My birthday is on the 27th of december so I can get a joined birthday/Christmas present. At the moment I play an Ibanez S470 through a Roland Cube 60. To be honest the amp isn't bad and I can get some pretty good tones out of it, but I'm looking for an amp that I can buy and use for years to come.

I don't really have a budget at the moment but I can imagine I can spend at THE MOST £600. I'm not sure whether I should get a combo or a head/cab. Since I won't be gigging for a while and I will also be practicing in my house and with a drummer i'm heading towards a combo for practicality and transport.

What really are the adavantages of a head/cab over a combo? Apart from volume and maybe a fuller sound.

I play mostly metal and 'shred', so i'm looking for tones like Steve Vai, but also heavier like Killswitch Engage. But also cleans are important and I play lower gain rock like Foo fighters and Muse. - And also tones similar to Eric Johnson.

I've been looking into the Peavey 6505 plus and it looks good for metal. But I've heard it's bad for cleans. I can't play at shops. What would you recommend?
Last edited by guitar12 at Nov 27, 2009,
If your practise room has a cab in it already and local bands share cabs (like they do in Leeds) then a head and cab will be more practical. The downside is it's more expensive to buy a head/cab than a combo.

Foo Fighters use Vox I think and Muse uses a not very well know and pretty new brand that come in sexy aluminium cabs. I'll leave the reccomendations to other people
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
maybe an orange amp? got that british voicing and can do really heavy stuff. don't know which specific model to recommend and i don't know prices or anything, but look into them.
Carvin Legacy II.

It should fit your needs.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz