; the JTM45, it has a choke in it. Jim could have put a 25W resistor but it would create hum, so he added a choke.

You'd have to drill through the chassis, and with no handymax experience i don't think you should tackle it on. Plus it will cost a hell lot more then what Colin suggested
Quote by Roc8995
I think the wattage settings are just an L-pad, so you couldn't use a choke there. You'd put the bypass cap in parallel with the shunt resistor.
Yes, changing the cap for the 1/4 watt mode would change the volume.

If I added a cap would it be quieter or louder?
It might get a little bit louder, but it would mostly just add brightness. Keep in mind that the settings might share one shunt resistor so you'd have the treble boost in the 1 watt setting as well.
So how would I reduce the loudness of the 1/4W setting to counter? Other than turning the tone down. If I swapped out the resistor altogether with a stronger one. What value should I use?