Page 1 of 2
Is The Pit able to provide some sense of maturity to n00bs and trolls?

I know what you're thinking... memes and pears and such aren't exactly high brow humor, and it's not like going on a guitar forum is some test of manhood.

But my argument is this: people who come to this board being n00bish and unfunny are initially rejected as "09ers" or what have you for being irritating. While some choose the path of excessive trolling, the more sensitive ones start to change their behavior to be more accepted by the bulk of the forum. Now, this could be a sign of conformity for conformity's sake, but is it possible some learn a thing or two about respecting others' opinions or how A7X is nowhere near the "best band EVAR".

I know it's a stretch, but do you guys think some people actually GAIN something from wasting their time here?
No, nothing is gained.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
You're asking the Pit this?

If anything you lose something.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
lol, no way ^^
Gear
-----
Ibanez SA-S32 FMTL
Engl Screamer Head
Engl SS412 V60 Celestion
Engl Z5 Footswitch
Ibanez Delay
BOSS MegaDistortion
LOL kind of expected that.

I know if such a thing happens, it happens to a very small fraction of users. I'm just asking if my "theory" has ANY chance of having some shred of truth.
Well, I learned while being it the pit...
Ah screw it, who am I fooling? I didn't learn sh*t in the pit.
Quote by Monolisk
respecting others' opinions or how A7X is nowhere near the "best band EVAR".

Exactly what i've learnt in my time here.
Quote by comftrblynum
Very disappointing thread content - was hoping for someone pleading for their cherry to be popped by the pit.

/sigh/

\
le sigh. the only post that didnt contain some form of the word "no" but i believe that

>.>

<.<

wait for it.........yes. but in very few instances. thats all ill say
Being a Bass player is pretty LOW i.m.o...
My Gear:
squier strat HSS
(coming soon) hand built superstrat style.
(coming soon) hand built mahogany spruce top acoustic.
Fender Mustang I 20w
Line 6 FLoor POD (standard)
Hate to break the chain of negative replies, but yes. Since joining UG my musical horizons have broadened greatly. Seeing as I spend 90% of my UG time in the Pit, something must've happened. Also a whole load of other stuff but to a lesser extent.

You can get something out of the Pit if you know where to look for it.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Every post here shows that we are conforming to everyone else and TS I guess you were right.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
Possibly, I remember when I joined like 4 years ago, I was a bit of a troll. You eventually learn how the people in the pit act and respond to most stuff.

Example: "this one time i got super drunk and this cop was like hey your drunk! so i punched him in the face and went and got drunk again loloolol"

Generally, people on here are more mature than your everyday high school student and statements like this are frowned upon, and nobody thinks your cool.

SL4Y3R PWNZ!!
Yes.

A lot of people start out by spamming and trolling. Then I smack them around a bit, and they straighten out their act. Mostly.

I still don't know where I went wrong with Kensai though...
Actually, I did learn how to respond quick and witty to well, everything.
And I massively improved my English, because I practice it here a lot.
Maybe.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by comftrblynum
even the name 'the pit' reflects the nature of its discourse. It's entertainment, not a place of enlightenment. Hopefully people learn to respect differing opinions as they grow up with UG but I doubt that growth would be caused by the pit...

That statement implys that this "community" is raising some of its younger pit dwellers. Oh god...
Yes
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
I have grown in maturity yes.

I've become less elitist, learned to question what I had once accepted as a reality, I've learned many things both philosophically and otherwise, and I've met some amazing people who help me daily.

SO yeah, I've grown up because of the pit.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

This place is the largest guitar community on the web. I joined here 3 months ago hoping to exchange theory ideas, and join a nice community. I haven't found this to be a place I want to stay, even though it is the largest community. Hard to explain why - just a nasty place. First you will get told to F off for no reason, and the conversation ends. That really kills it for me. You have to be nice. If some people just want to be trolls, then what's the point of being on an internet forum? Just go out and do some kickboxing or let out your anger in a vigorous physical activity instead...

No comparison between some of the other forums I frequent. On the other forums most of the people are mature and humble. They are always willing to help and contribute. I found all feedback given at these other forums is constructive. Certain topics are always prohibited though because they start fires absolutely everywhere.

I would honestly hate to have to moderate a place like this. But i would just be banning without warning left and right.
I feel like a better person than i was before i discovered the pit.

Not because of the pit though. The pit is shit
^ It is like this in most parts of the forums, except the pit. But then again, that is what makes it the pit. I have learned a fair amount especially in the GB&C forums, and even in the pit, there are things like the 'Write a limerick about the person above you' that do help, and who knows, i found out I love to limerick.

EDIT:

I don't feel like I started out as a troll. At least if I did, I didn't mean to. Ignorant, yes, but then again, most of the pit still is.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Last edited by MonkeyLink07 at Nov 27, 2009,
Actually, I think it can.

I know I for one am a more mature and accepting individual due to this site.

Don't know if that's pathetic or not, but it's true.
Avenged Sevenfold is my favorite band. They are good musicians, great songwriters, and their sound changes a lot from album to album.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by daytripper75
Yes.

A lot of people start out by spamming and trolling. Then I smack them around a bit, and they straighten out their act. Mostly.

I still don't know where I went wrong with Kensai though...

You never took me out for ballgames. Like my real dad.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
You never took me out for ballgames. Like my real dad.

Everyone knows Pitmokeys take themselves out for ballgames. At least 5 times a day.
Quote by Monolisk
Is The Pit able to provide some sense of maturity to n00bs and trolls?

I know what you're thinking... memes and pears and such aren't exactly high brow humor, and it's not like going on a guitar forum is some test of manhood.

But my argument is this: people who come to this board being n00bish and unfunny are initially rejected as "09ers" or what have you for being irritating. While some choose the path of excessive trolling, the more sensitive ones start to change their behavior to be more accepted by the bulk of the forum. Now, this could be a sign of conformity for conformity's sake, but is it possible some learn a thing or two about respecting others' opinions or how A7X is nowhere near the "best band EVAR".

I know it's a stretch, but do you guys think some people actually GAIN something from wasting their time here?

...take. it. bak
<Han> I love Hitler
Page 1 of 2